Virgin Active Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

2.4

Sort:

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had a qualifying phone call, I then was invited to a THREE hour interview with the GM and AM at one of their locations.
    The Senior GM was excellent, however, the AM kept me for an extended period of time, informing me of his life story, which was interesting but completely unrelated.
    I had the feeling my interview was more for his experience since he seems extremely unqualified and very poor at interviewing.
    After this, I was then invited to another 30 minute interview at their HQ.
    I interviewed with a Senior Manager who seemed tired, vacant and bored during my interview. I was told by him that they would let me know if I'd been successful in a weeks time and he'd send me his email for any questions.
    He never sent me his email and I never heard anything back. No email, no phone call to say I had not been successful.
    I don't know why I was treated this way when I had done well in the three previous interviews.
    MONTHS have passed and they didn't bother to spend the time to send me a message/call to let me know that I didn't get the job.
    I spent time and money on the interviews I won't get back and am shocked that they can't be bothered to follow up with interviewees.
    For a company I had such huge respect for I'm not impressed at all, it's so rude it's unbelievable! At least thank interviewees for their time, where are your employees manners?
    I do not recommend Virgin Active and will not be joining this gym.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were under pressure in a management role?   Answer Question

Virgin Active Response

22 Dec 2017 – Resourcing Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm really sorry you've not had a good experience interviewing with us and particularly disappointed you haven't had a response in a reasonable time. I want to assure you... More

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Virgin Active (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

Via an agency, and initially on a fixed term contract, then made permanent after a year. Interviewed within 24 hours of being submitted for role, and was offered the same afternoon.

Negotiation

there was no negotiation

Membership Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Three stage interview. One group, One with sales manager and one with General manager - Usually I think this is meant to also include regional. It was not bad but they did not give info on what club I would be going to if successful

Interview Questions

• What makes a good sales person   1 Answer

Test Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied for the Test Lead position from abroad. After about 2 weeks I was invited to the first interview and told to pick an interview time on their website from a range of options. I contacted HR and explained that I was currently outside of the UK and was looking to move there, and requested a skype interview. I was told that was ok, but I would need to travel to London if I made it through to the second round for a face to face interview.

I had the skype interview with the software development manager who was incredibly friendly, I enjoyed interviewing with him, and he asked me technical questions for about an hour.

About 1.5 weeks later I was informed by the development manager that I was successful in the first interview and was required to go to London for the second interview the following week. I booked a plane ticket and off I went.

I had the second interview with the European IT Head as well as the HR Manager. The second interview was described as a soft skills interview, and I would be profiled by HR. They were also incredibly friendly and cordial, and I enjoyed the interview. I was told I would hear the outcome by the end of the following week.

After flying back home, and waiting for a response, and not hearing anything. I emailed all the people I had interviewed with to ask when I would hear an update. Within an hour of sending the update email, I received an automated declined email.

This was the only part of the process that left a bitter taste in my mouth. After knowing full well I had gone to great personal expense to attend the second interview and show my passion for the position, I did not get a single personalised response from anyone in the process. Getting a stock standard 'automated' email, shows a lack of empathy and really does go against the 'activist' ethos they try to portray. Also the timing of the declined email makes me wonder if I would have ever gotten any feedback if I hadn't of requested an update.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle stakeholder expectactions?
      Why would you like to work for Virgin?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Initial contact good, automated online system and phone screening covering experience, expectations etc. Following this, a face-to-face 'informal chat' was arranged with a Regional Director. I arrived at the wrong location, about 30 seconds form the correct office. Checked in at reception and was told to take a seat. Waited 25 minutes and then had to find out myself that I was in the wrong building despite reception knowing I was there and having called the office to inform them. Went next door, waited another 20 minutes to be seen (by this point over half an hour later than arranged). Interviewer told me what a rush he was in and that he had 10 minutes for me. Spent half of this asking me about prices at my current location as he was interested in using it. Felt he was very uninterested. Received an automated email telling me I'd been unsuccessful and no feedback as to why despite emailing the recruiter to ask for feedback (and to give my own).

Interview Questions

• Tell me your strengths and weaknesses (this was about the only question I was asked)   Answer Question

Front of House Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)) in June 2018.

Interview

I applied for the hob through their website and they contacted me within two weeks giving me an appointment for the assessment/interview
    They were friendly and helpful. What I did not like was the way the assessment was being held. They divided us into groups since we were 12 applicants and asked us to design our own gym (part one) and the present it. They also gave us the values if the company and asked us to say which value applies to us. Throughout our discussion they were observing how we discuss our ideas. This is a good activity as an ice breaker, but it’s not a fair one to assess the applicant for the position. One might not he so talkative in terms of sharing ideas and might fail the assessment. After finishing this part i was already aware that i have failed as I’m i have a very calm and shy personality while i have done admin related jobs in my previous experience. The second part was 5-7 typical job related question that they were asking each individual.
    To be fair all 12 applicants were confident and good fits for the role which made it harder for the interviewers to decide.

Front of House Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)) in June 2018.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty standard. I applied on online and then was invited to a group assessment day. Having been to a few in the past I was aware of the set up and felt prepared. There were 6 of us and we had to split into pairs where we were asked to complete a team building task of drawing a pyramid from memory, which was easy. After this we had 1 on 1 interviews and were asked pretty standard questions relating to reception/customer service.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an unhappy customer?   1 Answer
    • What is your flexibility with shift work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online via submitting an online form and offered a telephone interview. Was asked a series of questions about Virgin Active and what experience I had. I didn't get the job as my answers didn't fit the questions, so be detailed when answering. Also, don't sound nervous over the phone because the interviewer wants to hear your voice clearly as you're applying for a role where you'll be required to answer the phone.

Front of House Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

Got called in for an interview due to a referral, brought CV to interview. Interview was very easy and casual, made a few light jokes. Was asked about my skills and experience, and if I would enjoy this sort of job. Was made an offer in the interview, and started work a week or so later.

Front of House Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virgin Active in August 2017.

Interview

Group interview - we were around 10 people. We sat all together and presented ourselves, one per time. They asked some questions and after the interview they brought us around, so that we could have seen the gym.

Interview Questions

• in pairs: imagine the gym of your dreams, if you could open it... how would it be?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.