athenahealth Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.2
athenahealth CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert
Cons

"Managers are worst, full of politics"

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Flexible timings Good work life balance

Cons

Don’t join this company and make your life miserable. Managers are the worst doing every kind of politics that you could ever imagine. There were many talented people, most of them left due to their managers and internal politics. Now most of the people who are still working here are the once who doesn’t know working and are survived mainly by their political skills. These people can’t switch their jobs because no one...

athenahealth2017-11-10
  2. "More than software"

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Potential to reshape hc

Cons

Too bad got acquired

athenahealth2019-06-12

"Downhill since the acquisition"

Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It use to be the culture, benefits/perks, the employees, work environment, and company mission. After reading some of the more recent reviews, it looks like the culture is pretty much non existent now.

Cons

I am pretty sure athena has experienced more layoffs and attrition since the 2017 company wide layoff which is sad because the employees were great. I would advise looking elsewhere and if you are a current employee you are probably really optimistic or revamping your resume.

athenahealth2019-06-10
    • "Great environment in Austin declined after office lead left"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      No Opinion of CEO

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone who worked at athena knew what they were doing and generally worked well together. When someone who was was rude and bad to work with was hired, he was later fired because of that.

Cons

After Jack (VP of Engineering and head of the Austin office) left, the culture took a bit of a nose dive and then a round of layoffs removed most of the oldest employees and those who made sure that there was a fun culture, then large numbers of other employees also left. I'm not sure how it is now. Also, lots of the work is in Perl.

Advice to Management

Make sure that employees feel that you're on their side and that things aren't getting worse for power plays.

athenahealth2019-05-31
    • "Great people keep me here"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

athena has some of the smartest, hardest working people. Feels like everyone works hard and is willing to put in long hours to solve problems collaboratively. The fun, casual environment helps!

Cons

The company has been through some turmoil over the past ~2 years, but it feels like things are starting to turn around for the better!

athenahealth2019-05-29

"Sr. Manager engineering"

Current Employee - Senior Manager Engineering in Bangalore

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good work - Freedom to operate - End -to-end ownership of the components/modules that we are responsible for

Cons

- Sometimes the pace of work can be a bit slower compared to other domains like ecommerce, retail etc.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a good teams and good work culture, other things will follow automatically

athenahealth2019-05-21
    • "Shame they closed the SF office"

Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Was a good company, doing good work. Smart colleagues.

Cons

Business model was becoming outmoded.

Advice to Management

Epocrates is gone. Athena needs drastic action to dig itself out of where it's gotten to. Hopefully the remaining people can do that, with a bit of help.

athenahealth2019-05-25
    • "Shadow of its former self"

Current Employee - LMTS

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great flexibility and WFH policies. Solid base pay and bonus percentage. Depending on the team you can have a clear vision and as much freedom to work on projects as you want.

Cons

Unfortunately the company and the culture have been in a spiral since the original Elliot investment. Athena has gone from a company focused on fixing healthcare to one that it just trying to make a buck for our shareholders (though I guess that was a given when we were a public company). It was refreshing to start here and be led by such a passionate group of leaders who had a passion and actually wanted to unbreak healthcare....

Advice to Management

Be honest with the employees. Stop trying to gloss over the fact that we are owned by a giant PE firm that just wants to make a few bucks. I'd rather leadership tell us they don't care about healthcare and just want to flip the company in a few years, then try to ramble around this fact.

athenahealth2019-06-06
    • "A huge mess... getting worse"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Absolutely loved working here before the Virence Health merger & Bob Segert coming on. Very cool campus, it makes up for the commute to Watertown. Great on-site cafe & coffee bar, plus food trucks every day. Shuttles that run from many Boston neighborhoods + Cambridge. Competitive entry-level pay.

Cons

The merger is an absolute mess, leaving employees on both sides feeling frustrated & undervalued by leadership. Complete lack of diversity, higher-ups are exclusively white males. New CEO is a "professional CEO" who enters a company "reinvents" it and it on to his next gig - knows absolutely nothing about athena or the health care industry in general (doesn't seem to care either?). The great people that once loved...

Advice to Management

Fix the glaring diversity gap. Get a CEO that actually knows the industry and cares about this company and its people. HR should stop pretending employees' feedback matters to ELT when it doesn't.

athenahealth2019-06-07
    • "?????"

Current Employee - Manager in Belfast, ME

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is great compared to other businesses in the area

Cons

Layoffs in the last 2 years

athenahealth2019-06-03