Web Applications UK Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Web Applications UK Interview Questions

3.6

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oldham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Web Applications UK (Oldham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

A recruiter sent my application over to the company and I was invited to a technical test. The test was one hour and it covered both SQL and OOP. After the one hour test, two developers came and discussed with me the answers for 2 more hours and then I was invited to the final interview with Craig Dean. This last interview was something else, Craig is a very interesting and smart person.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oldham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Web Applications UK (Oldham, England (UK)).

Interview

The process consisted of 2 interviews.
    Upon arrival I was greeted and offered a drink, I was then asked to sit a technical test which took around an hour.
    Upon completed of the test, 2 developers joined me in the interview room and had a chat about technical experience and went over my test answers with me.
    After the interview I was immediately told that I had processed to the second stage and asked to return in 2 days.

The second interview was conducted by the CEO Craig Dean.
    The whole interview was very high pressure, as if he wanted me to crack. He went over my test answers with me and only picked up on the ones that I had got wrong, he then proceeded to grill me about these.
    His reason for this was apparently to see if I could learn from what he was saying, however it seemed more like he was trying to make me feel less of a developer than him, even though I had virtually no previous experience in industry.
    Some of the conversation was very rude and arrogant.
    At the end I was offered the job The offer was largely under the national average for a software engineer, however the job was dressed up as though the training was superior and I would be lucky to work there. He gave me a very short time frame of around 5 or 6 hours to accept the job.
    I accepted the job but ended up leaving shortly afterwards for another position which paid a lot more.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was made clear that it was not negotiable

IT Systems Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oldham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Web Applications UK (Oldham, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

To put this review in context, I have been a manager for over 7 years, I've successfully ran my own business and worked with top executives from companies such as P&G, HSBC and McDonalds. I have also recruited staff and carried out scores of interviews myself. This is the first time based upon my opinion of an interviewer, that I have withdrawn from the application process as a candidate.

My first interview at Web Applications went very well and I was impressed by the premises and the two Directors that interviewed me. I was given a one hour practical exam followed by a 1hour15min chat about my experience, technical knowledge and how I'd approach the job.

I was delighted to receive a second interview with notice that it would be two days later. Unfortunately I had prior commitments and I was told there was no possibility to change the date and this was the only possible time - reluctantly I changed my plans to accommodate the second interview. I was vexed that Web Applications cancelled on me the following day with less than 24 hours notice before the interview - after I'd changed my own arrangements to my detriment the day before! I was not given a reason or apology for this and agreed to have the second interview a week later instead.

The second interview was with Craig Dean, the Chief Executive. When I first met Craig, he failed to greet me himself and did not make eye contact leaving me to force an introduction. I followed him to an office upstairs in silence whilst he read my CV along the way. The room itself was not private and my interview was conducted with a lady working on a desk immediately behind me which was distracting and unprofessional. One of the Directors from the first meeting was present.

Unfortunately my impression of the Chief Executive continued to go downhill once he started with the question and answer process, To cut to the point without making this all about a critique of the Chief Exec's personality and demeanor, my impression was sufficiently bad that I withdrew my application via the recruitment agency without waiting for the result of the interview. I was incredibly disappointed to do this, and the job itself looked fantastic on paper and very enticing from everything else that I had seen.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were across a variety of subjects including Exchange, Networking and Hyper-V.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Interview

Sent the CV and got the interview notification. The whole process is within one week.
    1. A written sheet first with a lot of SQL questions of topics of Joint table and Select.
    2. Senior developers came after 1 hrs to talk about the sheet and your experience. They are very helpful and kind.

Interview Questions

• The interview is not that difficult but it requires high-level proficiency in SQL and database to pass..   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oldham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Web Applications UK (Oldham, England (UK)).

Interview

2 stage process.

First stage was a chat with development manager and senior developer. Completed a technical test based around ASP.NET, C#. SQL etc.
    Discussed my answers with them.

Second stage was an interview with CEO. Went through the technical test again in more depth and asked many questions around it. Offer made during interview with 24 hour deadline.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was made to feel I was very lucky to recieve an offer.

1 Nov 2015 – Chief Executive

Thank you for your feedback, it does help us improve. We have a policy of asking candidates for a quick response, which we try to take the time to explain during each interview. We believe that it... More

Graduate Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Web Applications UK.

Interview

I met a couple of representatives at a graduate recruitment firm from this company, who were professional, if not overly personable. After handing over my CV and waiting for a couple of weeks, I had an invitation for interview.
    First impression of the office was very good, lovely converted mill close to the tram stop (Oldham mumps) with exposed brickwork, whiteboard paint on the walls and open plan office space (even if it was slightly crowded). Everyone I met on arrival was friendly, I was offered a drink, and even the CEO's labradors kept me company!
    At the appointed time I was taken through to an office, and placed in front of an assessment paper for an hour. The assessment was hard (I'm fairly inexperienced) but anyone who has good experience in web development (esp. C# and SQL) will do ok. After doing terribly at the paper, two employees came through, went through the paper and asked me about it. I was pleasantly surprised by how they put me at ease, looking for what I had done well rather than the things I didn't know. All in all the first interview was around 2.5hrs.

A week(ish) later, I was called back for a second interview with the CEO, and this was about an hour long. This interview was very intense, and I was fairly unimpressed by the CEO's demeanour having watched his webinar on interviews (worth a watch) and receiving no eye contact or even a cursory smile was a surprise. He proceeded to grill me quite thoroughly, mixing insightful criticism and advice with no holds barred, (NB. this criticism might be too much for some people). It ended up with me being told that I had a chance at a job, but I hadn't impressed by my lack of extra-curricular coding, and that was the reason given for my eventual lack of an offer.

In summary, it isn't the place for shrinking violets or people who don't know or challenge themselves, but if you can get through the interview process I get the impression you would be trained well. I wasn't too disappointed about not being offered a job, because I got the impression that if they didn't think I was good enough, I wasn't, and wouldn't have enjoyed working there.

Interview Questions

• 1hr exam paper covering a range of languages, methods and coding trivia.   1 Answer

1 Nov 2015 – Chief Executive

Thank you for your feedback, it does help us improve! I do a lot of interviews and every one is different and tailored to the individual. From your description you were the kind of candidate that... More

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Web Applications UK.

Interview

Sent an email to their recruitment team who responded quickly. Went for interviewand did a small technical exercise based on SQL and .net. Technical Manager went through questions and explained the right answers in a fun way. Got offered a placement with limited time to accept offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the using statement for.   2 Answers

1 Nov 2015 – Chief Executive

Thank you for your review!

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.