Okta Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Okta Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Okta

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Got an email from recruiter after applying through school career website, completed a coding challenge, which was fairly easy, and was invited to on-site interview. I have met 3 engineers and 1 VP during the on-site, and the interviews with engineers were fairly difficult but doable. Each consisted of discussion about my past projects and one coding problem. Engineers seemed intelligent and respectful. The one with VP is a cultural one, where I was asked questions like why Okta... Overall, it was a pleasant experience. Still waiting for an offer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Okta

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was working on a two hours programming challenge with this company. The challenge was about password processing. I was not sure what the company really test from us. I finished the challenge in Java, and denied in the next day.

Interview Questions

• Whether a password is valid with several conditions: at a vowels, not triple consecutive vowels or consonants, and no double consecutive letters except for "ee" and "oo"   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Okta.

Interview

First there was an HR screening call, and then a phone screen w/ document sharing. Next there was a timed take home coding test, and finally an onsite interview. Overall the interview process was efficient, scheduling was very quick, and they were very quick to provide feedback after the entire process was complete. The onsite interviews covered algorithms, OO principles, data structures and general coding concepts. Overall a very professional place, and I really appreciated the quick response.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms and data structures   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Okta.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and liked what I saw and heard about the company. Had a 1hr phone interview and a 2hr coding challenge before an onsite interview for 5hrs. Every step of the way there was at least one question that made me think. I enjoyed the challenge and was impressed by how knowledgable and skilled the team they are building is.

Interview Questions

• Implement 2 (human) player chess that detects invalid moves and checkmate.   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation. Liked the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

Started out with a phone interview with HR. A technical phone interview, technical on-site interview and a coding exercise followed that. Everybody was very kind and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Write a CSV parser that correctly handles quotes.   2 Answers
    • Come up with a class diagram for chess   2 Answers
    • Question related to scheduling overlapping meetings   2 Answers

I was offered much less compensation than what was initially mentioned at the HR interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Okta.

Interview

Phone interview: questions about algorithms: sorting, array manipulations, etc
    then coding challenge
    finally a on site interview

Interview Questions

• Dont know why I was rejected despite the fact that I think I solved the questions correctly   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview process started with a recruiter reaching out to me through my linkedin profile. After a round of phone interview, I was invited for a on-site interviews at seattle/ bellevue office. The interviews were pretty standard for software engineering position. I was asked coding questions, questions related to my past projects as well as some system design questions. After these rounds, I was asked to visit headquarters at SFO. During the day, I met around 7-8 people including CTO of the company. For most part, I would say interview questions were straight forward and people were fun and easy to talk to.

The only negative for me was the outcome of the interview and the feedback that followed along the lines of "we don't have level of challenge that you are looking for" - which I found strange considering 1. I was really upfront about type of opportunities I was looking and made sure the recruiter is aware of it at every stage of the interview.
    2. Okta being relatively young company, its bit hard to believe they don't have "challenges".

Overall I would say the experience was positive and I would highly recommend the company to anyone interested in identity management cloud based solutions.

Interview Questions

• Practice data structure, string manipulation questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

one technical phone interview on algorithms (writing code using collab edit ) and 4 onsite rounds conducted by members of team.Questions are mainly on algorithms and about academic projects

Interview Questions

• Create linked list at each level in a tree in reverse order   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

Speaker phone and collabedit based phone screen. Speaker with accent calls me up on speaker phone from conference room, mumbles through an introduction, and launches into coding exercise. Crank it out in a few minutes, so he asks another question. He doesn't like my one liner, so he wants me to reimplement it. I think for about 10-15 seconds, and he wants to know if I'm still there. Yes, I'm still thinking. I take another 10 seconds of thought and he decides he wants to move on.

Asks me some technical questions, but I don't recall what. Eventually he asks why I chose the language I did and not the language he selected. He wasn't satisfied with my answer, I don't recall why.

He mumbled his way through the last half of the interview on speakerphone in a conference room. Pretty awful experience, I wish I'd cut off the interview earlier.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to return the 2 largest integers in a list.   2 Answers
    • Why did you implement your code in the language you used? Your resume lists your current language as Java. Why did you change it?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Okta in November 2015.

Interview

apply online, and I get a online assignments on HackerRank. That was easy. Then the phone interview. The question is easy, but I fail to explain the build heap algorithm as the interviewer hopes.

Interview Questions

• Return k biggest numbers in a unsorted array   4 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.