Yell Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.9
Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is easy to manage and as much as you're encouraged to perform well there's also a clear focus on having fun at the same time" (in 24 reviews)

• "quality service well managed and great people to work with" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "finding time to have a healthy work life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "Lots to juggle, Long hours and have to be committed to succeed" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Premise in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Premise in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Training, Great Benefits, Brilliant People

Cons

Hard work but really rewarding. The training will help you succeed

2. "Great"

I worked at Yell full-time

Pros

Loved it was really good

Cons

Wasnt any cons to mention

3. "Digital specialist, Scarborough"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

I have just starting working for yell on the onboarding team, having been working for another company for 14 years so I was nervous starting somewhere else. I couldn't fault on how friendly and welcoming people are here and there is a good support network.
    I would definitely recommend working here to a friend or family member.

Cons

None that I can see

4. "DS Scarborough"

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

Positive and supportive colleagues and working environnment. I enjoy coming to work and getting on with the job!

Cons

There are none at the moment!

5. "Good so far"

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People make it a great place to work

Cons

The lifts in birmingham can end up making you late for your shift which would start at 8.30

6. "Hard work but rewarding"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Yell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Busy and hard work will bring success

Cons

Poor customer feedback can cause complaints

Advice to Management

Keep working on getting the customer journey right

7. "RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN"

I worked at Yell full-time

Pros

I couldnt even think of one

Cons

Horrible pressure and targets
    Most of the people in the office just sleep with each other to get higher
    Manager dont listen
    Bribe you with incentives while making you pick up 40 jobs a day
    Websites are templates

Advice to Management

Just be better

8. "Great company with potential to grow"

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

One team ethos, sharing of best practice is great and help is there if you need it.

Cons

Clients are now expecting to see a different account manager each year.

Advice to Management

Amend account allocation process, to ensure that any accounts which are grown in current quarter are retained into the next quarter.

"Take the training and move on swiftly"

I worked at Yell full-time

Pros

Great sales training. Good people. Solid benefits.

Cons

If you are a genuine high performer or someone with a high professional ceiling a career at Yell should be no more than a stepping stone on your journey. Too many talented people wasting their skills in a company with poor to average prospects. This means the opportunity for personal growth and development is seriously limited for the best people.

Advice to Management

Be brave enough to decentralise some of the strategic decision making to the people that know the product or the market better than those people sat in HQ.

"In lieu of an exit interview"

Former Employee - Digital Customer Services Executive in Scarborough, England (UK)

I worked at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Increased incentives of late – genuine attempts being made to make the company look like it cares for its employees
    Decent pay for the area
    By and large my line manager has been great

Cons

The Quality Assurance role:
    In many ways the role is a truly Sisyphean task – no matter how much feedback and training and support we offer, the quality of the end-product never changes. Just when we think we’ve managed to get the writers/designers to do something right, that ol’ offshore boulder rolls right back down to where it started. And then we do it over, and over, and over…

At the risk of mixing metaphors, this really does create a downward spiral leading to a poor end-product for the customer. We’re given far too little time to fix the magnitude and multitude of errors that are created when a company insists on offshoring as many products and services as possible, which results in the customer on most occasions getting something at best underwhelming, and at worst completely wrong for them.

The team is generally under-utilised and frequently threatened with redundancy, which creates an unhappy work environment – nobody likes to feel as though their contribution means nothing.
    Personally, all of the above left me feeling fatigued and worn out, which is why I have found a new job elsewhere.

Yell as a whole:
    Upper management in Yell is seemingly at a loss with what to do with itself most of the time. Senior management positions are swapped and changed between a small number of people with what appears to be little thought about who actually has the right experience for each job – a case of blindly smashing different shaped blocks into different shaped holes until something fits.

This disjointed approach leads to a constant stream of poor choices, with the entire senior management team working in a reactive rather than proactive manner – what’s of vital importance one month is tossed thoughtlessly aside the next when a shiny new process/product/idea comes into view.

This shouldn’t be a huge issue – Yell is, after all, a company working in the digital marketplace, where fast decisions and changes are a matter of course. The problem begins, however, when the company has an approach to rolling out anything new which can be most kindly described as shambolic. There’s far too much ‘blue-sky thinking’ as they call it, and any attempts to discuss possible difficulties which could arise are often waved away as petulant naysaying. In my mind, when introducing a new product/process etc, a company should engage with the staff who will be using it day to day to get a better idea of any potential pitfalls, in order to tackle issues BEFORE they arise, rather than after.

Speaking of the staff working in the office – there are some very talented, very savvy people working here. Yell doesn’t even know what it’s got half the time, as there are resources untapped which could honestly make the company much better than it is. However, there’s little chance of advancement of any kind for all but a select few.

For example, there’s the way that anyone choosing to become a manager or trainer or coach will be put on one secondment after another, rather than being offered a concrete role following the initial bedding-in period. It’s a genuinely awful way to treat employees who want to exceed and give more to the company.

On the plus side, at least these roles are still onshore – Yell is unnecessarily zealous about offshoring EVERYTHING they think they can get away with. Large chunks of our customer service department? Offshored. Most of HR? Offshored. PPC creation? Offshored. Website design? Offshored. Copywriting? Oh you’d better believe that’s offshored. As mentioned above, this leads to Yell’s customers receiving subpar products across the board.

This, I feel, betrays a profound and flagrant misunderstanding of how to create satisfied customers – simply harping on about ‘great customer service’ while providing disappointing products isn’t going to lead to happy clients. For example, if I were to frequent a restaurant that served nothing but wasp-stinger sandwiches and nettle-juice, the fact that the serving staff were peppy and helpful wouldn’t be enough to make me rate the establishment, not to recommend it to anyone– the quality of the product should be of paramount importance.

Ignoring the customer-facing side of things, possibly the biggest issue that Yell has (and has always had) is a real issue with accurate data management and analysis. At no point do any of the figures reported in the office match up with the work put in – at some points, they cease to even display any sense of logic at all. As an example, there was at time when the entire quality team (in preparation for an incentive) was ranked as working -0.something jobs an hour. MINUS. To do that, we’d have had to create new work for ourselves, and then not do it. When this issue was raised, we were waved away with an attitude of ‘well, that’s what the stats say’. Logic has no place here.

Advice to Management

All in all, what’s most frustrating is that Yell could be a much better place to work, and a much better run company to boot. It just refuses to address some fundamental issues with its business practices, namely:
    • Fear of experts – instead of hiring people who know what they’re doing from outside the company, they just shuffle around the same handful of people internally
    • Offshoring – it’s relentless, it’s damaging, it’s short-term gain for long-term loss
    • Data management – hire some proper analysts; as above, it’ll cost more in the short term, but pay off in the long
    As mentioned, the pay really isn’t bad for the area, and if you settle into your rut you can get along alright. However, after 6 years of the same old thing, I really just needed to move on.

Yell Response

27 Nov 2018 – Head of Production and Process Quality

Thank you for your feedback. It is not clear when you left the Scarborough site from your review, however, I am very confident that if you visited our site you will see some very big differences. We... More