zulily Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.8
zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is relatively good (in 26 reviews)

• Fast-paced - you will never be bored (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging like all retailers (in 46 reviews)

• Little to no communication company wide (in 16 reviews)

1. "zulily is Not for Everyone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work schedules.

Ability to work from home.

If you are a self-starter and go-getter you will love your time at zulily. If not and you need tasks lists, supervision and tiered-style of development - zulily is NOT the place for you.

Greatest part about zulily is finding a way to make your own path. You have to ask for what you want and know what you are asking for. Nothing will be handed to you at zulily just because you show up. For some of us, that is where we belong.

If you have ideas, can collaborate effectively and lnow your way around retail, you can find a place here.

Some fun company sponsored events, but also seem to be getting cheaper with those too.

Cons

Low pay and poor benefits are a huge reason people leave. They also leave due to poor management styles and a seriously lack of incentives. The training is sub-par & different for everyone. People move around a lot or leave after short periods of time.

Company uses contractors and they tend to be a pretty negative bunch after a couple of months. If they are converted, there is already a bad taste and their attitudes seem to reflect that.

The lack of understanding between upper management and the reality of what is going on in the day to day is pretty awful. The basic assumptions made about the business based on one of the ambiguous, and often different, reports, is laughable. Seems to constantly miss what is actually happening downstream.

The knee jerk reactions to EVERYTHING. We joke on our team as each “problem” makes it’s way through the cycle month after month - Rinse & Repeat. WHAT is the overall strategy for each divison/team/brand that is NOT just based on demand????? How is zulily going to build successful partnerships?

Lack of communication amongst tech teams and having zero idea how one roll-out will affect another team. Systems break every.single.day.

zulily has “Values” but don’t adhere to them in a way that builds a cohesive and innovative culture. Instead, it feels like they rely on new people’s energy until they burn out and leave - often taking their knowledge out the door and leaving a gap.

Advice to Management

I knew what I was getting into when I started, and I also have no long-term goals to stay here.

If you keep having the same problems why keep trying to solve it the same way? It is absurd. Stop playing favorites and promoting people who are not that good at what they do. Seen it dozens of times in the last 2.5 years, while your best assets keep leaving.

Pay people what they are worth.

2. "Only ok"

Current Employee - Picker in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Picker in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Comparable pay. Most of coworkers fairly friendly.

Cons

Mandatory overtime at peak and rest of the time the hours are iffy. Suck ups can stand around and get to talk with managers and everyone else is just a name.

Advice to Management

Take some time to get to know me! Listen. Asked for cross training for months and still waiting. Stick by values-not quantity over quality.

"Churn and Burn"

Former Employee - Buyer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Buyer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice location, (mostly) nice coworkers, employee discounts.

Cons

This company burns through it's underpaid employees until they quit from exhaustion. Executive management seemed clueless about what was going on at the department level while middle management looked the other way on workplace bullying, played favorites, and failed to build successful teams. Pointless "Rah Rah" all-hands meetings and misinformation just added to the confusion. Glad I got out!

Advice to Management

Get your boots on the ground with the troops every once in a while, so you can evaluate how things are really going. Keep an eye on middle management and make sure they're actually good at their jobs, besides just making money (HR nightmares about). Don't make sweeping decisions that affect entire teams without making sure you have the big picture.

"."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gahanna, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gahanna, OH (US)

I worked at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some great people, Sample Sale, office space is nice.

Cons

Management does not seem to care about employees. Only cares about the numbers. No work life balance. No raises or bonuses and paychecks/salaries are way below what other companies are paying. Management makes a lot of money but relies on others to pick up the slack with no recognition or reward.

Advice to Management

Pay your hard working employees what they are worth. Listen to your employees. don't take credit for their work and then reap the rewards.

6. "Very good"

Current Employee - Business A in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Business A in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good Work Life Balance

Cons

The teams are not that pushy. So if you are looking for hard core work, this might not be place

7. "great environment poor pay"

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

casual fun environment, great if you have a good manager.

Cons

poor pay compared to seattle industry norms.

8. "Good to Gain Experience"

Current Employee - Talent Booker in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Booker in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people I work with! Casual, fun atmosphere.

Cons

Low pay and lack of transparency in most management processes. Leadership has awful tenancy to only hire their friends (internally and externally).

Advice to Management

Be more open with your employees, and consider paying them the industry standard(s).

"Average"

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

Friendly people and fun atmosphere. People are approachable and laid back. Their are a lot of fun work events to bring people together.

Cons

Very low pay especially for the location and in comparison to competitors. Poor benefits with really high copay. Training doesn't seem thorough.

Advice to Management

Show your value of employees more, and have more effective training practices.

10. "Assistant Buyer"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

3 work from home days a month, great team collaboration environment, relaxed dress code

Cons

Do not give employees opportunities to advance. Reviews should include a salary increase.

11. "flash sales productivity"

Former Employee - Photographer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Photographer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You aren't over-managed, the environment doesn't feel too corporate for being corporate.

Cons

Sloppy work and poor pay for high paced environment

Advice to Management

To pay workers what they deserve for creating the content that drives the sales for the site.