Liquid Capital Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 10 Jan 2019

3.5

Sort:

Trainee Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New London, CT (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (New London, CT (US)) in March 2009.

Interview

2 phone interviews, 1 group interview, 3 online test, 1 assessment day

Trader Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (Chicago, IL (US)) in March 2011.

Interview

Had a quick phone call to schedule an in-person interview. They asked me about my background then a series of math questions. Brought in for a second interview where there were 4 different groups that asked me questions. Each group had different math questions as well as asked me some personal questions.

Interview Questions

• How many square miles are in the state of New Mexico   1 Answer

Options Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (London, England (UK)) in June 2010.

Interview

I was called into the office to interview with 2 traders. They asked a few standard questions such as "why are you interested in trading?" and then came a barrage of quantitative reasoning questions, mainly dealing with probability. After a week I was called back for a second round of interviews with the senior members of the company.

Interview Questions

• If we were to play a game in which I were to roll a dice, and you would be paid according to the number it lands on, how much would you pay me to play this game?   1 Answer
    • Whats 15x17?   2 Answers
    • If there was a drawer in front of me containing 4 socks, either black or white, and I know that I have a 50% probability of pulling out two white socks in a row, then what is the probability of pulling out two black socks?   6 Answers

C++ Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Liquid Capital.

Interview

They were hiring a C++ programmer to join their team and my CV was put forward by a recruitment consultant. There was no job specification as such, which having seen this a couple of times now, I have to say I don't consider an enormously good sign. First, why can't the managers put down on paper what they're looking for? Second, as a candidate who hasn't seen a spec it puts you at a disadvantage, as you don't know what level of experience they're looking for, and which skills they consider most important for the role. In any case, I have a lot of experience in their business, and they asked me to come in for an hour to discuss my CV with two senior managers. I thought the interview went well but didn't get called back for a second round, which really surprised me. My working assumption is that they were looking for a more junior person who they could train up, but I'm not 100% sure. If they were looking at a more junior level and there had been a proper spec to make that clear I would have emphasised willingness to learn and interest in the new technology, maybe even willingness to take a pay-cut from my previous job. As it is, I fell at the first hurdle.

Interview Questions

• If you had 20 million to invest in a new business area, how would you go about getting it up and running?   1 Answer

Trainee Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Liquid Capital in September 2009.

Interview

bid-ask game playing, the winner gets to next round office interview
    similar to monopoly

not interested

Trainee Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (London, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

1st round interview was a role playing game in which you have to trade against the others on the final price of the stock (final price that reflected the average between all the prices on the card each one had and all the prices written on the board). it was basically a bid ask game in which you have to benefit from the spread

Quant Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Liquid Capital in February 2010.

Interview

Mainly questions relating to my background, past work experience and thesis. The quants asked general questions about options pricing, potential numerical issues and how to deal with them Talked to the traders, too, who were more after answers to why-are-you-the-right-guy-for-the-job type of questions. All in all quite pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us and what makes you useful to us?   Answer Question

Prop Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (Sydney) in April 2010.

Interview

3 exams, 2 written 1 oral. Very heavy focus on stats and speed arithmetic... Very friendly but highly sharp guys. Value innovative thinking and your ability to understand the markets. Would recommend going on the site and doing as many prac questions as possible!

Trader Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (Sydney) in January 2012.

Interview

Interview, mathematical aptitude test then extensive training program in which you are tested and eliminated. Once the program is finished then the remaining trainees are offered a job as a trainee trader.

Junior Hardware Scripting Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (London, England (UK)) in January 2019.

Interview

I would like to give credit to the interviewers for being prompt and beginning the telephone interview at the agreed time, and for explaining the role and responsibilities in detail. Some very relevant and interesting questions regarding hardware and networking were asked.

The telephone interview was conducted by two members of the hardware engineering team simultaneously. After a brief knowledge test regarding Liquid Capital and their operations, the interviewer asked what sort of salary I was expecting. This is an unprofessional and irrelevant question to ask a candidate this early on in any interview process.

One of the two interviewers used a swear word to describe certain traders in the industry. It seems that the same interviewer has a complex regarding the relationships between traders within the firm and those working within hardware/software, noting that the traders tend to "shout a lot, sometimes at [the hardware team], but usually just shout to themselves.” This has reduced my confidence in Liquid Capital, as interview experiences at other HFT firms have been highly professional and it was apparent that employees from all departments got on well with each other- an attribute which is important to the success of HFT firms as well as all other businesses.

Unlike telephone interviews at other HFT firms, there wasn't really an open opportunity to talk about self-experience. Instead, the interview consisted of quick-fire questions based around Python. This doesn't enable candidates to highlight their own skills and experiences, but instead can potentially make them appear unfit for the job if the interviewers fixed questions are answered incorrectly.

Maybe this role should have been listed as a "Software" role, not as a "Junior Hardware Scripting Engineer"? Some may agree, that just because a Hardware role has "Strong Python skills" as one bullet point in the skills requirement section, it shouldn't mean that the majority of the interview should be about Python.

It is apparent that these employees may be new to interviewing potential candidates, which would explain the poor and unprofessional interview structure.

The apparent conflicts suggested by the interviewer between the traders and coders/quants is very concerning.

You may miss some fantastic candidates in the future if you continue with this style of interview.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.