Yelp Employee Reviews about "free food"

Updated 7 Aug 2020

3.3
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,458 Ratings
Pros
  • "They offer a very good benefits program as well as free food and drink everyday(in 252 reviews)

• "Great Culture, Fun Environment, Great People(in 188 reviews)

Cons
  • "Calling business owners that have a negative set mindset about Yelp(in 230 reviews)

• "Sales are drive through cold calls, you'll need to have a growth mindset(in 76 reviews)

Reviews about "free food"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "The good stuff is good, the bad stuff is bad"

4.0
    Former Employee - Restaurant Success Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paid decent, main offices had free food and coffee, flexible hours.

Cons

Didn't care about smaller offices - no food or perks, salaries varied a lot despite being on the same team, had to use own credit card for travel.

Yelp Response

August 3, 2020

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the flexible work schedule and the variety of free food and snacks in our offices. We understand your concerns around some of those perks not being as widely available at smaller offices. Our goal is to ensure that all employees at Yelp, regardless of their location, feel that they are included and treated as equals. It sounds like there's some room for improvement in terms of the food or perks offered in those smaller offices, and we'll be sure to pass up this feedback to our leadership team.

2. "Would not recommend this job to anyone with social awareness"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food, fun people, great benefits, gym reimbursement, aggressive sales training

Cons

Your manager makes or breaks the job, they think you need to eat breath and sleep Yelp, not ethical sales, you tell business owners they won’t reach their daily cap but they can easily triple it, they make it very much so a pack mentality, not treated like an adult at all, not able to take PTO, told to be there early but it is an hourly position so you will not get paid, even the fun stuff is treated like part of your job(mandatory)making it less fun.

Yelp Response

August 10, 2020

We appreciate your feedback and are saddened to hear your time at Yelp was anything less than inspiring. We know that employee perks can only go so far if you don't have a positive relationship with your manager. Yelp encourages employees to take time off from work to refresh and recharge when needed. Unless a pattern develops, it is generally not our intent to discourage an employee from taking their earned PTO. We also want to make sure employees feel comfortable to share their concerns about their work schedule with their managers so we can ensure we're making any reasonable accomodations. We'll be passing up your feedback to our leadership team so we can make sure we're making improvements where it counts! We're thankful for your time at Yelp and wish you the best of luck in the next step of your career.

3. "Solid First Sales Job"

4.0
    Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Training Free Food Barista Open floor plan People are open to giving advice

Cons

A little culty Too much drama A little bit of micromanaging

4. "if you dont like cold calling dont apply"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

free food, great location, awesome training investment

Cons

cold calling, begging and arguing for sales, being in a loud room, being extremely micro managed

Continue reading

"Discrimination like I've never seen in a workplace before"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free food, free health benefits and gym membership

Cons

"Yelp Kool-Aid" is a real thing. Stocked kitchen and kegs after work drew you in. Once you settle in, you'll start to notice the culture is terrible. There is discrimination is all aspects (age, gender, race, what school you went to, what sorority/fraternity you were in, etc.). You advance and get favored if your manager likes you (based on the above criteria). This includes better/bigger territories, promotions, etc. They claim that they believe in work/life balance, when truly, as a manager, we were given tasks to do OUTSIDE of work on our own time almost every day. We were required to show up extremely early and stay extremely late to get things done. I would often get criticized for using PTO or sick days, even though I never went over my allotted balance. The expectations as a manager were extremely unrealistic, and the compensation definitely made it not worth it. If you have sales experience, I highly recommend that you DO NOT work here. You will be brain washed, with upper management telling you to blame everything on yourself and that everything that goes wrong is your own fault. They don't care about their people, not one bit. Oh, and one last thing: They laid off people via a pre-recorded video with 0 days notice, 0 transparency.

Continue reading

"Micromanage - Cult Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Food, Free Beer snacks

Cons

Micromanage, Cult Like environment, All leadership was raised & promoted within, leadership does not like managers hired from the outside, brainwashed young college students, shady practices and the cost-per-click algorithm is questionable. Leadership is racist

Continue reading

"Great out of college job but you’ll struggle to pay bills"

Former Employee - User Ops in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great coworkers and free food

Cons

A lot of favoritism and constantly promoting people who under perform or lack overal knowledge of the operations. Miserable environment with forced smiles If you enjoy false promises and small “bonuses” this is the place for you.

"Company that doesnt care about its employees"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- A lot of opportunity to be promoted quickly. - Free food & drinks - Many very good people there

Cons

I worked at Yelp for a few years, both as a sales rep & in management. I very rarely felt like the company cared about me or any of its employees. While kegs and games are fun, what is way more important to employees is some degree of autonomy and respect from their managers. The rules were rigid, employees were treated like children, and everyone faced incredible stress. I was a high performer who was promoted multiple times and played by all the Yelp rules. Nonetheless, I was consistently very stressed & not supported. Finally, the lack of diversity amongst senior leadership of the office is deeply troubling. Yelp is a company that touts diversity, but in reality, is all talk. I know Yelp very well from many years there, and would never recommend it.

Continue reading

"Stay away from modern day slavery"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, free food, Downtown, good friends

Cons

Management, Sales Directors, Scheduled lunches. Felt like college, lack of vision

10. "Decent not great"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Free food which is nice

Cons

Sell, sell, sell mentality. No room for individual thought

Found 252 reviews