BioWare

www.bioware.com

A stimulating company that focuses on quality of life over speed of production.

Associate Designer (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsFood, comfort, and happy people. BioWare is a comfortable place to work and a happy environment. You must find a healthy place in the corporate structure where creativity is allowed to thrive and corporate needs are sheltered by strong leads. There are some really creative people at BioWare, and it is an absolutely amazing environment to wet one's feet or season one's skills.

ConsThe large corporate mogul of EA opens doors but closes independent thought. Only on the micro-level may creativity thrive, for revolutionary ideas that can be iterated on rapidly in a small company setting turn into months-long trudge of certification, documentation, and stagnation. Long "assembly-line" like production pipelines turn great ideas into watered-down results, quashing the desire for creativity into production, as the outcome of both becomes identical.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease employee turnover to perfect their skills instead of firing and re-hiring temporary workers. Eliminate work-flow pipeline issues by seasoning your people and unifying your technology. It should not take 6 months for a new designer to learn the ropes, and another 6 to master them. That's 4 and 8 months too long, where employees are gratuitously unproductive in comparison to seasoned veterans. On top of that, the forced turnover rate eliminates many of the seasoned workers before they can share their wealth of accumulated knowledge, leading to a downward spiral of production that can only end in one way.

It is truly a learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at BioWare full-time

Pros: You can learn a lot about the game industry. Cons: The game industry is based on people's extra income and… Advice to Senior Management: In order to be a designer you need to play… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Fun environment with interesting tech

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at BioWare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: * Lots of room for learning new teach and solving… Cons: * Management communication leaves lots to be desired * Lots of "Tech Managers". Basically strong… Advice to Senior Management: Learn to communicate with employees better. Secrecy is a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on BioWare.

Worked for BioWare? Contribute to the Community!