MasterCard
www.mastercard.com Purchase, NY 5000+ Employees

My expectations were wrong

Vice President (Former Employee)
Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

ProsWhen I thought about joining MasterCard, I had reservations. It appeared to be a good place to go if you had decided you wanted to coast along, and do a minimal amount of work. But my interview, and my subsequent job experience proved otherwise.

MasterCard is full of bright people, who are energetic and know the industry. With rare exception, I was impressed by the people I met, their backgrounds and the competency they brought to the tasks at hand.

For people who are interested in the payments space, it's a great place to work.

ConsOn the other hand, I would say that MasterCard is unnecessarily bureaucratic for an organization of its size. Because of the incentive system and other factors, there's a lot of turf battles, less than needed coordination, and inefficiencies. However, there is a concerted effort (and there has been for many years) to change that.

The IPO appeared to also change how the business was run--more risk adversion, more of a short term focus, more attention to boosting the daily stock price.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so risk adverse and allowing HR and Legal to run the business. Create better coordination by revising the incentive structure and individual objectives.

Out with the old

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee)
Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros: Truly global company with many opportunities to work with and… Cons: Executive Management are essentially people who grew up in the old association and therefore have no idea… Advice to Senior Management: The unbelievable luck we've had to be in an industry growing 20% for years is just that...luck. Now that this growth is slowing, we… More

Generally speaking, a good place to work (depends on manager...)

Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros: - Matches 6% on 401K (as of 2009) - Various products and groups which allow for career development - Tuition reimbursement - On-site… Cons: - Bad communication from upper management continues to plague the company. Hard to relax when rumors of impending layoffs are constantly swirling.… Advice to Senior Management: - Be careful in simply meeting financial targets when laying off. You have lost some major assets to the company by targeting a headcount number… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on MasterCard.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All reviews posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.