Aurea Software Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.7
Aurea Software President & CEO Scott Brighton
Scott Brighton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home, opportunity to loosely define your role & career" (in 25 reviews)

• "Completely remote work, contractor based" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "No job security, frequent layoffs" (in 9 reviews)

• "No job security, No vacation, No career growth" (in 6 reviews)

"The most accurate review you will read - especially if you just got acquired."

I worked at Aurea Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, opportunity to loosely define your role & career.

Let's get one thing straight. Aurea acquires struggling software companies and makes money off of them. It is what they do and they're very good at it. They have a playbook and they run it.

Their long term plan with any company they acquire is to trim the fat, retain as many customers as they can, and ultimately sell other products into them. If your company just got acquired, this is what they're going to do. At the end of a few years, they've grown their customer base, made their money back (and more) and have new IP in the form of your company's software.

What does this mean for you? If you're in a 'non-essential' department/position, you'll likely be let go early. This isn't unfair, it's just business. If you identify yourself as a valuable resource, willing to enable their seasoned team to succeed, there is opportunity to keep your job and grow with Aurea. This is up to you. Retention bonuses exist for those who define themselves to be mission critical.

Aurea uses a global employment model, which means most everyone works from home. This can be a big plus for some. Do you want to travel while you work? Go for it - just be available for your business hours.

If you invest in Aurea, you will eventually face becoming a contractor. This is inevitable, as the owner of ESW Capital (private equity firm backing Aurea) believes this is the only way. They will adjust your pay to compensate for lack of benefits. In some cases, this can represent a pay increase for individuals.

For those working in software development roles, I understand there to be ample opportunity to work with exciting technologies and broaden your scope.

An oft-ignored benefit of working with global co-workers is the opportunity to familiarize yourself with different cultures and communication styles. This is potentially invaluable in today's ever-growing global workforce.

Aurea has everything down to a process. This can open up some bottlenecks your company previously faced.

Cons

Job security is hard to come by, reactive and detached senior leadership, no transparency from executives.

WFH can be tough for some.

WorkSmart means you're monitored all day every day. Sure, it's up to your manager whether they want to use it, but it's a privacy concern for many. It's understandable why they use it, but clearly it's not for everyone.

At no point did I feel that my job was secure until, after wave after wave of layoffs (even after promises of no more) - a retention bonus was offered. At that point, I was already looking for the door.

Many of the initiatives seem very reactive, and I found a large percentage of my day being spent on the urgent 'fires' caused when executives would get involved. This degraded my trust/faith in leadership and painted a bleak outlook for my future with Aurea.

Culture is non-existent, save for the culture you create in Slack channels or Skype.

No 401(k), no benefits.

Because everything is process-driven, sometimes there is unnecessary red tape for getting simple tasks done.

Advice to Management

Scott & Execs - Take the time to tailor your verbal & non-verbal communication to be human. Great leaders are approachable and relatable.

"Mixed feelings"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Aurea Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- working from home
    - a lot of challenges, never a dull moment
    - you can earn a lot of money

Cons

- crazy ideas regarding monitoring people through webcams, screenshots
    - they only care about margin, they do not care at all about customers, the products in their portfolio or people in the organisation
    - don't expect to be inspired by great vision from management
    - this company is full of smart people... just senior management is below average compared to other companies
    - they do not invest. They cut costs, lie to their customers, cut more costs, lie even more, until customers loose faith and the product is dead. Then they buy a new company and start all over again

Advice to Management

Care a bit more about the products, the people and the customers... there's gold in your hands but you just don't seem to realize it. Just going for the margin will break up this company at some point.

"Worst company ever"

I worked at Aurea Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work from home
    - Good payment

Cons

- You need to save money, because you can be fired at any time
    - Do not expect a manager to help you grow or be interested in your family.
    - Do not expect to control your schedule, you will have maintenance windows, meetings and oncall shifts.
    - You will have to constantly teach what you know (even if you did not learn it in Aurea) to other people, they prepare themselves if they ever want to fire you.
    - Do not expect to know the strategy of the company or its results, you will be assigned a metric (For example, number of tickets solved) and you will have to answer only for that metric.
    - You will never meet the leadership team of the company
    - There are bosses who do not know how they can have assigned people being so rude and badly educated
    - Do not expect to specialize in any particular technology, the company expects you to know everything.

"Its as bad as they say"

I worked at Aurea Software full-time

Pros

Zero follow through with action items

Cons

They only care about the bottom line, employees are not taken into consideration with any decision making. They rather make a buck than make employees feel valued. Leadership will expect quick answers but if you have a question it will go to the bottom of the barrel and never be answered. This place a joke! If I could give a zero out of 5 I would.

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Aurea Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Technical people are very passioned and I learned a lot when I was there.
    Work from home is a big advantage.

Cons

Company doesn’t care about People.
    The management look only at the margin, without a clear idea of the business.
    I left because tired and demotivated.

"Low cost compnay then low quality life"

Former Employee - C++ Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - C++ Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Aurea Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is difficult to find other Pro differente for remote work

Cons

I was contracted by the crossover portal for this company. They try to spend ALAP (as low as possible), they impose at first week to new hires the same goals that old workers.

They have serious problems with they internal infraestructure, we need to control the work using Jira and many times per week the server fail.

Advice to Management

Try to focus in the interviews to know if the candidate know what you need.

7. "If you are a professional, this company works great for you"

Current Employee - Vice President SaaS Operations in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President SaaS Operations in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Aurea Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Newest technologies, fast growth, plenty of exposure to various products, great opportunities for learning, unique productivity and management techniques, you define your own schedule

Cons

Too much stress, tough internal competition, not always fair compensation, too many hasty/ reckless decision, very limited job security, very tough on low performers

"High micromanagement and unnecessary pressure to attain certain delivery points every week."

Former Employee - Chief Software Architect
    Former Employee - Chief Software Architect

I worked at Aurea Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary specially for those living in lower paying countries
    On time salary delivery and very rare delays..mostly not from company

Cons

Strict policy to achieve new targets without even taking consideration of problems nature.
    Older technologies and no intention to upgrade them but management keep asking to push new features with getting details of technical limitations
    No leaves . no bonus ..no benefits
    Tight micro-management and high stress level ..usually asking to put 8 hours but in reality it takes 12+ hours daily to finish the work.
    Less than 6 hours a day are considered as zero time.

Advice to Management

Look few people in middle management making company culture not as good as it was in the earlier days.

"The best company for those who work from home"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Iaşi (Romania)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Iaşi (Romania)

I have been working at Aurea Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You can work from home;
    - Full time, very dynamic schedule;
    - A lot of talents to learn from;
    - Decent salary;
    - I'm in a team with a great manager and professional.

Cons

- I'm working for 2 years. Have seen different managers. Not all of them are good leaders;
    - I was fired once, and it was very frustrating and humiliating. Without prior notice, just found my access revoked. I hope the attitude is going to change.
    - There are teams where the workers are afraid to be fired. This is stressful, all day long, 5 days per week.
    - Metrics driven performance monitoring. I mean, people are evaluated by how many cases they solve.

Advice to Management

If you adopt the factory principle to software development, keep in mind that Henry Ford, the father of this principle, was paying the engineers that maintained the assembly line for the hours the assembly line was working, not for the time they were fixing it. Sometimes, the performance of the worker may be measured not by how many issues they fix, but by how few issues are opened. The principle of evaluating people by the cases they fix doesn't motivate people to fix definitely the problems, instead, it motivates them to keep the problematic system, so they will have the sufficient number of cases to solve, and will appear as best performers in your statistics.
    Also, if the system stabilizes and there are less issues, people are afraid of being released, and this fear motivates them to not make the systems stable. Instead, you can reward teams that provided permanent fixes, or have better uptime and less issues. Eventually, you can move the people to other teams, and not just fire them.

"Unique model"

Current Employee - SaaS Ops Software Engineering Manager in Timişoara (Romania)
    Current Employee - SaaS Ops Software Engineering Manager in Timişoara (Romania)

I have been working at Aurea Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of a kind model. Completely remote work, contractor based. I've been working here for almost 7 years now so I can confirm that if you like this model and are very eager to be productive, the length of the employment can be for years in a row, even though it's contractor based. The company is very fast growing and the compensation very good for someone outside US at least. Way above what you could get on the local market.

Cons

Work-life balance isn't too balanced I'd say. Involvement and dedication is needed every step of the way.

Advice to Management

Try to retain more and more contractors long term.