Arm Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.1
Arm CEO Simon Segars
Simon Segars
Pros
Cons
  • "HQ is at Cambridge so for some this may be a downside compared to living in London for example as it is much smaller(in 63 reviews)

• "Work/life balance might be tricky in some positions although may not be a problem if you enjoy what you are doing(in 25 reviews)

1. "administration manager"

I worked at Arm for more than a year

Pros

Great staff work life balance

Cons

Bad management poor communication and behaviour

Arm2019-01-19

Arm Response

February 8, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

Firstly thank you for the contribution you made to Arm whilst being with us. We are pleased you enjoyed working with your colleagues and the balance was sufficient for you. Although, the management and communications note is something I would be keen to understand a little more about. Would you be able to contact me directly to discuss further? GlassdoorFeedback@Arm.com

2. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Verification Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work Culture, Area of work

Cons

Nothing which I remember about

Advice to Management

Nothing

Arm2019-10-11

Arm Response

October 14, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

We couldn't agree more - we also think Arm is an awesome place to be :)

3. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Staff IP Verification Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai

I have been working at Arm full-time for less than a year

Pros

great benefit, the company pay is good

Cons

no , the company pay is good

Arm2019-10-11

"Great people, great culture, great working environment"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at Arm for about a year now. I've been given the opportunities needed to make significant contributions to the projects I've been involved in. Everyone in the office is friendly. The hours you are in the office are quite flexible. The building is great and is located 30 minutes from downtown Cambridge/Boston.

Cons

The Boston (Waltham) office is a bit of a satellite office (~50 employees), so that could be a downside depending on what sort of workplace you prefer. There are fewer female employees working here than I would like to expect (~15% of total).

Arm2019-07-25
  5. "Challenging work at a company that cares about its people"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Arm we have the benefit of working interesting problems and pushing to deliver into competitive markets, while in a culture that earnestly strives to invest in people and their development and happiness.

Cons

Sometimes the company still struggles with its rapid growth and can be a bit Cambridge-centric

Arm2019-10-02

"Still a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

Great benefits 4 week sabbatical every 4 years 4 weeks starting vacation, 5 weeks after 4 years 26 weeks of maternity leave, 8 weeks paternity leave Brilliant engineers that are genuinely helpful Strong advocate of Diversity and Inclusion Internal social network service allows us to be expressive Great stepping stone towards higher paying companies

Cons

BURN OUT. If you are an RTL/Verification/Performance Engineer, then you now have to balance between working on multiple projects. When I first joined, engineers talked about life outside of Arm. Now all they talk about is how busy they are with no end in sight. A team that used to do monthly team lunches completely stopped and less time is spent improving the processes when we need it more than ever. Going away... lunches for engineers who have been at Arm for 15+ years are more common than team lunches. ATTRITION. Top engineers are leaving including fellows. All of them are leaving to higher paying companies and HR and upper management said they have no plans to change our compensation because “people leave managers” and “no one mentioned compensation on their exit interview.” INNOVATION DECLINE. That feeling of starting work on a new project is gone. Projects are now just adding features on existing designs. There’s no time to rewrite things that are out of date or to revisit things that could be worth improving upon.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance is the best thing about Arm, but it's slowly being taken away. Engineers are adding more projects to their plate without an end in sight. Arm has a lot of vacation and has an accrual limit of 200 hours. I know engineers that hit their accrual limit because they're too busy. What is the point of having all this vacation if we lose it because we're too busy to take it? It's preferable to keep our... existing talent rather than being forced to constantly backfill, but Arm is doing a good job at hiring engineers, especially the New College Graduates. Consider changes to the compensation. No engineer is going to admit that money is their motivation for leaving in their exit interview because they don't want to sound greedy. Similarly, no engineer is going to admit that their work doesn't feel exciting or meaningful. Even engineers who are the best at what they do shouldn’t be forced to keep working on things they’re good at. Give them an opportunity to move internally before they look externally.

Arm2019-10-01
  7. "Great people, great culture, exciting tech and innovations!"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer

I have been working at Arm full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Culture is very positive and collaborative and there is a strong feeling of teamwork and people really wanting their peers and the company to succeed as a whole - Company REALLY cares about it's employees' well-being, work-life balance and personal development and there are plenty of perks and initiatives that ensure that every year. - Lots of innovation happening all the time so there are always plenty of... exciting, cutting edge projects to work on. It's a great opportunity to keep growing, learning and staying on top of the latest and greatest tech developments.

Cons

- The rapid growth can sometimes cause miscommunication and disruption of balance between different teams where the ratio of manager-new employee gets too high too quickly and managers are finding it hard to give all employees / projects ample care and attention. - priorities and pipelines can quickly get overcrowded with new initiatives coming from all directions as a result of the fresh influx of new employees... and managers wanting to start new initiatives and build big things

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! This has been the best company I have worked in by far in my 8-10 year career. Please, do what you can to ensure that the rapid growth doesn't dilute / change the excellent culture and balance that exists at the company right now.

Arm2019-09-30
  8. "Internship Review"

Current Employee - Internship
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Arm full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility . . . . .

Cons

Yet to explore. . . . . .

Arm2019-09-27

"Little value for people who are working here currently"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good balance, lots of vacation and flexibility.

Cons

Salary is not competitive, no stocks. Bonus is like peanuts. Other benefits are okay at best. They seem to only hire when there are layoffs in other companies (Oracle/Qualcomm/Samsung etc.). Not a good sign. Experienced folks have been leaving left, right and center. Managements solution is to hire new people. Nothing is being done to reward the people who have been here. Yes new folks are good but don't... forget the employees who made arm what it is. Vacation/flexibility is being offered by every company nowadays, not something to tout about. This is all I hear management talking about. These are no longer incentives. Don't see any growth career wise, some teams seem to be preferred over others when it comes to promotions.

Advice to Management

Do not forget about your current employees. Please do something to cut the attrition which has been happening. Reward fairly and look at the work an employee does to promote them instead of saying you need to be in this position for 3-4 years to get promoted. Would you rather prefer I take it easy for 3-4 years instead of working hard and do things better?

Arm2019-10-01
  10. "Graduate Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

1. Good culture 2. good work life balance 3. lot of learning 4. They don't show that they care for their employee(they actually care) 5. New graduate engineers get a sponsored trip to UK

Cons

1. Some projects are very overloaded 2. Food is not that great

Arm2019-09-24