Elastic Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Elastic Interview Questions

Interviews at Elastic

2.9

Salesforce Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Elastic (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

I applied through Recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. First 30 mins with Recruiter. Second part was 30 mins with manager and architect. Third part was with 2 senior developers.

Interview Questions

• Don't waste your time with this company. They will keep you hanging.   Answer Question
    • 2 senior developer most of the time were distracted during interview.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Elastic in June 2020.

Interview

Straightforward interview. I applied online and got contacted for phone interview about 2 weeks later. The phone screening was with HR and was mainly conversational (why do you want to work here, tell me about your background, etc.).

I was contacted a few days later to say they would not be moving forward despite the interview going well.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Elastic (New York, NY (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

I applied online, the recruiter contacted me a month later. After that the interview process was quick and transparent. It took 3 weeks from the first call with recruiter to the offer. 4 interviews in total. Positive experience, good technical and behavioural questions. Recruiter kept in touch and delivered news as soon as they get any.

Interview Questions

• Stages of CI/CD pipeline
      Give an example of the conflict at work and how you solved it   Answer Question

16 Sep 2020 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review. A 3+ week process is definitely speedy and we're glad to hear that the communications were quick and transparent. Welcome to Elastic!

Sales Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Elastic.

Interview

apply - phone call - video call - then onsite?
    They all have a history of being late for their calls/meetings. And then they will remove you from the process because of something they did even though you did everything you could. plus 3 weeks just to get 2 calls set..their process needs improving

I would not recommend interviewing here. At least not until they know how to value candidate's time. If they do that on the interview, IMAGINE what it would be like if you were to work there.

Interview Questions

• Nothing to complex - why do you want to work here? dive into your back ground   Answer Question

4 Sep 2020 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review and we apologize for our process falling short of your expectations. I agree that three weeks to schedule two calls is too long and there is no excuse for everyone being late to their calls/meetings. We will address this with our interview and recruiting team to ensure we improve upon this moving forward. Thank you again for the feedback and we hope you may give Elastic another look in the future, as we certainly feel we can put a better foot forward next time around.

Sales Compensation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Elastic (Austin, TX (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

The interviewer was candid, opening by asking what I wanted to know about the role. The company is growing quickly, so don't be surprised if job descriptions/requirements have changed since you applied.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to know about the role.   1 Answer

Director, Trade Shows Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Elastic (Seattle, WA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Entire process was over Zoom before the pandemic. Was surprised for a director level role there were 7 interviews including the CMO. 30 minutes each and one additional visit with the hiring manager. Offer presented and then rescinded after the offer was delivered. A waste of my time, resources and speaks volumes about their recruiting process

Interview Questions

• They didn't ask any specific questions. More of a conversation. Style was different from what I had experienced in my 26 year career.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Elastic in February 2020.

Interview

The process consisted of an initial call with the recruiter for 30 minutes, followed up by a video call with the hiring manager which lasted an hour and covered the basics of product marketing, and background on the company and what they were looking for. I was too experienced for the role.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your recent product marketing experience.   Answer Question

Senior Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Elastic (Portland, OR (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Complete waste of time, look elsewhere. Although I did not get an offer due to them believing I was not competent enough for the position, I wound up going through my four other >$150K offers and accepted a $170K, unlimited PTO, fully remote role elsewhere, if that gives you any idea as to how accurately your skills are judged in this process. Easily the most unprofessional interview process I have experienced. They were making things up as they went.

I spent a full month talking to people across several slowly-scheduled interviews. Aside from the glacial pace, conversation and personality-wise everything was great up until the code test. For background: I have a decade of experience working with big data (and small data), cleaning up data sources and preparing them for ETL pipelines, etc. I write clean, commented, efficient code, and even once designed and implemented an ETL analytics workflow that directly resulted in millions in revenue for a previous company and led to my promotion to work directly under the CEO & COO. With that in mind, I was told by Elastic that based on my submitted code sample that I would not be selected because they did not think I could parse data input to a program or acknowledge areas for improvement, both of which were inaccurate judgments. I could spend a lot of time going into the details of how flawed the code interview process was, but I'll leave you with a few highlights:
    * Having designed my own code review process and used it to hire 5 or so interns in the past, I know that a well-run code review process should feel like a welcoming, friendly, professional conversation. This came across as a grueling PhD qualifying exam experience. They would ask a question on how to improve something, I would acknowledge that the code was not as efficient as it could be and provide options for improvement, then ask for feedback, and get blank, cold emotional terse responses in return. I have never felt more un-welcomed in an interview process than I did during this code interview. It was very bizarre; the code interview seemed to be run by smart people with lacking social skills. It seemed to me as if the interviewers had no interest in engaging in a conversation but were instead asking a list of scripted questions and could not figure out how to respond to a real back-and-forth discussion.
    * They give you a large JSON sample dataset to use in a hackerrank environment that does not allow you to copy-paste that JSON so that you can use it in local-environment testing. Not a single person on the interviewing team that designed the problem was aware of this time-wasting flaw in their own testing environment. I had to manually transcribe JSON into an external test environment before I could even begin coding.
    * They verbally stated, multiple times in fact, that the quality of the code would not matter and would only be used as a starter point for discussion, so don't worry about making it messy and just stay within the 2h time limit. However, there was ultimately no time limit on the challenge, and other candidates more desperate for a job spent more than my self-imposed 2h time limit on the question to produce more ideal code. Ultimately, I imagine the most ideal code regardless of time spent on the problem is what resulted in job offers, despite convincing conversations indicating the opposite.

At the end of the day, interviewing here was not only a massive waste of my time but an insult to my well-established skillset. I have had a successful long-running career at well-known companies, but apparently I don't know how to parse data. Thankfully, there are a number of other companies out there that have a more professionally run interviewing process that gave me excellent offers. I highly recommend you respect yourself and look elsewhere.

16 Sep 2020 – Recruiting Manager

"Thank you for taking the time to write this. We understand that many candidates like you are also interviewing at other companies and comparing experiences. It appears we fell short (by a lot). It seems like your dissatisfaction was with our code testing step and it sounds like it was due to a mix of misaligned expectations going into the test and disagreement about our assessment. We agree that direction and expectations should be aligned going in and that's something we will fix. We're currently looking into a universal code testing platform for all roles to avoid some of the imperfections like you mentioned with JSON testing environment.

Regarding assessment, we have a globally distributed environment and a value of As YOU, Are. I wonder if some of your feedback may not be taking into account different cultures and ways of communicating. At Elastic, we ""assume no malice"" and try to understand the intentions of others, especially since English is not everyone's first language and communication norms vary quite broadly across 40+ countries. This is one aspect of Elastic that widens our individual perspectives and enriches our collective work, especially with such a global customer base. Regardless, we apologize that this wasn't what you hoped for and we're glad you've landed somewhere you're excited by. "

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Elastic in January 2020.

Interview

Like many others on here, I had my fair share of negative experiences while interviewing with Elastic including the glacial pace of their interview process which so many have complained about. In fact, my experience outlined below occurred over 80 days!

I was initially contacted a few days after submitting my application. Since this is a distributed company, all interviews are conducted virtually. My first two video calls were screening interviews with the recruiter. I was then quickly scheduled for yet another screening interview with a member of the team that I would be working with. A few days later I was asked to have a follow-up call with the recruiter who wanted to discuss next steps. The first red flag was when she asked to schedule the call at 6:30 AM!! I was shocked but did not feel it was appropriate to complain given the recruiter’s distant time zone and the positive feedback I had been given up to this point. I went through with the call at this very early hour and was informed that my first formal interview would occur with the entire team the following week.

The interview went well, though I noticed that the level of questions I was being asked were easily answered by just looking at my resume. It was apparent most people on the call had not taken the time to read it.

Since the process was moving rather quickly up to this point, I asked about next steps. I was told that I should expect two additional interview stages. Three weeks had transpired up to this point since my first call with the recruiter. This is where things started falling apart.

One call I had scheduled with the recruiter regarding next steps was rescheduled only 30 minutes before the appointment. When we finally touched base regarding next steps, I was told to expect another interview with the team manager and would be contacted soon after to have it scheduled. To my surprise, I was then dragged through 5 additional weeks of waiting!!

Each week I followed up for more information, the recruiter just apologized and thanked me for my patience. It became apparent to me they did not have a strict timeline for filling the position. During this time I started being approached by other companies.

For the next interview, the team manager was the only person on the video call. He had already participated in my previous interview so I expected a new round of questions. I was utterly shocked and disgusted when he answered the video call while lying down in his bed with no explanation as to why he found it appropriate!! His room looked like a college dorm. His bed had no headboard other than another smaller mattress (like one from a crib) propped up behind it. He also had his one arm propped up under his head in a very casual manner which I found very unprofessional and uncomfortable for an interview.

The interview was not only inappropriately conducted but was also a complete waste of my time as he had no new questions for me other than how I like the team so far. It was obvious he was not trained on conducting interviews and was not prepared to do so for this call. He indicated that I should expect to participate on the final interview but could not provide a time frame.

After this interview, I had to follow up with the recruiter several times regarding next steps before I finally received a reply. When she finally responded, she indicated she would be in touch to schedule it. When two additional weeks went by without an appointment scheduled, I finally decided to withdraw my application based on the company’s lack of professionalism and obvious lack of respect for my time. My entire interview process had taken up almost 2.5 months and still had not come to an end. Ultimately, I decided to accept a position with another company and am so glad I did.

For anyone reading this review, think long and hard about what you expect from an employer and whether professionalism is important to you. Based on what I experienced, you are likely better off seeking employment elsewhere.

Interview Questions

Elastic Response

16 Sep 2020 – Recruiting Manager

We understand that your time is valuable and feel saddened from your experience. 12+ weeks in a process is unacceptable. And we can imagine why an interviewer being so casual on their bed would be off putting. Our sincere apologies. Being globally distributed, we often do encounter challenges with timezones and strive to align conversation times at reasonable hours. Often times, we are the ones to sacrifice in order to make it more convenient for candidates. We are also formalizing our interviewer training to ensure interviewers understand expectations. Apologies, again!

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Elastic in January 2020.

Interview

Applied online. Heard back from recruiter relatively quickly to set up a phone screen. After this, the process took about a month and involved the following Zoom interviews:

- Discussion of role + resume-focused technical questions with member of the dev team
    - Technical interview involving a mock code review with questions about performance, concurrency, etc. No whiteboarding or algorithm-type questions, just an informal discussion of various language concepts and considerations. Very fair and low-pressure.
    - High-level conversation about technical experience and problem-solving with Tech Lead.
    - Deeper discussion of role and work experience with Director.
    - Brief discussion of role and work experience with VP.
    - Technical and development philosophy discussion with very senior Tech Lead.

Throughout all of this, the recruiter did a great job staying in touch and providing tips on how to mentally prepare for each interview. The interviewers were all friendly and did a good job making the conversations as low-stress as possible. Overall, a great experience with good response-times.

Interview Questions

• Closest thing to a "coding" interview was a few mock PRs in the language required for the role. We went through a few different approaches to solving a particular problem and discussed the bottlenecks and potential pitfalls of each, with a focus on concurrency.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.