nearmap Employee Reviews about "nearmap"

Updated Jul 11, 2021

Found 36 of over 146 reviews

3.8
nearmap CEO Rob Newman
Rob Newman
Pros
  • "I left Nearmap for personal reasons but I would recommend the company to someone looking for a technical challenge(in 21 reviews)

• "Great people at lower levels here in the states(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Other than that, I cannot think of any cons specific to Nearmap(in 21 reviews)

• "I would like to start first by saying this review is aimed purely at the Sydney office sales team, not the broader company as a whole(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "nearmap"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, supportive

Apr 6, 2021 - Business Support in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nearmap is growing fast and has very flexible views of working from the execs down, supportive managers and lots of very smart people. Overall Nearmap has a focus on high performance but allows a lot of freedom to do your role autonomously which I really like. You don't get the sense that anyone is sitting around contributing at 50%. I've never been in a company with so many people that like what they do and it's really nice.

Cons

I wouldn't say its a con but there aren't many opportunities to socialise with the people you work with and Ive heard that there isn't as many fun things happening post COVID. It will be good to see this improve, especially with all of the new people starting recently.

2. 2.0
      Current Employee

Greed is getting the better of Nearmap.

Jul 11, 2021 - Sales Representative in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great Office Location, in Barangaroo.

Cons

Greed is at an all time high. Do not join this company if you are a hard worker, an over achiever - or both. You will not be met with reward or recognition for your efforts. COVID has treated Nearmap very kindly - sales are through the roof. So much so, that a statement was released to the ASX on the 4th May saying that we are increasing our FY21 ACV Guidance (which means how much we will sell for the FY). A strong year despite all hurdles is due to the value proposition (less time on site, work remotely ETC), but it is also down to the hard work, professionalism and dedication from the Sales Reps. FY21 efforts were met with unfair increases in targets across the [many different] sales teams. 30-50% increases across the these teams. The real insult is that on top of this our OTE's didn't increase with the targets, which results in you having to sell much more to earn the same money as the year prior. This is the third time in as many years that this has happened, this year being the largest change, and why i feel that enough is enough and i am taking to GlassDoor to share my experience. Nearmap is going to struggle to hold on to their talent, i see many people leaving in the coming months. When word spreads through the industry, they will also have a hard time in recruiting.

10 people found this review helpful

nearmap Response

Everyone at Nearmap is excited about our growth strategy which is focused on incremental market share and adding value to our customers. We personally think this makes good business sense for not only our customers but also our shareholders. We have an attractive remuneration package with significant accelerators in place for our sales teams and we will continue to review our competitiveness in the market. If you still have concerns, please reach out to your manager.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good company, interesting tech

Feb 17, 2021 - Senior Data Scientist in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

I left Nearmap for personal reasons but I would recommend the company to someone looking for a technical challenge. From an AI point of view, there is lots of data, the company has ambition in the area, and the technical teams are great and know their stuff.

Cons

No job is perfect: there will be work you need to do that is important but not interesting, and their will be security and engineering processes you need to follow that can add some friction, but this is true in any job where you need to produce something that works in production. Other than that, I cannot think of any cons specific to Nearmap

nearmap Response

Thanks for taking the time to post your review and we are sorry that you are no longer with us :(.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

One of the Better Companies I have worked for

Jan 5, 2021 - Director in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having Spent more than 12 years in technology at some of the leading companies (including BIG 4), this is by far the best company till date that I have worked at. Nearmap has been a company that has defined /created market in its category in Australia and is disrupting it in US and growing stronger. It is the only company that offers E2E Vertically Integrated product pipeline and it has been exciting to be a part of it's growth from a start-up to scale-up and aiming to go beyond now. Like any other company that is growing , along the way it has had it's fair share of "things to improve" that some reviews here have touched upon. All I can say is that an organization is always a Work in Progress. As a company matures these "issues" take care of themselves and the challenges become a "point in time" thing. Nearmap has come a long way long way from what it was and has changed for better. If you are seeking to work towards creating a Market Defining Product, get hands-on on some of the cutting edge technology in aerial imagery and location based content , are open to exciting and challenging opportunities, flexible working ( Even Pre-Covid) , enjoy Work-Life balance (along with some perks thrown in) then this is the place for you. A place where all the execs and senior leadership are most approachable and "listen" to the feedback.

Cons

It's hard to classify it as a con but don't expect a very generous remuneration ( though perks are enticing).You do get a good work -life balance though.

nearmap Response

Thanks for taking the time to write a review; your comments actually reinforced my excitement about being part of the Nearmap Team. You will be pleased to know that remuneration and career development priorities are on the People & Culture roadmap for this half. We also recently appointed a Senior Director of Remuneration and Benefits to lead the charge in the remuneration space, so look out for updates over the coming months.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

An exciting and growing tech company

Dec 11, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will get to work on state-of-the-art technology on very challenging problems. There is a culture of embracing change and staying on the bleeding edge. You will get to work with amazing and passionate people. All managers in technology are very technically skilled and we always have very open discussions. There is always so much to do and lot of opportunity to take ownership of things whether it's new product, proof of concepts or process.

Cons

The company is heavily influenced by the quarterly sales cycle. Sometimes it feels like we chase short-term gain at the cost of longer term opportunity. If you're looking for work-life balance then Nearmap isn't for you. The demands on every team are huge and you need to be 110% committed. It doesn't always feel like there is a lot of opportunity for younger employees. A lot of the technology teams have flat structures or are congested at higher levels. Granted, there is a lot of work going on right now to improve this so we will see where this goes.

nearmap Response

As a growing company, providing opportunities for our people to grow is now a top priority. so you will be pleased to know that creating career pathways is a top priority for H2. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, especially the cons and advice to management. All feedback provided via any of our platforms is taken seriously and helps to shape our short and long term strategy.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Exciting to be part of the growth journey

Nov 24, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined to be part of the team that takes Nearmap from its Australian roots to global domination! Scaling a business takes a certain type of person - one who thrives on the challenge of building versus turning the handle on an established business or transforming a business that is under pressure. The work is exciting, fast paced and allows you to make your mark. We get all the standard perks that come with a tech company, but the biggest perk would be the people. There really is a great team of smart, passionate and 'low-ego' people. Refreshing!

Cons

All the challenges of a high-growth scale up. Things are not all perfect (we need better approach to systems architecture for example) - but if you are comfortable dealing with not having all the answers, and building and solving on the go - you will thrive.

nearmap Response

We agree that Nearmappers are unique and thrive on challenges. You will be pleased to hear that we have a big focus on our foundations, including our systems architecture. We have our sights set on "global domination" but will always stay true to our Aussie roots and values. Thanks for taking the time to post your review!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing technology & people

Nov 24, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Nearmap for the opportunity to be a part of a company that is growing, has an incredible product offering (the technology and the people intelligence behind that technology will blow your mind). My observation is that Nearmap has grown up and now has a clear and exciting growth strategy, an inclusive culture with a commitment to diversity and lots of opportunities to make a difference.

Cons

Working for a scale-up has its challenges. There is so much to do and not enough resources (which I understand they are starting to fix). We have many systems that don't integrate; which I think is a result of growing so quickly.

nearmap Response

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We couldn't agree more - our people and tech offering will blow your mind. Working for a scale-up is chaotic and exciting.....you have to wear multiple hats. The good news is that we have a big focus on integrating our systems and getting our foundations right.

8. 5.0

Recommend for tech/engineer job

Nov 4, 2020 - Software Engineer in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Awesome learning opportunity: + Have opportunity to expose to a lot of knowledge: Cloud computing, GIS, image processing, AI. + Have opportunity to work with bunch of very smart people, bunch of Ph.Ds in vision and AI team. + Fortonightly Hackday * Nice and friendly staff and management team: been closed worked with manager and his manager, all quite nice person, not get toxic pressure from them at all. * Transparent and friendly culture: + All company standup/deepdive + 1on1 of direct manager regularly + Catchup with CEO from time to time * Remote working opportunity * Good location, great waterview kitchen, and free food. * Couple of more benefit: employee share plan, fortnightly massage, gym allowance, etc I've seen a couple of negative reviews for CEO Dr Newman, I think they are bit misleading accoding to my observation. I don't have opportunity to work with him directly, my personal experience is: * Among 15 months working here, I didn't see once he lost his temper, my desk is not far from his office; not once I felt emotionally pressure came from CEO. * Most time we met in corridor and elevator, he is first to say hello, and just finish a catch up session with him recently, enjoyed it. I don't think he's arrogant from my perspective, He's friendly enough CEO for me working as an engineer in company. (I do enjoy working in my enginneer team) Before I joined Nearmap, when I saw these negative reviews, that did concerns me a little bit, I was worried if Nearmap has that toxic culture. But I'm confident to say, we dont't.

Cons

* Not quite clear of how people get promoted, wondering if have a review/promotion routine like Google, Facebook, etc. i.e: Have a tech rank, upgrade by review regularly.

nearmap Response

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We agree that our CEO is a pretty awesome guy and has done a great job keeping us all informed whilst working remotely. We are putting more structure around our talent and succession program and encourage you to continue having open conversations with your manager that includes your career aspirations.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Unless you're in Tech and Engineering person, Nearmap is not for you

Jul 12, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great product, office, free food. Intelligent co-workers. All the different teams that make the company in the one location.

Cons

Out of control and snap decision making by the executive team leads to chaos and no follow through. It's all about their ego and status not about the people that work there. Unless you are part of the technology and engineering teams, be prepared for hours of thankless and unappreciated work and unreasonable expectations. Salary's are also well below market and not in line with the work they expect from you and don't think that the perks even come close to closing the gap. DO NOT believe a word that they say about setting you up for success. At Nearmap you are a resource first and a human second so remember that the HR team is not there to help.

8 people found this review helpful

nearmap Response

We are sorry to hear that Nearmap wasn't for you and agree that our product and people are awesome. Transitioning from a start-up to scale-up can sometimes feel chaotic and challenging, and not for everyone. We are on an accelerated growth journey which includes ongoing investments into our people and business. It's an exciting time to be at Nearmap.

10. 5.0

Best place I've worked

Mar 8, 2020 - Sales Development in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Collaborative Culture - Lots to learn (I've learnt more from my colleagues here than any other workplace) - Not scared to have hard conversations - Growth mindset, everyone here is ambitious and motivated - Opportunity for progression The extra things like Food and Gym allowance are great, but these are secondary to the team and opportunity within Nearmap

Cons

- High growth targets can put a lot of pressure on people, some people within the team are more affected by this than others.

nearmap Response

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We love your feedback about the collaborative culture and observation that everyone here is ambitious and motivated....you are right! Nearmap isn't going to be for everyone. We are looking for people who thrive in high growth and fast-paced environments who love to learn. You are obviously one of those people so it is great to have you on board.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 36 Reviews