iiNet Employee Reviews about "customer service"

Updated 9 Aug 2019

3.1
iiNet CEO Michael Malone
Michael Malone
Pros
Cons
  • "This effects all aspects of your employment such as career advancement to senior customer service representative(in 8 reviews)

• "Throwing alcohol and junk food at the call centre at every opportunity(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "customer service"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Overall, and amazing place to work and grow"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Camberwell, Victoria

I worked at iiNet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Awesome workplace benefits (100mbps wifi in the office, cereal provided, all amenities you could want or need). - Great opportunities to learn about the tech industry (seriously, you won't find a better place to cut your teeth). - A real commitment to customer service (the company empowers you to actually help customers). - Outcome focuses (iiNet trusts you to do what's expected).

Cons

- The salary is very low. - Hours aren't ideal.

Continue reading
  2. "Waste of time, avoid at all costs unless there is literally no other job you can take"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at iiNet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training and support is very comprehensive If you are good at talking on the phone, then the workload won't feel too heavy

Cons

Literally your entire performance as an individual employee is based on how the customer perceives the company. The NPS question is "Would you recommend iiNet to a friend?". So say you help a customer to the best of your ability and due to the incompetency of a previous staff member, bad equipment sent by the company or numerous other reasons the customer rates iiNet as not recommended. Guess what? You as an individual staff members performance is negatively effected. iiNet will CLAIM this will only effect your bonus, but this is not true at all. This effects all aspects of your employment such as career advancement to senior customer service representative. In my entire time at iiNet my NPS was actually quite good, but due to sheer bad luck the senior applications happen to open on months where my NPS was down and so was denied senior for this arbitrary reason. Despite having been with the company for almost 3 years. Furthermore they have roles as "Acting senior" in which you do the job as a senior but without the pay increase or any guarantee that they will give you permanent senior.

"Aquired by iiNet"

in Camberwell, Victoria

I have been working at iiNet

Pros

Strong focus on customer service and NPS which was great preparation and training for future roles. Plenty of structure and resource support for the contact centre. They took training seriously and ensured this was executed well.

Cons

Unhealthy 'reward' culture. Throwing alcohol and junk food at the call centre at every opportunity. Also there was a clear 'cool kids club' between the HQ mgt and the various external sites. If you weren't part of this clique you are likely to find it hard to be selected for certain interesting opportunities.

"Formerly a great place to work until acquisition by TPG"

Business Analyst in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at iiNet for more than 5 years

Pros

- (Formerly) great culture and work environment - (Former) executive management was open to direct communication and discussion - (Formerly) great commitment to customer service excellence made it a joy to go to work knowing you were making life better for customers - Constantly challenged by work, which helped career development

Cons

- Salaries under old management were lower than industry average for corporate staff - compensated for by formerly great culture and work environment - Salaries are better now, but it's a terrible place to work - New management is petty and simple minded - great work from home program axed, flexible work arrangements not permitted anymore, no commitment to customer service beyond mere lip service, insular work culture of TPG now permeates iiNet as well.

"It's a sinking ship"

1.0

I have been working at iiNet full-time

Pros

Co-workers are amazing, and my manager is the best I've ever had. It's a fun office atmosphere with some good perks (less now though since the takeover)

Cons

NPS system on which your probation and bonuses are based is absolute crap. Ever since the TPG takeover, customer service has gone way downhill and it is all but impossible to make your bonus each month.

Continue reading

"Unprofessional Management. Obsession with KPIs contradicts "Awesome Customer Service." Prehistoric computer systems."

2.0
    Customer Service Representative

I worked at iiNet

Pros

Adequate training. Decent office environment. Friendly co-workers. Supportive colleagues.

Cons

Most people know that working in a call centre sucks. Hard. In fact, unless you are desperate for money I would recommend doing almost ANYTHING else. But to be honest, I'm not so sure it's the talking to people on the phone constantly that is the deal breaker. In fact, I quite enjoyed that part. What was the deal breaker for me was the ancient, clunky systems that you need to work around to actually do your job, while keeping a customer at bay in real time, coupled with the stress of adherence, after call work and NPS scores as KPIs that are, to a large extent, a direct contradiction to iiNet's dedication to "awesome customer service." I'm not stupid. I understand why these KPIs exist, but for the most part, as a CSR working with those KPIs, your focus is not on how best to serve the customer as efficiently as possible with their myriad of issues they may have, but how to achieve your KPIs, often at the expense of serving a customer properly. The only KPI that is directly related to actual customer service is the NPS and even that will be skewed depending on how upset the customer already is with iiNet before they talk to you. Depending on who your manager is, the aforementioned deal breakers could be exacerbated by an awful manager. If you do end up working here as a CSR, and can adjust to the array of self-imposed obstacles iiNet place in the way of you actually giving "awesome customer service", I would still suggest joining a union (if you're not already) for when they start to pull some of their management tactics. This may include (but will not be limited to) a heavy inference that you do not take your legal amount of break times (wouldn't want to mess up your adherence stats!) and an absence protocol that requires you to ring a minimum of three different phone numbers to successfully lodge a last minute sickness. There really is no reason for this other than to deter you from ever taking any time off. I could almost give them the benefit of the doubt on the litany of phone numbers that they pretend is actually for my own good if they didn't have a nightmarishly unprofessional return-to-work interview for even a few hours off. In this interview, you will be asked a series of invasive personal questions regarding your medical situation and general health (while they take notes) that is not only extraordinarily unethical but pretty darn illegal. It is heavily weighted towards deterring you from taking time off under the guise of making sure you're ok. Trust me, you'll do training and there'll be points where you'll think it might not actually be that bad. There'll be the pre-scripted routine where existing staff act wacky while your new team is on a tour of the office. Don't fall for it. You will never see those same people be "wacky" ever again. What you will see a lot of, however, and this will be on most people's faces, is a look of cold-dead-bleary-eyed upset. You are walking amongst the damned, in a soulless purgatory designed to maximise productivity at the expense of your mental health. And it's minimum wage. Walk away. Go get a job at K-mart. Move pianos for a living. Lick chicken at KFC. Anything else. But if you absolutely must work here, because you are desperate like I was, get out as quick as you realistically can.

Continue reading

"There's a reason your turn over is so high..."

Former Employee - Technical Support Officer

I worked at iiNet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Although the training is limited, at least it was offered. Trainers were great people. - My fellow workmates were all good people and easy to get along with. - Free soft drinks nearly everyday. - Coffee machine is great. - The HR Health Line number which you used to log an absence was useful and a genuinely good idea.

Cons

- Very low wages, barely $18.00 an hour. Not worth the sheer level of work you're expected to do. - Not all Senior Customer Service Representatives were like this, but some straight up refused to do their assigned duties like taking escalations. Also if the call centre is shut but you're still on a call, and you need help, don't expect anyone to be available. - Software used by iiNet is outdated, slow and malfunctions often. - Management and HR are sensitive to criticism, even if it is constructive. Be very careful when they start asking for your opinion. - The KPI's are extremely challenging to achieve simply because of how the system is structured. - Management and HR are apathetic when it comes to employee well-being. - Highly political environment, don't fall on the wrong side of the political spectrum whatever you do. - Roster is very inflexible. - Work life balance is a joke. - All the "fun" facilities are there for show, as if you have time to use them! - Heaps of managers are outsourced. So many of them have NO system knowledge or technical support knowledge.

Continue reading
  8. "Not a bad place to work."

Former Employee - Technical Support Officer in Hawthorn

I worked at iiNet part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in technical support. This was basically front line customer service work with a technical flavour - assisting customers of iinet's home broadband products with technical troubleshooting. I found that people working at iinet were professional in behaviour for the most part. I didn't encounter any bullying, racism, etc. I worked at the Hawthorn, Victoria offices. The physical environment was pleasant (not cramped, decent views, close to shops). The systems were decent (not antiquated). I was able to negotiate hours & times that fit with my study commitments.

Cons

Pay not so great. Front line customer service work is repetitive.

"Growing madly, but opportunities only slowly spreading outside Perth"

I worked at iiNet for more than 10 years

Pros

A youthful operation, often driven by camaraderie. Particularly so in the customer service area. Yet to have any great insurmountable business set backs, so general culture is very positive.

Cons

Opportunities are spreading outside of head office, but they are still far better in Perth than elsewhere. Cobbling together after mergers always takes a while.

Continue reading

"Life as a Customer Service Representative @ iiNET"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Asheville, NC

I worked at iiNet full-time for less than a year

Pros

iiNET is a great place to work in terms of the work environment. The people there are very supportive, and it is okay to make mistakes. You are put into teams who work very close with each other, and the work is also very autonomous. It is easy to pick up if you are good at talking to people.

Cons

Compensation was a bit low for my situation at the time, and some aspects of the call allocating system should be reviewed. Had very specific sales and customer service targets that were to be met if you wanted your monthly bonus.

Found 11 reviews