Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Very mixed range of skillset, experience, and intelligence

Software Development Engineer I (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Pros- The smart ones are some of the smartest teammates you will ever have
- You WILL learn a lot
- you get paid like a boss coming right out of school

Cons- The dumb ones are some of the dumbest people you will encounter (and may drag you down with them)
- Every once a while, you may be put on a nasty project. sometimes by yourself. sometimes without any help, but they have expectations that you'll finish. early.
- you will have to wear a pager and be on call some time (some teams have light schedules, with one week per every 4 months, but some teams make you go on call one of every 3 weeks)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let someone be a manager just because they have been there for 10+ years. if they're not fit, it's time to recognize that and either add someone else or just swap him. Horrible Management means capped creativity (which kills a product innovation team)

I've been generally satisfied, but as Amazon balloons in personnel I worry.

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: You get to build some of the world's leading software. Cons: You must support and maintain crap that somebody else wrote, but your… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Okay projects, bad work environment, terrible benefits

Software Development Engineer II (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: Projects are interesting. You can get technical challenge with… Cons: Work environment is not great. In the beginning, A shared desk was assigned to me without cube. A small war-room kind of office… Advice to Senior Management: You need to care your employees as human being. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!