Smokeball Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Smokeball Interview Questions

Interviews at Smokeball

3.1

Client Software Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smokeball (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

When I first applied to Smokeball, I applied for a specific position other than Client Software Support. For some reason mid-application process, Smokeball changed the position I was applying for to an entirely different position (basically tech support). Smokeball never properly explained why it did this, but I decided to keep moving forward with the process anyway. That wasn't even the worst part about my experience with Smokeball.

I interviewed with three Smokeball employees. The first was a woman who was very kind. Then I interviewed with Smokeball's one of tech people, who had an accent and was incredibly rude and abrasive from the start. At first I thought it might a shtick he thought everybody found funny. Then I realized, no, it's not a shtick; he's just incredibly rude and abrasive to everybody, including the other person who interviewed me with him. The other person didn't say much and really didn't ask me anything substantively.

During the interview, I asked what procedures were in place for responding to clients who were having difficulty with Smokeball's software. The tech guy said, in effect, that almost -- if not all -- of Smokeball's software bugs were Microsoft's fault because Smokeball writes its software on Microsoft's products. So if Smokeball has a software bug, it's not Smokeball's fault, he said. That wasn't even the most shocking part of the interview.

Later, during the same interview, the tech guy said that Smokeball's tech support representatives literally have no power to resolve any of its client's software bugs. Pretty amazing. So if you are a lawyer or a law firm who pays big money for Smokeball's software, you're not going to get any help from its tech support. As an employee working tech support for Smokeball, imagine having to deal with irate lawyers arguing with you, but you literally have no power to help them with the software. Yeah.

After the interview, Smokeball didn't contact me even though I had emailed them promptly afterward. I found it kind of off-putting that Smokeball wouldn't even give me the courtesy of a response when the company knew I had traveled to downtown Chicago from outside the city to interview there. When I followed up yet again, Smokeball eventually responded weeks later to turn me down, telling me I wasn't right for the position for which I didn't apply and essentially was foisted on me.

Smokeball, true to its name, seems like it's blowing a bunch of smoke people's way.

Interview Questions

• Have you had any previous experience in supporting software?   Answer Question

Onboarding Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Smokeball (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Initially applied for the Software Support role and was redirected to interviewing for the Onboarding Specialist position.

First was a phone screening (during which, the HR manager suggested the Onboarding Specialist position). Then came the in-person interviews. I met with a current Onboarding Specialist along with the Client Success Director - conversational tone, laughs, and an office tour were the highlights.

Second in-person interview was with another director and the CEO. Again, conversational tone, a few situational questions. Overall a really great experience - I hope Smokeball goes far!

Ultimately, I’m not sure why I wasn’t picked for the position - I think it could be that I have no real background in the legal billing industry.

Sales and Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Smokeball (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

This was honestly the best interview experience I've ever had. It started off with a phone interview with a sales manager, followed by an in person with that sales manager, HR manager, and a sales director.

Then, the final step was a follow up interview. Wasn't really an interview. I met with 2 reps and shadowed. Got an offer after. The whole process was smooth.

The interview was super conversational, and its clear that they actually care about culture (like FORREAL care, as a lot of these companies preach like they do but really only offer you beer and pingpong). Honestly, the HR manager is who sold me on the job. There is a reason they won best places to work.

Client Success Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smokeball.

Interview

I had a short 15-minute phone interview.
    Then I came to the office to meet with some of the team.
    I received an email the next day to meet with the VP/President.
    I could not come in the day they requested. I tried to schedule a different day but received no response. I followed up a few days later, and still no response.
    Very unprofessional and wonder why companies still do this. It is very frustrating.

Client Success Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smokeball.

Interview

Telephone interview initially with HR Manager which lasted about 30 minutes. In person interview with hiring manager and an employee from the department. Final interview with Vice President. They were very good about making sure my questions regarding the responsibilities of the position were answered by employees who had experience in the position. Very casual atmosphere.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Smokeball (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Spoke with the head of HR then came in for a face-to-face with the VP of Account Managers and then a final interview with the President. Very straight forward questions and they really focused on if you would be a good fit for the culture. I love that they wanted someone who "cared"

Legal Forms and Automation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smokeball (Chicago, IL (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

4 interviewers - Manager, two team-leads and the President of the company. All extremely friendly and relaxed (this is totally in-line with Smokeball's work environment and reputation). Talked previous work experience, how skills would potentially translate to the industry and asked about personality/character traits/work-life balance in general and strengths/weaknesses...

Interview Questions

• If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be?   1 Answer

Account Trainer/Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smokeball (Chicago, IL (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online and within a few days received an email to come in for an in person interview. Interview was conducted by the department manager and president of the company question and answer style. No second interview.

Senior Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Smokeball (Sydney) in July 2018.

Interview

Generic interview with two seniors asking intermediate level questions relating to complexity theory and redux/react.

Had to describe current work and situation as well as a high level overview of the products I've been working on.

Interview Questions

• Write a FizzBuzz loop   Answer Question
    • Quickest way to find duplicate characters in a string   1 Answer
    • How to handle authentication logic in React/Redux (e.g. OAuth2, OIDC)   1 Answer

Legal Billing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Smokeball (Sydney) in April 2018.

Interview

Two interviews with upper management in Australia via phone/Skype. Neither seemed to have any idea of what job responsibilities this position had, and seemed not to know why marketing legal billing software to small firms but not including the capability to do ebilling is a very, very bad idea.

Interview Questions

• What is the most popular docket/document management software in the US? (What?)   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.