Zenefits Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.1
Zenefits CEO Jay Fulcher
Jay Fulcher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fully stocked kitchen which is nice since you won't want to / be able to go out for lunch on some days since you will be so busy (in 26 reviews)

• Free food & drink so you're never "hangry" (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Awful manager/ employee communication No work/life balance (in 56 reviews)

• High expectations and long hours (in 50 reviews)

1. "first-rate leadership - great energy - passionate employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zenefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Under new leadership, Zenefits is thriving and am excited to be a part of the team. Excellent technology, fun environment and feel like I contribute to company goals

Cons

a few leftover employees from the old days that can be defensive...

Advice to Management

Keep up with the transparency and consistent communication

"Awesome mission, great peers, fantastic leadership!"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zenefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Jay is an incredibly transparent CEO, which is important to me in a leader. His standing desk is central and makes him very accessible; anyone can talk to him about the company or ask questions.
    - The vibe is incredibly progressive, inclusive, and makes coming to work really fun. We have meaningful discussions about hot topics to ensure we're ourselves actively improving our internal people management.
    - Learning and growth fostered and encouraged. I've moved into many different roles at Zenefits based on my interests, and have had unlimited personal and professional growth opportunities.

I've been here for a long time and have seen management and the business change. I can say 100% these changes have been for the better and I LOVE working here now.

Cons

I would have said a month ago that it's difficult to keep up with the new faces as we hire new employees, but recently Zenefits started doing happy hours to welcome each new class and that's no longer an issue.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency into company goals and obstacles!

24 Apr 2018 – CPO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We appreciate the positive feedback and are happy to have you on the team.

3. "Family to Coorporate"

I worked at Zenefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have the potential to grow and be great.

Cons

As a start up, the environment was very close nit and family related. When Parker left, it lost that feeling.

4. "Content Creator"

I have been working at Zenefits full-time

Pros

From day 1 I have felt supported by my team. It still feels like a small startup environment in that I have the room to exercise creativity and take on bits of other roles if I so choose. There is a ton of internal mobility and flexibility and the culture is wonderful-- fun and inclusive.

Cons

The company is still in the midst of some change, so sometimes it's hard to keep up.

16 Apr 2018 – CPO

Hi there! We are so happy to hear you are enjoying your ZenNation experience. We strive to empower our employees to run with work that excites them, and we're thrilled that you're embracing... More

5. "Love this place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Zenefits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's all good here. I just love it!

Cons

None that I can see right now

16 Apr 2018 – CPO

Hi there, and thank you for your review! On behalf of all of Zenefits, we're thrilled to have you part of the ZenNation family and are excited to be working together

6. "Don't Be Afraid to Try Zenefits -- Good Experience Overall"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Zenefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- In AZ you work in a beautiful high rise with amazing views
    - Good IT infrastructure (MacBooks, VOIP phones, VPN architecture, etc.)
    - Opportunity to work with some great products
    - Catered lunches (daily in AZ)
    - A convenience store worth of premium snacks and beverages for the taking
    - Excellent health/life insurance benefit options that the company pays the majority of
    - Nice couches and seating areas to get away from your desk
    - Non-accruing PTO ("unlimited")
    - Fair salaries and good work/life balance

Cons

- Not nearly enough work space. Employee desks aren’t much bigger than the desk you sat at in high school
    - Noisy working conditions – There’s a high expectation to engage customers on the phone, which is difficult when co-workers are screaming, cheering, banging gongs, etc.
    - Sick constantly – Colds and flus run rampant, in large part due to the close working conditions. At least the company provides good medical insurance, complimentary EmergenC, Purell, and cold medicine
    - Tools/resources needed to do your job (i.e. software) are often taken away and you're told to, 'Figure out how to do more with less.' (A common mantra at start-ups.)
    - Unstable – Rolls out new business models constantly, invests in employee training, then rips it up and throws it out the window. I saw the business/service model change no less than 4 times in 1.5 years with Zenefits.

Advice to Management

Give employees cubicles and/or more workspace in general. Equip employees better to do their jobs.

16 Apr 2018 – CPO

Hi there, thank you for your review. We take your feedback seriously and hear your concern about a noisy working environment in our Arizona office. We are connecting with our office management team... More

7. "Good food and pay and nothing else"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Zenefits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good engineers
    Good work (sometimes)

Cons

Less empathy.
    Poor leadership.
    Less development and more maintenance.

"This place is awful"

I worked at Zenefits full-time

Pros

none this place was awful

Cons

no transparency
    awful management
    poor pay

"Great people, great opportunity, still early in its maturity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zenefits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After going through some tough years (mostly self-inflicted), Zenefits is reinventing itself in very interesting ways. It has mostly-new leadership within the last year, a totally new business model, a good product growing towards greatness, and a ton of smart, wonderful people. The culture is really good at rewarding people who put ideas out there. The usual startup-y snacks and benefits are there but it's the opportunity to grow a business and a company that should excite you. You will get lots of chances to make significant impact -- whether you take advantage of them is up to you.

Cons

Even though it just celebrated its five-year anniversary, it's still a very young company. The shift in business model and leadership means it has flavors of an earlier stage startup. That has some good things to it -- lots of room to make an impact -- but also comes with immature processes and sometimes overly ambitious roadmaps. That said, it's more about negotiation than arguments and everyone seems to want to do the right thing for the business and the customer.

Advice to Management

You have a great thing here in both opportunity and people. The transparency is good, the approach to diversity feels genuine. Don't let the culture sag and try to give more accountability to the project teams. Otherwise, two thumbs up!

"Positive atmosphere after some rough years"

I have been working at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Complete shift in culture post rebrand. In addition to the standard free food, solid benefits, etc. there is a positive momentum in the building that I haven't felt at other companies. Definitely a company to consider for product/engineering/sales growth opportunities. Real opportunity to control a process or make a real impact that might not be available at the larger, cash cow tech firms.

Cons

Concern over future; slight bitterness in older employees who are tired of pivots and shifts

5 Mar 2018 – CPO

Thank you for your review and we appreciate you taking the time to share this as well as all of your hard work. We're happy to have you on the team!