Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Boring

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, talented & fun coworkers, flexible hours, work from home, wide selection of food trucks at lunch time

Cons

This was a developer position, and I barely got the opportunity to program, and when I did it was mind numbingly trivial. I worked in Retail Systems, and they are mostly bogged down in trouble tickets and constant feature requests from the business side, leaving little time to actually develop software. Furthermore, the paranoia about losing money leads to aversion toward software change, which means the code-base is a monstrous pile of incremental changes accumulated over the years. Almost no documentation, and I frequently would hear sentiments that documentation or comments would be a hindrance-- since that would mean having to maintain the documentation or comments in parallel with the code (this might have just been a cultural aspect of my team). There seems to be a revolving door for young developers, as well as people jumping around from team to team, so teams' know-how deteriorates to the point where there are large portions of code that no one is familiar with. And yet, you have to support that code when you are on-call. If you aren't familiar with on-call, it means getting paged at any time of day when there are problems with the software. You might be thrown into a scenario where you are responsible for Amazon ordering being down, and the problem lies in your team's software, but you aren't familiar with that part of the code. You will probably just have to relay this to your team members-- which is fine-- but needless to say it is stressful.

I was promised to eventually get the chance to do some real software development, but perhaps not for a year or more. If you are in it for the long haul, maybe it could be okay. I didn't care about the money, and it didn't make it worth letting my career stagnate for 2-3 years waiting until I was senior enough to do maybe have the chance to do some real work.

Slow down feature requests, and realize that technical debt and software cruft are a serious detriment to the companies future, and drives away talent who would prefer to design and innovate in a way which would secure a better future for the company. Treat your employees better-- the "customer obsession" and "frugality" mantras alienate employees to the point where they feel like customers come before them.

3938 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Innovative and fun company to work for

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay very well with good benefits
    Allow for creativity. Anyone who has a good idea is told to go try it, if it works it's implemented throughout the company

Cons

Always changing environment. While this can be a good thing to avoid totally monotonous work, it's kind of demoralizing how things change as soon as you get good at it.
    Tough work-life balance, especially during peak time

I worked as a lower level manager, but upper management was very up front with reviews and accessible. I didn't have any issues with the upper management team

Great place to learn

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) diversity in teams you can try out
    2) Solid technology company
    3) smart coworkers

Cons

1) No perks aka stingy
    2) operational burden can burn you out in some teams