athenahealth Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 18 Oct 2019

3.7
athenahealth CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert
  1. "Senior Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Chennai

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life, pretty good salary. Good product line

Cons

Growth prospects and opportunity to grow

Advice to Management

none

athenahealth2019-10-05
  2. "Can't find their way"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepeneurial spirit and great people with flexibility

Cons

They have lost their way, poor leadership management. Most Sr. leaders have left the company on their own accord and there is constant re-orging that leaves one wondering if they have any stability at all.

Advice to Management

Grow up and become a world class company. Develop some stability

athenahealth2019-10-18
  3. "Great Peers, Co. Lacks Leadership / Maturity."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, energetic workplace. Work-life balance is mostly a priority.

Cons

Although athenahealth is filled with brilliant people, there is a tremendous lack of practical experience and leadership. Age and experience are typically ignored and often held in contempt. Everyone there was the smartest kid in their class, and most don't want to hear others opinions. Executive leadership has been sorely lacking, which I believe athena is trying to remedy.

Advice to Management

See Cons section. When I came to athena, I had more than 15 years at the director level in my field. I quickly found that my experience wasn't welcome in my role or in my group. In fact, my direct mgr made it a point to oppose anything that came from me. I actually got to the point where I would bring suggestions/initiatives to him as if they were my direct reports (not mine). That way he would actually... consider / support them, and that is the only way I achieved anything strategic. There is a serious lack of deep functional and strategic experience at athena. My advice would be to seek out, embrace and value experience as enthusiastically as you have embraced the younger work force.

athenahealth2019-10-09
  4. "Tons of change, some good, some not so much"

Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Passionate, hard working team members Decent benefits and comp Seem to be refocusing on core business, making better investments for the future.

Cons

Multiple rounds of layoffs Tons of experienced people leaving Cost cutting of workplace tools (slack, google) without realizing productivity loss. Focus no longer seems to be on solving healthcare problems Work/life balance doesn't exist, lots of people work way longer hours just to keep up. This can be mostly attributed to attrition, but leadership is extremely tight on hiring any replacements.

athenahealth2019-10-03
  5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

flexibility, creativity, transparency in leadership decisions

Cons

Unclear on strategic direction with recent changes

athenahealth2019-08-01

"Sr. Manager engineering"

Current Employee - Senior Manager Engineering in Bangalore

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good work - Freedom to operate - End -to-end ownership of the components/modules that we are responsible for

Cons

- Sometimes the pace of work can be a bit slower compared to other domains like ecommerce, retail etc.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a good teams and good work culture, other things will follow automatically

athenahealth2019-05-21

"Sr Product Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s relaxed and if you are motivated, and dedicated you will be empowered with resources and trust. It’s not that difficult to stand out if you are actually capable.

Cons

Athena is filled with people who want a cushy job and do not really push the boundaries. That’s not to say that you cannot find great people who want to do great things just the majority of the people really don’t think of it as a business that has limited resources and you must make decisions based on business value.

athenahealth2019-03-27
  8. "Healthcare Boom"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fast pace, culture, opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

Change for the sake of change

Advice to Management

Set clear direction and make the effort to communicate that effectively.

athenahealth2019-01-10

"The good and the BAD."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

athenahealth is essentially a playground for adults. It allows you to do work while having fun. The people that I've met and collaborated with on projects have been nothing short of amazing in years past. The mission and vision of the company is noble which gives you the sense of purpose when you walk through the doors. Decent Pay but not up to industry standards. Beautiful campus where you can bring your dog... into work and take strolls during breaks. Great community/extracurricular activities outside of work.

Cons

Since the "bloodbath" in 2017 right before Thanksgiving where ~500 people were cut things just have not been remotely the same. The feeling you had when you walked around was that everyone was happy and jovial but now it's almost a "who's gone next?" game. Extremely difficult to retain top talent as they are asked to work extremely way too much for way too long. Some departments I've seen work 12+ hr days... because they simply cannot get the work done. I believe this is something upper management (Directors/Sr Managers) need to take seriously because employees will be burnt out sooner or later. This has been made aware but these Directors are simply too green and not the right fit. I've overheard one Director say absurd things such as "I hate top performers, they always expect so much and it's extremely *expletive* annoying. I'm perfectly fine with a person that just meets expectations." And when challenged he had the audacity to say "Good, let them *expletive* go, I don't care. I'll hire someone else." If that truly is the case then why would anyone want to strive to do more? Shortly after this was said more than half of the team disbanded months later and are now no longer with the company or moved on to a different department. Benefits aren't the best.

Advice to Management

Listen intently to those who work with you not for you. If you care to keep your job and retain the people you need to help run the ship.

athenahealth2018-12-14

"Senior Manager"

Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some pockets of truly exceptional people who are committed to the mission and a pleasure to work with. If you happen to be in one of these areas it can be incredible. The facilities are exceptional and the mission is pretty compelling.

Cons

Internal politics have really got terrible in the last year or so. Those favored few who are in the good graces of newer leadership and playing in the fun new technology do well. Pretty much everyone else is neglected. The company talks a lot less about making healthcare work as it should and a lot more about cool technology and ensuring we’re making enough for shareholders. Attrition amongst those with a lot of... experience has become very high and it’s starting to take a toll. The company espouses agile principals but has implemented a very command and control process which can be soul crushing.

Advice to Management

Look long and hard at your leadership, change starts up there. Talk more about the mission and figure out a way to align the new technology strategy with the people who built what got us where we are.

athenahealth2018-04-15

athenahealth Response

June 1, 2018Employee Engagement

Thanks for taking the time to write this. It's sad that this is your experience. Have you shared this internally? There are groups that are working really hard to provide development opportunities for athenistas, and to reduce any bias in our talent processes. And with our newly launched brand, our purpose to transform healthcare is front and center. That said, we do also try to satisfy shareholders, as any public company needs to do. We hope you'll share this feedback with the leaders in your division, so actionable change can happen. Please reach out directly if you want to continue the conversation: askathena@athenahealth.com.

Found 25 reviews