zulily Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The pay is lower than other places but there's a lot of work/life balance and you get to work with amazing people" (in 50 reviews)

• "Low pay and poor benefits are a huge reason people leave" (in 38 reviews)

1. "Mediocre benefits and high expectations"

Current Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The facilities are top notch with in-building lunch, a Starbucks, and it's own gym.

Cons

Employees are run ragged without much support or understanding of what is needed to complete job.

2. "Studio Manager"

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

action oriented environment; innovation & entrepreneurial spirit; skill building & personal growth; amazing people

Cons

fast growth without proper framework to support

Advice to Management

keep leveraging values & investment in leaders to drive performance

3. "Life of a buyer"

Pros

Dynamic work environment but ever changing.

Cons

Work life balance is missing.

4. "Great place for innovation"

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

innovation (business ownership), training, networking, strategizing ability, cross-functionality

Cons

manager alignment, constant change within organization, Talent Ego

5. "New-Grad Employment Factory: Get in, get your experience, and get out."

Pros

Laid back, ok work culture. Worked here as a copywriter for a little under a year. The work was monotonous and at peak times could require more than 8hrs to complete, but the people who work in studio are a delight. However, this isn’t a place I’d ever want to stake my career. It’s perfect for recent grads looking to get some corporate experience.

Cons

Little room for advancement, no way to express ideas for improvement, and it was hard to see a promising path, which ultimately led to my resignation.

Advice to Management

I often felt I valued as an employee here, no matter the effort I put in, however, it was also a pretty easy job, so I mean.

6. "Warehouse associate"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in McCarran, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in McCarran, NV (US)

I worked at zulily full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy work, I met lots of amazing people.

Cons

Benefits are bad, HR is useless, not a safe work environment. No guarantee of a full 40 hour week, especially in the first part of the year. No annual raises after 6 years. Traffic jams!

Advice to Management

Improve medical insurance, improve the ergonomics of the work stations. Communicate better with other managers and create set standard for everyone.

7. "Accounts Payable Specialist 1"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Gahanna, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Gahanna, OH (US)

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros - dress attire flexible, flexible schedule

Cons

disorganized, customer service environment vs finance environment

Advice to Management

professionalism needed

"Incredibly smart, talented, and hard working people abound!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people! They are amazing! Seriously... there is something about zulily that attracts some of the smartest and most talented people. They aren't afraid of a challenge and most tackle them with a smile. I am so impressed by my colleagues everyday.
    - Opportunity! There is so much opportunity here to grow and learn. It's what brought me here and yet I had no idea when I walked in just how much I would get to touch, improve, and give my thoughts on. I have appreciated how quickly management has asked me for my opinion and said "Go run with it!"
    - Location - I love the Seattle office. Near the water makes for a great spot to walk out for meetings, grab happy hour with colleagues, etc.
    - Always improving - I'm always hearing "How could we do this better?" or "How could we learn from this?" I really love that we don't dwell on mistakes but instead just try to do better next time. People here are hungry to achieve so it doesn't take us long to be on to the next thing.
    - Variety - you'll never be bored. If you are, something is going wrong cause there is never a dull day around here.
    - Random perks like paid volunteer days, sample sales, gratitude getaways, and other fun events throughout the year.

Overall, I just really enjoy zulily! It's not for everyone but I think if you like a challenge and don't mind speaking up when you need help or have a question, you'll do just great!

Cons

- Compensation and benefits - not nearly as competitive as other companies nearby but also, they offer something (opportunity) you won't get at other places so it's a trade off. I wish there were more perks like work from home, more PTO, more holidays, or just more flex time to be out of the office when you need it.
    - The company moves so fast that there aren't solid processes or stable systems to rely on. It can be frustrating to have to deal with the same breaking systems or bad processes.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I would invest in your tools and processes. I think great people would stay longer if they didn't have to deal with clunky tools and inefficient processes. You bring in high performers which is great, but to keep them you've got to keep them engaged by removing obstacles in their way (ie. stop building everything in house, take the time to slow down and rework a process, etc).

9. "Business Development"

Current Employee - Business Development in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not Micro managed on duties. A lot of trust and room to "do the job". No issues with coming in early, no comments about it either pos or neg.

Cons

There are some games played with favorites, but I think that is almost everywhere today.

Advice to Management

Be open minded to hire passed employees. There could be many major advantages.

"Weak benefits for emploees"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex hours, Monday through Friday with holidays off, casual work environment.

Cons

No room to grow, raises, PTO is horrible and there aren’t many perks for working there.