Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Progressively Structured and Formal

ProsCustomer-centric and fast paced. Always launching new services to customers. Great peers and direct reports, everyone genuinely comes to work ready to work hard. I've seen many entry level employees move to management or analyst positions over the years. Some of the smartest leaders and managers I've worked with have come through the doors at Amazon. Pay is competitive.

ConsWhere once there was an environment for innovation there is red tape, especially in operations where front line associates want so badly to be heard and respected. Fast growth and formal structure is overtaking the informal and unstructured culture that was once sought after. Poor hiring decisions - There are so many new mid/high level managers hired externally who do not exude Amazon leadership principles. They have MBA's but don't know how to work with people, develop or inspire them.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany culture is waning. Remember what it means to be an Amazonian, and the pride behind the brand years ago. I've seen more reliable, smart, inventive people who were going to be lifers with Amazon leave in the last two years. My newly hired peers typically shy away from healthy debate. Hear what your front line employees are saying they are the backbone of the company.

Fullfillment Center

Area Manager (Current Employee) Carlisle, PA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: People are very friendly and people are asked to do… Cons: Sometimes there are no consequences for employees actions or behavior Advice to Senior Management: Befirm with employees and if needed, let them go. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Amazon will eat your soul

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: The best part about Amazon is its focus on ownership. You really have the opportunity to contribute to your project, and in more ways than… Cons: I can't imagine having less work-life balance. We don't get sick days, so when you get sick you come in to work and give whatever you… Advice to Senior Management: Management is pretty open about the high turnover rate (gee, I wonder why people are leaving) with the average person leaving after about 6 months.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!