Zalando Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 3 Aug 2020

3.5
Zalando CEO Robert Gentz
Robert Gentz
Pros
  • "The work life balance is great and I have never been pressured to work out of hours or weekends in my time here(in 47 reviews)

• "flexible work environment and based on commission(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • "My Team lead salary was 70K or less(in 19 reviews)

• "Like any big company, polities can be a bit stressing at times(in 13 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good Good Good"

Current Employee - Administrative in Pune

I have been working at Zalando full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Good Good Good Good

Cons

Good Work Life balance, work from home

Continue reading
  2. "Good Place to start out"

Former Intern - Junior Designer in Berlin

I worked at Zalando for less than a year

Pros

The people. Good work life Balance.

Cons

Culture & Values could be more distinct and clear.

August 5, 2020Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and share your feedback. We are glad to hear that you highlight our people and great work life balance at Zalando. We aim to create a culture of open communication, shared responsibility and transparency. And we believe that to date, our culture is one of our biggest strengths. It is built on Our Founding Mindset, a set of values that make us unique and serve as a guide for everyday leadership, at all levels of the company. If you have any ideas or suggestions how we can make our culture and values stand out even more, please feel free to share your thoughts with us: eb@zalando.de. Wishing you all the best and continued success in your role!

"Great company with great work life balance and great benefits"

Current Employee - QA Automation Test Engineer in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance Work culture Learning opportunities Latest technology Zalando discount

Cons

There is no vision for long term.

July 10, 2020Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate your input and hope you will continue learning and enjoying your experience at Zalando.

"Nice culture, but a bit chaotic"

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Berlin

I worked at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

International teams, big communities in any job family, learning budget, good work life balance, good tech equipment, volunteering opportunities

Cons

Frequent change of strategy and organizational approach, but slow in following through

"Judgmental and Discriminatory Workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin

I worked at Zalando full-time

Pros

Good processes are in place. Discount on zalando products

Cons

The Employee Relations unit is a huge fail. The so-called HRBP barely know what they are doing. Their job is to reinforce the company policies and remind the employees about those policies. When it comes to conflict management, they avoid it at all cost. Is it a racist work environment? Absolutely!!! I witnessed firsthand employees whom were oppressed by either their own lead or lead from another unit. People are being yelled at and everyone is meant to say nothing about it. During my first week, I witnessed two employees have an exploded argument and it felt toxic. Word of advise: before taking a job with any employer read the comments on glassdoor. Do not ignore these comments, every negative comment i read before joining was true. Zalando proudly says over 90% of their hires are from outside Germany which translates into diversity hire--- well, this is because of your poor reputation in Germany. The only locals who accept your job offers only accept it as a survival job! They have a suck-up culture. If you don't suck-up to your lead, forget promotion, salary increment etc. Some of the business units are amazing but some are toxic!! There is barely a proper work-life balance .... work overload is one of the reasons why most of the employees are unnecessarily agitated and paranoid. Workplace gossip and talks behind your back? Zalando! sometimes they even have your quick meetings about you right under your nose. Worst place i ever worked.

June 30, 2020Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience in this role. This is not the type of work experience we strive to create at Zalando and we take these matters seriously so we can work on improving. Your feedback is helpful for us to focus on strengthening our action plan of how to avoid this in the future. We'd specifically like to address your concerns regarding our Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) efforts in the workplace. We have a zero tolerance policy for discrimination and we want to create an environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and included at the workplace. By raising cases as you have and providing us feedback, it allows us to understand where things did not work and share feedback to respective teams to improve matters like these in the future. Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and D&I team are playing an active role in driving change by advising managers and helping Zalando make more informed decisions to promote diversity and inclusion throughout the company. As one of the initiatives, we are currently in the process of restructuring our training landscape to offer company-wide D&I workshops that would be mandatory for all employees. This will also give us a chance to further expand our D&I trainings and workshops on topics inclusive of discrimination to help strengthen the feeling of belonging and mutual support. But we are actively working on next steps to become a more diverse and inclusive organization and help make sustained long-term change. If you’d like to have a further discussion please feel free to reach out to us: eb@zalando.de and we can put you in touch with our Senior Diversity & Inclusion manager if needed.

6. COVID-19

"A company that doesn't trust its employees"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time

Pros

40% discount in clothing for employees

Cons

Basically our working conditions keep getting worse and worse. More things are being pushed top to bottom that erode them. - Management has already hinted that working from home won't be allowed after Covid, despite everyone working as hard as before. This policy of not allowing home office was always strong and it shows how much they trust employees and care about work-life balance. - Salary freeze for 2020, despite the share price being at its highest.

June 16, 2020Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for providing us your feedback. We are grateful you took the time to share it with us so we can work on improving. We'd specifically like to address your concerns regarding the decision to not increase salaries in 2020 and our mobile working policy. In response to the Covid-19 situation and its impact on our business, we have set keeping our talents safe as our highest priority ensuring health and safety measures are in line with the official regulations. In this context, we believe it’s important to evaluate our investments. In doing so we were guided by the principle of prioritizing non-personnel cost savings over personnel cost savings to minimize the impact on our employees. We believe we have found an approach that allows us to get through this situation collectively as a team and contribute to keep the company healthy. In regards to our mobile working policy, there are currently no plans to retract this. We want to enable work time flexibility as much as possible but keeping in mind that Zalando has many work environments which require different work time models. For most of our teams mobile working is possible according to relevance and the requirements of a talent’s tasks and is usually up to 4 working days per month. If you'd like to have a further discussion, please feel free to reach out to me Sonja Sinterhauf - sonja.sinterhauf@zalando.de

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Germany in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dynamic, Agile, Work-Life Balance, Mindest that its employees are its assets.

Cons

Not much to write. One of its biggest strengths to adapt quickly can sometimes be perceived as a problem by outsiders.

June 10, 2020Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying working in a dynamic, agile and adaptable working environment and hope you will continue having a great experience at Zalando!

"Perfect Work-Life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work Life balance - Stability - Great support for relocation

Cons

- It's a huge company, processes can be slow sometimes

"Great team spirit and collaboration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are looking to learn and develop your career, Zalando is the right place. I found that every team member is super friendly and helpful as well as dedicated to their job, you would always get the information you need on how to handle you task, which makes it efficient to collaborate. Lead are very interested in your development and needs. I am a single mother and my leads are very flexible and understanding to my needs, they are also willing to offer adjustments so that I could enjoy a work-life balance.

Cons

Sometimes the processes are quite complicated, but the company is already looking into implementing tools which will improve the effectiveness.

10. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer

I have been working at Zalando full-time

Pros

Work life balance was good

Cons

Very corporate enviroment, felt more tech than fashion

Found 56 reviews