Amazon.com
3.4 of 5 2,819 reviews
www.amazon.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

Amazon's the world's largest non-profit startup

I have been working at Amazon.com for more than a year

ProsAlmost everyone at Amazon is very talented, and the culture that Amazon explicitly values is positively unique among other megacorporations. The company is pretty generous with stock grants, though they tend to have protracted vesting schedules (could hardly be more so).

ConsWhat you've heard about pagers is true. Amazon is frugal to a fault, and most technical roles involve at least some portion of after-hours on-call operational support, no matter how talented you think you are. AWS is something of an exception; that org has more outsourced support teams to help with some of the more established service issues. Negotiate on the way in because, like many companies, annual compensation increases are modest at best. The company also has a very bad habit of buying the cheapest possible laptops for even its technical employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoiding attrition by valuing your contributors is important! Small things can matter a lot more than they cost. Even young people need work/life balance for long-term success, and people at any age need to sleep uninterrupted most of the time.

Work hard, have a huge impact

Software Development Engineer I (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: + Your work will likely be seen and used by millions + Fantastic… Cons: - Fairly stressful environment - Monthly on-call rotation Advice to Senior Management: Frugality shouldn't mean it's not the default to have the best tools for the job (dual monitors, newer… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

If you have the knowledge to ge hired there is nothing to gain from working at this company

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: You will meet a lot smart people, I'm not saying you will benefit from that. You will have a job and… Cons: Operations or "on-call" - which is split between in hours and out of hours sucks it's the worst kind of operations, you can only compare… Advice to Senior Management: I know there are a lot of people that would like to work for Amazon, I know because I interview them, but Amazon IMHO is… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.