Automattic Reviews

Updated 6 May 2021

4.5
Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg
Matt Mullenweg
Pros
  • "The flexibility and autonomy offered is wonderful for achieving a work-life balance optimal for your life(in 8 reviews)

• "Working from home with your home office setup, a lot of benefits, unlimited vacation time(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not so much a con, but rather a word of caution: remote work is not for everyone(in 7 reviews)

• "had some doubts about my future and/or motivation for Automattic and working from home, since the job that I ended up with was a bit boring(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "The Transparency and Openness is unlike any other company."

Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Automattic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unlike other companies where onboarding is often an afterthought, there has been a lot of thought put into how to get new employees acclimated to automatic. The team here, gets that it sometimes feels like you are drinking from the fire hose, so there they have put in nice cadence to send information to you, so you aren't overloaded in the beginning.

Cons

You really need to be a self-starter to work here. If you are use to sitting around and having someone to tell you want to do, this probably won't work for you.

Continue reading
  2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Happiness Engineer

I have been working at Automattic full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is fully remote and allows you flexibility to schedule your own hours so there is plenty of autonomy. But there is plenty of support and you don't feel isolated. It can feel overwhelming at first but there are plenty of resources and lots of help available.

Cons

Not really a con but there is a lot to learn, a lot going on at any one time, and change happens constantly so it might not be a great fit for everyone.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Code Wrangler in Warsaw

I have been working at Automattic full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Treats you like an adult. No timesheets, unlimited vacation, freedom to work on internal side projects, etc. - Transparent. Almost everything is discussed in the open. - Encourages writing. - Text only interview. - Truly distributed. In other American companies you're usually bombarded with American politics, and at least occasionally work on SF timezone, etc.. Here I feel like I almost work for a local company. - Great hardware and software.

Cons

- The codebase is massive, and we have incredible technical debt. - It's a bit hard to make a difference as an individual contributor. - You feel replaceable. In Automattic, everything is shared between teammates, it often happens when you leave your pull-request halfway, and someone else takes over without any issues. This is awesome, but also means if you disappear, really not much will change. This is more on the upside most of the time, but sometimes you crave some ownership.

4. "Amazing place to work with amazing people"

Current Employee - Happiness Engineer in Viseu

I have been working at Automattic full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can see several paths for growth. I feel that the company put a lot of value on me as an individual. I love that Automattic cares about bringing a better work experience for me every day. I love all their contributions to the open-source and WordPress communities. I feel that I have a lot of flexibility when it comes to my working hours. My team lead is really nice and one of the best that I ever had in my professional life. Everyone that I work with is amazing and inspiring. I have a perception that I became a better person after joining Automattic.

Cons

Of course there are things that Automattic can get better, but I really don't see something relevant to bring up. Maybe more and better benefits for International Contractors.

"Amazing place to work at"

Current Employee - Happiness Engineer in Jakarta

I have been working at Automattic full-time

Pros

- Efficient hiring process, although it's through several stages that require patience and determination - Open holiday policy, just take days off as you need it! Never worked for any company that offers that before - A lot of opportunity for growth - Great facilities (new shiny computer, budget for things that support your best work) - Supportive co-worker, team lead, company as whole

Cons

- There is lot of information to digest within the company, but you should be able to manage by subscribing to things that matter to your core work

6. "Excellent company for remote work and a balanced life"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Auckland, Auckland

I have been working at Automattic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Remote work with excellent tools to keep connected, great salaries, high level of trust in individual employees, great benefits, and encouragement to maintain healthy work-life balance

Cons

Career progression can be hard to see in the short-term

7. "Fully distributed, global, inclusive"

Current Employee - Principal Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Automattic full-time

Pros

If you’re ambitious, energetic, and driven by a passion to help people, you can make a visible, profound, and lasting difference here. We help people express themselves and earn a living, regardless of who they are and where they live.

Cons

Remote work is not for everybody. Also, Automatticians value impact—their ability to make a difference—over money. This isn’t necessarily the place to earn your highest possible salary, but it is a great place to add true value and human values to tech.

"Highly refined and welcoming culture providing opportunity to find your best role"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Automattic full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is readily apparent the company has invested a lot of effort in to building a great, supportive, remote work culture. The flexibility and autonomy offered is wonderful for achieving a work-life balance optimal for your life. The benefits are awesome. The compensation is fair and there appears to be opportunity for growth professionally.

Cons

Adapting to and succeeding in a remote company can be challenging, if you are not accustom to it or desire a high-level of autonomy and responsibility.

9. "Amazing community"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior JavaScript Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Automattic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work culture, employee wellness is priority, opportunities to learn and move within the company, great time off benefit that you can actually use, fully remote.

Cons

Distributed teams can lead to awkward meeting times, often not easy to find person or team responsible for some project.

Continue reading
  10. "It doesn't get better than this."

Current Employee - Happiness Engineer

I have been working at Automattic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Remote work, Excellent peer support system, great salary, You're in control of your time.

Cons

You can get lost quickly if you don't know how to plan.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 104 Reviews