Zenefits Reviews

Updated 4 Sep 2020

3.9
Zenefits CEO Jay Fulcher
Jay Fulcher
Pros
  • "In addition to the standard free food, solid benefits, etc(in 32 reviews)

• "The people and the pace of the company attract people who are in it for the right reasons: great people doing awesome work to address a big opportunity(in 26 reviews)

"Tough To Watch"

Current Employee - Operations in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In my almost 4 years, I have learned and grown so much. I have never been afforded as much opportunity at any other company as I was at Zenefits. I truly am grateful for my time spent here, the lessons I learned and the people I met.

Cons

Given the above, much has changed over the years; from management to company values, and almost all these changes have been for the worse. When I first started, there was an overwhelming feeling that the work you did mattered, to your clients, and to the growth and success of the company. It felt like we were building something together, and everyone was excited to be a part of it. Zenefits was a place where every employee felt valued and necessary. New ideas were encouraged and the good ones were tried out, regardless of if the idea came from a support associate or a VP. People were recognized and promoted for their hard work and innovation. That's what it used to be... now Zeneifts is a bit of a spiraling mess. Management seems intent on running off any talent left at the company by tasking them with impossible deadlines and ridiculing them publicly. It has become an extremely hostile and toxic workplace where VPs/execs/upper management will regularly call out employees, embarrass, and scold them in meetings or public chat channels. There is a lot of clear favoritism as far as promotions and hiring goes. People are regularly moved in to positions without the proper interview processes taking place, simply because the right people like them. This has resulted in several departments of the company being severely mismanaged to the point of barely functioning. Innovation is encouraged, but pointless. If you have a good idea and it makes it to someone with the resources to implement said idea, they will simply take credit. This is a trend at Zenefits. People will regularly steal someone's idea, or take a previously presented idea and tweak it a bit to present it as their own and gain some clout with the execs. I would not recommend anyone work at Zenefits, nor purchase their software.... Unless some serious changes are made ASAP.

2. "Ya"

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty cool great career development

Cons

None that I can immediately think of

3. COVID-19

"Great opportunity if you want to grow!"

Current Employee - People Team Leader

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love working at Zenefits! I have been able to take on projects that have allowed me to grow professionally, things bigger companies wouldn't have let me touch. I find the leaders to be supportive and open to new ideas. At Zenefits, I'm able to be open and honest with where I want to be and she has given me opportunities to help develop. I feel much more supported at Zenefits than anywhere else I've worked, even while working remotely during COVID. My co-workers have been great during this time. We've helped each other with being flexible and supporting one another. It kind of feels like I wish my family was.

Cons

There's a lot going on which makes for opportunity, but there's just a lot to do. Sometimes, I think the leadership team might be a bit too transparent because not everyone wants to know how the soup is made.

4. "Zenefits Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been at Zenefits for 3 years now, and it has been non stop personal and professional growth. This company really gives you the opportunity to make an impact and get involved in so many ways. The leadership team provides an abundance of transparency that is rare to find anywhere. You always feel like you know what is going on, and that you can play a part in making Zenefits better. They offer competitive benefits and have done an exceptional job at creating community with everyone remote. We have weekly remote happy hours with trivia, lunch and learns, and group chats to keep everyone engaged. We have an incredible leadership team of successful and intelligent people with a clear desire to win. On top of all of that, our product is incredible. Our platform really does it all and then some, which makes our employees proud to work here and excited for what's to come.

Cons

Compensation isn't super competitive, but still fair. There are some negative people or people focused on the past who blame the company for their own failures, which I am assuming leads to the negative reviews. Current employees believe in our mission, vision, and values and understand the opportunity we have here.

Continue reading
  5. "After 5 years working here, I'm still loving this place!"

Current Employee - People Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The great thing about working at Zenefits is the opportunity. I've been here for more than 5 years and I still find myself learning something new every day. The management team pushes me to go way above and beyond. While there are a lot of challenges, I've never felt like I was stuck. There are extremely intelligent people at this company that will help you. What's also amazing is how well we have all adapted to working from home. There's tons of flexibility on your work schedule if you have to take care of personal things (go for a walk, shop for groceries, care for your family, etc) as long as you get your job done. Most companies I know of aren't as flexible.

Cons

Some of the processes we have aren't very efficient. It can be difficult to get things done when you have to rely on another team.

"Good work culture"

Former Employee - Product and Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Company has a pretty decent work culture for r&d teams - Work at your own time, you own what you do. - At the time, location and perks were good - Interesting and high potential market space

Cons

- Product strategy was all over the place (not sure how is it now) - Jack of all trades, master of none - Lot of unfinished products - Didn't know the direction, the company was headed. Upper management were unclear or weren't too sure themselves

"Don't be Fooled"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid product and leadership is nice but there's a catch..

Cons

Let me preface by saying this is mainly for people trying to get into sales at Zenefits, as I don't know how the other departments feel because we are very disconnected. Like I said in the (pros) section, the leaders within this company are nice up front but trust me when I say they don't know what they are doing and have their own agenda.. If you're looking for your next AE gig to make good money and enjoy life, look elsewhere.. this is coming from someone who comes from real experience and from companies who actually have their stuff together. The 100-120k ote they sell you on is literally not attainable and the majority of AE's are less than 50% to quota month over month. Simply not enough leads to go around and the leads you do get are not qualified. So you basically have to bank on luck to close deals. I will say the product is actually great but that's only part of the equation and leadership fails to make people successful and lead departments in the right direction . It sounds biased and harsh but they honestly have no idea what they are doing and there is a reason why the majority of reviews say they hire people and then fire them if they don't perform. Because it's true.. they hire people and expect them to be all-stars but don't set them up for success in any way. Also, implementation is a nightmare and every deal you close wants a refund. Again, it sucks because it's a good product but they don't invest in the long term and AE's end up spending hours trying to reassure customers it will be ok.. when it really won't be. I could go on forever but bottom line, do not think you will make money here or have a sustainable future here because leadership's goal is to sell this company as fast as possible and they will cut every corner to hopefully make that happen. But!! That's not going to happen because revenue is beyond low and churn is through the roof. I give Zenefits 3 months before they start to go under. So it may be pointless writing this review because they will fire a lot more people before they hire them any time in the near future. But I just hope leadership is able to see this common theme of reviews and one day get their act together. But don't hold your breath.. seriously. Tracey Cote, feel free to respond to this and act like you know what is happening within this company and try to make it look like you care. I don't blame you though.. It boils down to Jay Fulcher treating this company like his side hobby and leading it to no where. Apologies for putting this company on blast but the truth hurts. Ya'll need to figure it out before the company tanks in the next 3-5 months.

Zenefits Response

People and Talent Team

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm sorry you feel this way. Sales is a challenging profession with its ups and downs. I agree we have a great product that is a perfect fit for SMB and mid-market companies. As a sales organization, our focus is to have a growth mentality, and for every individual to improve by at least 1% every day, and watch those improvements add up. The Zenefits leadership team and I are 100% focused on helping our sales team win and improve their skill sets. If you come to work for us, I can promise that you will get incredible experience, and plenty of on the job coaching and training. I’m proud that we have so many professionals here making their numbers and exceeding their OTE's - even against the background of a pandemic. I wish you nothing but success in your future role. Jeff Hazard VP of Sales

"Growing pains"

Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Startup with good intentions. Really eased new grads into “working life”. All the fun perks you’d expect at a start up.

Cons

Poor execution. Leadership needed some work. Don’t let the shiny things fool you.

9. "A sinking ship, proceed with caution..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has great healthcare plans in the SF office and there are some talented people peppered throughout the company. Good work/life balance

Cons

The word "dysfunction" is an understatement for how this organization is run. The business model has so much potential and so much runway in the marketplace, but they just cannot execute. There are talented people in the organization, but not many in leadership roles. Leadership is kind of a "boys club" where underperformers are given passes when they clearly illustrate they cannot produce results. We've all had jobs where we wonder how someone who is clearly incompetent got into a leadership position, except at Zenefits it's not just one or two people, it's a systemic issue. Leadership surrounds themselves with "yes" men and women which really squashes any hope for innovation. There is a long history of layoffs at Zenefits and I don't see that tradition ending anytime soon. They couldn't come close to hitting sales targets during GOOD economic times and I wouldn't bet on them to be able to do it in bad times. When I started 2 years ago, the company boasted 10,000 customers, but that number hasn't changed in 2 years. It's a customer churn factory. Ask anyone in customer service. It's a sales-driven company that doesn't do a good job at selling. Most new product features or additions come from an anecdotal use case that someone in sales needs to close a deal. So sales tells the prospect it's on the roadmap to close the deal, then product either builds a feature for one customer or they don't and the customer churns after their contract is up. Work here at your own risk.

Continue reading
  10. "Good working culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - N/A in Bangalore

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly employees, good place for both freshers and experienced and interns also

Cons

As of not find any...

Found 537 reviews