There are newer employer reviews for Generac Power Systems

Generac's Management blows major chunks

Current Employee - Dealer Acquisitions in Whitewater, WI (US)
Current Employee - Dealer Acquisitions in Whitewater, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems

Pros

The best reason to work at Generac is if you are interested in the generator market and need experience.

Cons

Management doesn't know anything. They can't communicate to save their lives. We learn about job critical information a day before the public does. We, the employees, have to constantly make excuses for upper management. I don't think management isn't from the same planet as the rest of us. Turn over in our department is more than 50%. My report to doesn't know the product and her report to is even worse - and she reports to the president of the company! Some of her great lines are:
1) We are make 360 degree changes from what we used to do.
2) Double $150 is $250!
3) I really can see people having on average $46,000.00 in disposable income.

I think the biggest thing for senior management is to stop playing intra office politic's games. It seems like all they are trying to do is keep their jobs as they fire people below them.

50 Other Employee Reviews for Generac Power Systems (View Most Recent)

Great company, great people, sub par compensation.

Current Employee - Territory Development Manager in Waukesha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Development Manager in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding job, every day is different, have built excellent working relationships with many different groups of people, from peers, to directors, and dealers. Company gives the right tools for you to be successful(Channel programs, computer, phone, etc). Benefits are decent. Superiors are hands off and let you get your job done with minimal supervision.

Cons

Expectation is 20% growth year after year and is attainable if willing to put fourth the effort and it is the rewarding part of the job. The unrewarding part is that they are not willing to compensate for the effort. Commission/bonus structure is capped, what is the incentive to go above and beyond? They use historical numbers to create budgets for the following year. So you only hurt yourself to knock it out of the park. Base pay is 30-40% below industry standards, and your bonus structure is calculated off your base pay. If compensation was where it needed to be, and you could write your own ticket with hard work, this would be an excellent career choice.

The opportunity for growth is limited out in the field as they like to promote with in the corporate office and the field reps never get a chance to even look at a job as it is normally filled before the position is posted.

If you want to keep the aggressive growth, more incentive is needed to keep pushing sales above and beyond goals out in the field.

Certainly not cutting edge

Current Employee - Engineer I
    Current Employee - Engineer I

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

A lot of the people who actually do the work here are great. Many employees have been here for 10-20+ years and it's most likely because this is an easy place to work if you don't want to be challenged, promoted, recognized for good work/ideas, etc. If you show up, do some work, don't cause problems, and go home - you could fly under the radar here forever.

Cons

There's absolutely no upward mobility. They hire Vice Presidents here 2-1 to workers, which I find hysterical. Ergonomics is a topic that goes unmentioned here. The working population is mostly age 50+. You can imagine what kind of values and ethics come along with that kind of group.

There are newer employer reviews for Generac Power Systems