Zillow Sales Executive Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated Sep 4, 2019

3.6
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton

"Thought I would retire here but things changed drastically"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No micromanaging as long as you did what was expected of you. Very nice and comfortable work stations.

Cons

When Zillow took over Trulia the atmosphere slowly changed and not for the better. Revenue is brought in by the sales teams and when you continually raise quota with the same payout as the original quota it really puts a bad smell in the air and the writing on the wall was very clear. Zillow has turned corporate greed into an art form. I was once proud to say I worked for Trulia/Zillow and now I am embarrassed... when I talk to my Realtor friends. I am truly glad that I escaped when I did.

Advice to Management

I have no advice because it would fall on deaf ears.

Zillow2019-09-04

September 14, 2019Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for your review. I’m disheartened to hear of your experience and perspective of your time employed by Zillow Group. Our intention is to create a high performance sales culture, aligned with our consumer first mission, as well as always provide the environment for all voices to be heard. I would’ve loved the opportunity to hear from you directly. If you’re still open to connecting, please reach out at 206-348-1794. Ann Sobil, Senior Director, Zillow Premier Agent Sales

2. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people culture benefits are amazing!

Cons

Career Development can be political

Zillow2019-08-30

September 11, 2019Senior Director of Sales

Thank for you for writing your review. It sounds like you met some amazing people and really enjoyed our great benefits program during your 3+ years at ZG! We work hard in each office to create and maintain a strong culture focused on equity and belonging. If you have some examples of roadblocks you encountered or observed regarding career growth and development please email me at brandoni@zillowgroup.com. Career development is something we do not take lightly and we are always looking for feedback to improve. Best of luck in your current opportunity and thank you again for your review. Brandon Inouye - Senior Director, Zillow Premier Agent Sales

"Sales account executive"

Current Employee - Sales Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place good people there

Cons

Turnover was very high when I worked there

Zillow2019-08-26

September 3, 2019Vice President, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for the review. It sounds like you connected well with our team here but have some feedback regarding turnover. Recruiting and retaining best in class salespeople is a core focus of ours. I would love to hear your sentiments regarding how we can do that better. Please reach out to stevec@zillowgroup.com if you have more to share. Best of luck with your future endeavors. Steve Capezza - Vice President, Zillow Premier Agent Sales.

"Turnover rate for sales is around 70% (no, seriously)"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays, great benefits, gym reimbursement, free snacks.

Cons

I stayed around 6 months. At first, everything was great; they do the old smoke and mirrors trick- free lunch! gym reimbursement! tons of $$ if you hit quota! But the reality is: everyone is extremely stressed about hitting quota and it creates a negative office environment. The well is very poisoned here. I felt like after a month of training and traveling to Seattle, the smoke screen was gone and I realized I had... made a mistake accepting an offer. You basically have to hit quota 3 times or you're gone. The quota is pretty high at $8,000 and you're selling to real estate agents that either hate Zillow and have burned by the product before or don't have the money to buy it. A lot of people I know are "on plan" meaning they have to hit 3 months in a row or they're gone, and only 2 out of the 7 people I trained with are still employed here (by choice or not). I personally left because the stress and lack of job security wasn't worth it. None of the managers came and said goodbye to me when I put in my two weeks (which, they tell you to wrap it up within 10-15 min of giving notice, but at least they pay you for the two weeks), which is whatever, but just contributes to the "you are extremely replaceable and ultimately don't matter here" sales culture. I could probably go on, but if you're on the fence about applying...don't. It's monotonous, some managers can be micromanagers, and it just really sucked to work here. Although I took a pay cut at my new job, I feel so much happier and less stressed.

Advice to Management

Ditch the churn and burn method. Restructure the sales plan (like the 3 strikes you're out method) so you can create happier employees and therefore a better work environment.

Zillow2019-07-02

July 2, 2019Senior Director of Sales

I appreciate you taking time to review our company and team. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the benefits and perks here at Zillow Group. It’s unfortunate that you did not enjoy your time as an employee. As you know, Zillow Group is a fast-paced and rapidly growing company. We raise our bar every year with our performance and expectations of ourselves and our sales teams. The numbers you outline in your review detailing a 70% turnover rate is not accurate for our sales team. I take your feedback and concerns seriously and am happy to hop on a call 949-398-1610 or feel free to email me at brandoni@zillowgroup.com if you want to discuss any other challenges or ideas you may have regarding our company or team. We are always open to feedback from current and past employees. I wish you the best of luck in your current opportunity. Brandon Inouye - Senior Director of Sales

"Great company with better people"

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing culture/environment, compensation and work life balance. They truly take care for their employees. Opportunity for advancement is there and executive management is on point.

Cons

You can get stuck with a territory or book of business that has a high level of churn due to not making quota, so don't expect an easy sale. If your direct manager is not a good fit for you to learn from you might be in a tough spot.

Advice to Management

Don't sacrifice employee management and development to press captured revenue.

Zillow2019-04-22

April 24, 2019Senior Director - Inside Sales, Seattle

Thank you for taking the time to post this great review. I'm glad you enjoyed items like our culture and work/life balance while noticing that we truly do care about our people. I will take your advice to heart and focus on it. If you have any other comments, please feel free to reach out to me directly. Thanks again. Chris Lowe Senior Director, Zillow Premier Agent

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Centennial, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed the benefit and compensation. Free food, maternity and paternity leave, good health benefits, adoption benefits

Cons

Typical call center environment without much independence

Zillow2019-04-10

April 11, 2019Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

We always appreciate hearing from current and former employees, so thank you very much for taking the time to share. I couldn't agree more on the benefits ZG provides its employees, truly phenomenal and glad to hear you enjoyed those benefits! On your call center comment, we do strive to create not only a team environment, where everyone supports each other, but also providing empowerment for folks to do their best work. If you have examples you'd like to share, so we can improve, I'd love to hear from you. I can be reached at 206-348-1794. Thank you, Ann Sobil, Senior Director Zillow Premier Agent Sales.

"Churn and burn tactic"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kitchen snacks and peoples reactions when you tell them you work for Zillow.

Cons

No job security. High turnover. If you miss your quota for 3 months you are fired no questions asked. Quota is $8,000 per month which is extremely difficult since majority of real estate agents have already been burned by the product you’re trying to sell. It’s an extremely difficult and expensive sale to make and very hard quota to hit. Managers play favorites and will give leads to sales executives they are close... with. You are very replaceable. You think it’s going to be such a great experience when you get hired thinking you are working for one of the coolest companies out there until you realize you’re just another replaceable telemarketer. Almost every sales executive I spoke to was looking for a new job realizing they will get fired soon like the rest of them. Only about 1% of sales executives last for multiple years.

Advice to Management

Stop the churn and burn tactics. Hire better managers.

Zillow2019-03-22

March 28, 2019Senior Director of Sales

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Sales Executive role can be a challenging role and success within the role is performance-based. Much like any performance-based role, the Sales Executive position carries a quota designed to drive a compelling financial opportunity, allows us to evaluate our individual performances and aligns with our company goals. The continuous training, coaching, and support given by our leadership and training team are meant to support our sales professionals to maximize their professional opportunity. With “Do the Right Thing” being one of our core values at Zillow Group I am concerned about your comment around lead distribution and would welcome further conversation. Please email me at brandoni@zillowgroup.com or schedule a 1:1 if you have any more context around this or any additional feedback. You can also feel free to stop by my desk and pull me aside as well. Thanks again. Brandon Inouye Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

"This is THE sweat shop of all sales jobs. Prepare to question your life choices"

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great CEO great workspace with more snacks and array of beverages than you could ever imagine. View from any floor is amazing.

Cons

It's really disappointing because i have a lot of friends that aren't in sales that work for Zillow and they can't stop talking about how much they love it. Zillows core values and direction and culture is absolutely amazing UNLESS you are on the sales floor. It is a shark eat shark environment where you can't trust anybody. Everyone is always trying to figure out ways to snake your deals, which results in a lot... of bad blood and a pretty contentious relations with most of your coworkers. So if you like being a shady sales person in a turn-and-burn environment, this is a great job for you Training is the biggest joke imaginable and barely applies to what you are actually selling. All the managers focus on are daily activity metrics since they are under the impression the more dials you make the more business you will close, which isn't true. But if you don't hit your INSANE dial/activity metrics every day, then you will get a firm talking to. We are talking on average about 100 calls/day and another 150 talk minutes on top of it. You don't have time to strategically prospect and build relationships. I barely feel like i have time to take lunch. On top of that, it takes 70% of the team until the last day of the month to hit quota, so the stress literally never subsides. I stress like MAD when on vacation because you literally need every day possible to hit your goals. This is absolutely not how a job should be. I never felt able to breathe and cruise for just a day or two. The best part is that at any point in time you literally only have 3 month of job security. You are put on a PIP if you miss two month in a row (even by a minuscule amount) at that point you MUST hit 2 consecutive months to not get fired. I have seen so many talented people who just had a few bad months get let go. I have always wondered why Zillow Sales doesn't focus on developing existing talent. They much prefer to do hiring classes of 30 people every couple months and just see who can actually last. The turnover is absolutely mind blowing and i'd say the average tenure of an SE is 8-12 months. The product is hard to sell because so many agents have been burned by Zillow. What you do when you invest in Premier Agent is called GAMBLING. I didn't feel comfortable selling agents on a product that probably isn't going to make them money. It felt like i was stealing from good people.

Advice to Management

Fix the issue of people snaking other people deals and make it a fair playing field. "Salesforce Rules" are INSANE. The fact that if you miss a follow up on someone you have been working with for months and if they accidentally falls out of your name that another SE who literally did nothing for the sale gets to close it and get 100% credit. Also, stop preaching about how "transparent" you are because it's very... evident that you are not. Whether it be with how you send out inbounds, or how you feed deals to your favorites on the team, or lying about how much agents LOVE the new PA and they are lucky that we are calling them with the opportunity. Let's be real,, it's WAY overpriced, SE's just stress sell to get a credit card and will put agents in HORRIBLE positions. How is that fair to our clients? Stop playing favorites, because it's obvious and we all see it. Start spending some time working 1 on 1 with reps to build their skills and closing abilities instead of spending your time focusing on why we aren't pacing to hit our daily activity metric.

Zillow2019-03-06

March 13, 2019SVP Premier Agent

I’m disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Zillow Group. As you note, sales can be high pressure – that is the nature of the role. The training we provide aims to alleviate some of the pressures by making sure our sales people are fully equipped for their day-to-day work. We do solicit feedback and make adjustments to our training and recruitment practices with an eye towards ever-improving. When you were employed with us I hope you provided feedback to help us in our efforts. We are never satisfied and are always changing and trying new things to be better, which is at the core of who we are, and what I love most about Zillow Group- if you would like to discuss live please reach out to me at susan@zillowgroup.com. Susan Daimler SVP, Premier Agent

9. "Amazing Culture"

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great Benefits -Awesome Culture -Lots of yearly parties and free food -Feel valued as an employee

Cons

-It's a grind and emotionally taxing, you have to have thick skin and not get in your head.

Advice to Management

The questions on the recruiting call didn't feel personal and the recruiter was clearly reading a script. For first impression I think this should be more polished and sincere.

Zillow2019-02-22

February 28, 2019Senior Director - Inside Sales, Seattle

Thank you for taking the time to post this great review. I'm glad you enjoyed the great benefits and culture while feeling valued. Thanks for the feedback regarding recruiting, I will dig in and work on improvements there. Feel free to reach out to me if there's anything else you'd like to share. Thanks again! Chris Lowe Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

"Sales Executive, Rentals"

Current Employee - Sales Executive, Rentals in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great company that takes care of its employees. They encourage you to work your way up within the organization, whether that is within your team or not. The rentals division specifically is a fast growing section of Zillow Group, and still has a "start up" feel within a larger company. The product sells itself at times, and as a sales rep you function very independently. Your success is largely determined... by your ability to function independently and learning as you go. I have been in this role for over a year, and still find it engaging and I am excited to come in to work everyday. Great leadership team, and you are trusted as a team member to get your job done most likely because of their confidence in the extensive interview process.

Cons

The "start up" feel is not for everyone, and if you do not like constant change this is not a role for you. Travel can be extensive at times, but it is necessary and you are largely in control of when/where you travel which helps prevent burning out.

Advice to Management

Zillow Group has a great leadership team within the rentals organization. They are constantly looking for areas of improvement, and acting on these areas of improvement is something that they follow up on which is great. However communication about these changes down the totem pole could be improved at times.

Zillow2018-11-01

Zillow Response

November 4, 2018CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this great review! I really appreciate it. Rentals is a great organization at ZG and I'm glad that you are having a good experience on that team.

Found 28 reviews