MasterCard
www.mastercard.com Purchase, NY 5000+ Employees

Good company to work for

Business Leader (Current Employee)
Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people are very nice, and there is not a lot of back stabbing or competition.

The pay is good, and the bonuses are fairly consistent. The business model is built on solid footing. The company is a strong, stable performer and not likely to go anywhere.

The suburban location is convenient if you're not in the city, and the company bends over backwards to make the reverse commute easy. There are even buses that go to and from the two nearest train stations in the morning and evening.

Ajay (CEO) has made some good improvements to the culture, but change is slow and unsteady.

ConsThe company still has a problem doing anything without a "consensus." The company claims to be "results oriented," but performance reviews still focus on process. (How you do things, not whether you get things done).

In the law department, HR puts every lawyer in the same bucket (commercial, litigators, IP) and that means some lawyers are over paid and others are under paid. It's great if you're on one end, miserable on the other.

Promotions are a mystery. People who are universally seen (by their peers) as manipulative or lightweight usually get promoted. Many with a long list of accomplishments and the respect of their peers are stuck at entry-level for years.

The mystery around promotions and not discriminating between types of lawyers chases a lot of the high performing talent away.

Communication is broken. What we do hear is usually gibberish. We won't hear of a promotion, a lateral move or a departure until weeks later if ever. The usual reason, "management didn't want people to get jealous or nervous" makes everyone think management is ashamed of what they did or they are hiding something.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like adults and get rid of anyone who can't be treated like an adult.

We understand belt-tightening is necessary, but it should be equal. It's harder to grin and bear it when you are starving for resources but some groups are always adding more.

If you don't get rid of under performers, especially at the top, the people who can produce will leave on their own.

OK.. growth paths are not based on skills

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: great technology, fast pace and some great leaders. Cons: while some great ppl are in leadership or moved forward… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good First Start

NOC Technician (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Decent Pay Close to Home Gave me a start in IT Cons: Management didn't know about Job duties. Work Environment was Dark and old. I call it the… Advice to Senior Management: Update you work environment Need a training program. Not Tribal knowledge… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on MasterCard.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All reviews posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.