MasterCard

www.mastercard.com
  www.mastercard.com
There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard

My expectations were wrong

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Purchase, NY (US)
Former Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

When I thought about joining MasterCard, I had reservations. It appeared to be a good place to go if you had decided you wanted to coast along, and do a minimal amount of work. But my interview, and my subsequent job experience proved otherwise.

MasterCard is full of bright people, who are energetic and know the industry. With rare exception, I was impressed by the people I met, their backgrounds and the competency they brought to the tasks at hand.

For people who are interested in the payments space, it's a great place to work.

Cons

On the other hand, I would say that MasterCard is unnecessarily bureaucratic for an organization of its size. Because of the incentive system and other factors, there's a lot of turf battles, less than needed coordination, and inefficiencies. However, there is a concerted effort (and there has been for many years) to change that.

The IPO appeared to also change how the business was run--more risk adversion, more of a short term focus, more attention to boosting the daily stock price.

Stop being so risk adverse and allowing HR and Legal to run the business. Create better coordination by revising the incentive structure and individual objectives.

284 Other Employee Reviews for MasterCard (View Most Recent)

MasterCard is a tough place to work and get ahead!

Former Employee - Director  in  Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

MasterCard offers a good place to balance work and home life. If you like to work 9-5 with very little stress, this the company to work for.

Cons

MasterCard likes to clean house every quarter and never announces it in the media. They do not like to re-hire former employees. Access to major highways is a bonus.

Senior Management shoud spend more time intercating with employees. Bring in new managers that have not worked in the old "payments assocation" business model.

Historically has paid well with profit sharing. Can be a frustrating place to work

Current Employee - Business Leader  in  Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

MasterCard does pay well in comparison to other companies and there are a great number of bright people.

Cons

MasterCard has become way too risk averse. they won't fire people who should be let go, they take forever to make a decision and move forward with initiatives and there are too many cross functional work streams that aren't truly empowered to get anything done.

Upper management should do a better job of knowing who's who within the company. who is well respected, who is a "go to" on each team etc. Too many people are concerned with managing up only.

There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!