Yelp Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated 3 Aug 2020

3.3
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,458 Ratings
Pros
  • "They offer a very good benefits program as well as free food and drink everyday(in 252 reviews)

• "Great Culture, Fun Environment, Great People(in 188 reviews)

Cons
  • "Calling business owners that have a negative set mindset about Yelp(in 230 reviews)

• "Sales are drive through cold calls, you'll need to have a growth mindset(in 76 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A foot on the ladder"

2.0

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Got a foot in the door with tech and worked with some great people. Plenty of benefits and a great social side

Cons

The product is horrible. And insanely overpriced. While some good, senior staff were abismal. Regularly fed false information and a hugely creepy, cultish atmosphere.

Continue reading
  2. "Great place to start out"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

great people, culture, and benefits

Cons

Sales can be difficult if you are not cut out for it every opportunity for growth is directly related to sales some managers were not great performers

"One big corporate sorority"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great office, healthy snacks, free coffee and beer. Met some great people

Cons

If not in with office heads your opinion doesn’t matter. Managers are too inexperienced and don’t get enough training

Yelp Response

August 4, 2020

Thank you for sharing feedback on your experience. We work hard to ensure that every employee at Yelp feels valued and included, and we’re deeply sorry that this wasn’t the case during your time with us. When it comes to our managers, we ensure they all go through a rigorous Leadership Development Program before being selected for management. We pride ourselves on promoting from within, and as a result we give some leaders the opportunity to do so for the first time in their career. We value training for all of our employees, including our managers, so training and coaching is an ongoing part of their career at Yelp. We take all feedback seriously, and will pass it up to our leadership team.

4. "Great Place To Grow"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great People to work with, Will teach you the in and outs of sales,

Cons

If you don't keep a positive mindset you will not be able to focus on the job

5. "Good place to learn"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people (coworkers, managers, directors), good vibes and fun atmosphere, open kitchen, great health benefits, world class offsites and holiday parties.

Cons

Call center, deal with a lot of rejection, mentally draining.

6. "Not Bad"

4.0

I worked at Yelp part-time for more than a year

Pros

good benefits, working with great people

Cons

not a lot of space for growth

7. "SAE"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Build good relationships and always get the help you need.

Cons

Tedious work. Becomes repetitive and growth is not as appealing.

"Great company but lacking much"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, great people. Great benefits. Management was wonderful.

Cons

Compensation was grossly underpaid. No opportunity for growth.

9. "Don't Do It"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll meet some great people and trauma bond over the awful experience.

Cons

Everything. The environment and culture will definitely take a toll on your mental health.

10. COVID-19

"The role has potential. Just know what you're getting into"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Industry-leading sales experience- They have been selling the product for so long that they have perfected the sales process (It would be nice if they did this with the product too). You'll become a very good salesperson if you put your head down and put effort into getting better. Career growth opportunities (not as much of a pro as it used to be)- Used to have many avenues to grow your career (i.e. Management, Restaurants, Enterprise) but they have slowly stopped hiring for various teams (i.e. Franchise) and it's hard to say what the future holds after the massive company changes from Covid-19 Personal Growth- This could vary from person to person because this job is truly what you make of it. You can choose to be that bad employee that sits around all day avoiding work and playing on your phone (which quite frankly is a waste of time considering time is money in sales and you can probably be getting paid more to be a front-desk attendant to do the same thing), or you can actually try and grow as a salesperson and professional. There's nothing more gratifying than having a breakout month or even a good week because you focused on your work and achieved your goals. I've had some great moments like this that I hope I never forget. Great people- The other reviews aren't lying when they say you will meet great people here. They actually hire you based on your ability to connect with people since you don't need prior experience. It's most likely the reason you'll want to stick it out and stay with the company (pro-tip: this alone is not a good reason to stay at any company. You can leave the company and still remain friends/keep in touch). Great office- Absolutely stunning office in NYC right on Madison that spans the whole city block (not very common). They have 3 floors in that building and a new floor in the building across the park above Eataly. There's plenty of space and great amenities such as a Barista that serves whatever type of coffee you want for free. Kitchen stocked with fruit, bagels, and snacks to take advantage of. Beer on tap for after hours... yea it's a cool office Great benefits- solid Health, Dental, Vision. 401k matching actually got better this past year. Health used to be completely free until they started charging 50/month for it but it's still totally worth it.

Cons

*insert obligatory "Where to begin?" I'll preface this by saying a lot of these negative reviews are from people (most likely kids fresh out of school) who have very unrealistic expectations about what a sales job entails. "Having a monthly quota/target" is not a con with working for Yelp as every sales role has monthly expectations such as these. The same goes for having to cold-call businesses. These are things that were made clear by the recruiters during the interview process and you should not take the job unless you're prepared to deal with such things. Commission/compensation: This is the primary reason why I don't see a long-term career with the company. All positions from AEs to the director level are severely underpaid compared to the competition. Average to low-performing reps are not making good money and even the top reps that are making good money could be making double at another company. Something to consider when the cost of living in NYC is what it is. Management- This is such a gamble as your manager will have a very big impact on whether or not you succeed in the role and even get promoted. The training managers are reps that performed well (most of which did so by using misleading language) who are not actually trained on how to manage human beings. Your job as a manager is to use your reps to close deals- that's it. Once you're off their team they will pretend like you don't exist (some are really cool and won't do that but the serious ones that are top managers will do this). A lot of them (not all) will use emotions to manipulate you to work harder/ produce more revenue. I had one manager bring us into a room right before lunch and break down sobbing crying because we didn't reach our goal for the morning.. let that sink in. This is already a stressful job and doing things like this only compound that. The second problem with management is that they don't care about your growth. After a certain point, they stop caring about helping you improve as a rep. They also won't care about helping you get promoted if they already have someone on the team that has a higher potential of getting promoted (most likely from favoritism). Now keep in mind not every manager is like this, but about 95% are. There are great managers who do a great job of promoting and managing reps but they are few and far between. You can try to request to be on their team but the chances of that actually happening are akin to winning the lottery. Culture- As others have stated. This place can have a very fratty culture at times. It can change based on which neighborhood you're in but generally there's a large majority of people that are only interested in getting drunk after work and sleeping around. The gossip is insane and if you start seeing or dating someone it quickly becomes public knowledge. It's not uncommon to hear about managers/directors sleeping with reps and in some cases, it's not even a secret! I've met a lot of exceptionally bright people while working here but a lot of them really need to start acting their age.

Found 188 reviews