Amazon.com
3.4 of 5 2,796 reviews
www.amazon.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

Progressively Structured and Formal

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCustomer-centric and fast paced. Always launching new services to customers. Great peers and direct reports, everyone genuinely comes to work ready to work hard. I've seen many entry level employees move to management or analyst positions over the years. Some of the smartest leaders and managers I've worked with have come through the doors at Amazon. Pay is competitive.

ConsWhere once there was an environment for innovation there is red tape, especially in operations where front line associates want so badly to be heard and respected. Fast growth and formal structure is overtaking the informal and unstructured culture that was once sought after. Poor hiring decisions - There are so many new mid/high level managers hired externally who do not exude Amazon leadership principles. They have MBA's but don't know how to work with people, develop or inspire them.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany culture is waning. Remember what it means to be an Amazonian, and the pride behind the brand years ago. I've seen more reliable, smart, inventive people who were going to be lifers with Amazon leave in the last two years. My newly hired peers typically shy away from healthy debate. Hear what your front line employees are saying they are the backbone of the company.

Love / Hate Relationship

Senior Software Development Manager III (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Lots of smart people, lots of cool projects, really value… Cons: poor health care benefits, caustic work environment (dog eat dog), high attrition rate,… Advice to Senior Management: Consider the reputation that you have in the community. You have 1/2 of an incredible company (i.e. the smart people,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Cheaper company

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: You're CTC might appear as a good number (read the offer doc carefully, even the employer PF goes from your CTC) Number of stocks (mostly you'll… Cons: As someone mentioned, Employees are "Resources". Management will look at you as a "price tag". Facilities are too frugal and I feel most of the employees… Advice to Senior Management: You look so cheaper!! Just reduce the "frugality" bar!! Don't be cheap just to add a point in your performance review!! Arrange some… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.