Progressively Structured and Formal

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Customer-centric and fast paced. Always launching new services to customers. Great peers and direct reports, everyone genuinely comes to work ready to work hard. I've seen many entry level employees move to management or analyst positions over the years. Some of the smartest leaders and managers I've worked with have come through the doors at Amazon. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Where once there was an environment for innovation there is red tape, especially in operations where front line associates want so badly to be heard and respected. Fast growth and formal structure is overtaking the informal and unstructured culture that was once sought after. Poor hiring decisions - There are so many new mid/high level managers hired externally who do not exude Amazon leadership principles. They have MBA's but don't know how to work with people, develop or inspire them.

Company culture is waning. Remember what it means to be an Amazonian, and the pride behind the brand years ago. I've seen more reliable, smart, inventive people who were going to be lifers with Amazon leave in the last two years. My newly hired peers typically shy away from healthy debate. Hear what your front line employees are saying they are the backbone of the company.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

Fullfillment Center

Current Employee - Area Manager  in  Carlisle, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Carlisle, PA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are very friendly and people are asked to do things not ordered

Cons

Sometimes there are no consequences for employees actions or behavior

Befirm with employees and if needed, let them go.

Fast growth leads to growing pains in fulfillment network

Former Employee - Pathways Operations Intern  in  Lexington, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Pathways Operations Intern in Lexington, KY (US)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Smart people; fast-paced environment; strong performance; constant effort to improve operations
    Everyone I met was energetic and eager to improve operations in the warehouse. They are quant hounds who know how to use data to make decisions so this is a great place to test your analytical skills.

Cons

Burn out in staff at fulfillment centers leads to chronic short-staffing and unhappy hourly workers; Christmas peak season is a crazy time and not for the faint of heart! Having grown at 30% CAGR for years, the strains are really felt on the ground in delivering to customers.

Improve your hiring practices to reduce staff stress

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!