Automattic Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.8
Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg
Matt Mullenweg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Supportive Company, Great People"

I have been working at Automattic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are smart, engaged in their jobs, and eager to learn and share knowledge. Everyone supports and encourages each other.

Working at home and making your own hours is invaluable to me; and the benefits are great.

The job is interesting and you are constantly learning.

The hiring process is intense, but the atmosphere is casual and supportive.

Cons

None, unless you don't handle change well, because there is always something new and the pace is fast.

Advice to Management

Thanks for your support!

2. "Great mission, smart people, wonderful culture"

I have been working at Automattic full-time

Pros

- A meaningful mission that everyone is aligned with and excited about
    - More diverse opinions/backgrounds than you find at most tech companies
    - Fun, exciting challenges to tackle in each and every team–huge impact
    - Extremely transparent about everything internally, a culture of trust
    - Distributed/remote culture is great, fun travel involved for the job
    - Benefits are strong (can only speak as a US employee), compensation solid

Cons

- Sometimes miss the office work enviornment...sometimes ;)
    - Great for those with focus and self-discipline, challenging for those without
    - Decision-making is transparent but sometimes we could prioritize better

"The future of work"

I have been working at Automattic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of working from home is a tremendous benefit of working at Automattic, I think that it has provided an immeasurable improvement in the quality of life that my family and I now enjoy.
    I want to also note that as a data scientist, the dedication to developing a solid infrastructure for analytics has been a great factor in my productivity. I have observed that the company is dedicated to an increasingly data-informed approach.
    I have observed also that the company has made a commitment to inclusion -- it is by no means perfect but in these times the ability to encourage feedback and to act upon it the best starting point possible.
    I have also witnessed the active promotion of women to positions of technical leadership within the company.

Cons

- I would encourage a shorter interview process. There are many that are discouraged by the length and it is also exclusionary to those who can't afford to devote a lot of time and resources to the effort.

"Great benefits, frustrating hierarchy"

I worked at Automattic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits, flexible vacation/sick policy, some absolutely brilliant and kind coworkers doing wonderful things.

Cons

There is no hierarchy or room to advance. This is okay if you want to be a Happiness Engineer or a team lead forever. Otherwise, you'll start feeling like you have nowhere to go and no ways to develop after a while. This is especially frustrating for marketing and editorial people who want to do more things that Automattic, for some reason, insists on outsourcing to freelancers.

Also, let's talk about Matt. Matt pops into random projects, states his opinion, and tends to derail all the work. This is rarely useful. It can also frankly be insulting when he's speaking to people with specialized experience with fields he hasn't worked in. Yes, Automattic is his company, and it's his right to run it as he wishes, but it's incredibly frustrating to feel like your work can be swept away with a single comment from someone who has admitted to you on more than one occasion that they "don't really know what you are doing."

Advice to Management

Stop letting Matt do everything, like you did for hiring. Listen to what you're being told.

"Mobile Wrangler"

Current Employee - Mobile Wrangler in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Mobile Wrangler in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Automattic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best Company I ever worked! Working from home with your home office setup, a lot of benefits, unlimited vacation time. Lots of opportunities to work on projects across the company and expand your impact outside of your direct role. But most important is the people are smart, friendly, supportive and kind. I worked in different environments, startups, big companies, agencies, but Automattic is definitely the best.

Cons

For the first time nothing to write.

"Love My Job!"

Current Employee - Payroll Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Payroll Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Automattic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome Company! 100% remote, home office setup, top-notch medical benefits (100% employer paid), smart/kind people, travel opportunity, unlimited vacation time, sabbatical after 5 years. Most important, the people here are smart, friendly, supportive and progressive. I have worked for two other stellar companies and Automattic is definitely giving both of them a run for the money. If you see a job you are interested in and qualified for, definitely apply! Overall an excellent place to work!

Cons

Great company, no cons to share.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing because you are doing it right.

"Happy Automattician"

Current Employee - Marketing Designer
    Current Employee - Marketing Designer

I have been working at Automattic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An unmatched opportunity to grow and learn as a contributor and leader. Coming from a traditional ad agency background I didn't know what to expect working as an in-house creative, but after a few months of an adjustment period, I couldn't be more happier with my choice. The benefits, work/life balance, the ability to do meaningful work are on a different level. Another amazing benefit I can see after my first few months at Automattic is company's dedicated focus on nurturing and supporting the (creative) talent. It took me a few months to let go of my agency bred insecurities and trust issues to relax and enjoy these personal and professional growth opportunities.

Cons

Adjusting to the remote work can be a challenge, it will require you to question and readjust your previously established work and social habits. Automattic is a company of senior-level contributors, it will take an extra effort to gain personal confidence in your work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and fight hard to sustain the transparency you established

"Awesome, mission-driven place to work"

Current Employee - Happiness Engineer Team Lead in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Happiness Engineer Team Lead in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Automattic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership is very supportive of continued professional growth. There are plenty of opportunities to pursue learning through conferences, online courses, and/or books.

The compensation and benefits are unlike any other.

We communicate through p2, not through email. That's a breath of fresh air!

The culture is open and honest so there are opportunities to get real feedback on your work and improve.

You get the satisfaction of working on a big mission - make the web a better place and democratize publishing online. It's really gratifying to hear from our users about how WordPress.com/Automattic has helped them to share their thoughts online or start a business.

Oh, and the remote working aspect is really awesome. I can't imagine working any other way 😃

Cons

The company has grown substantially since I first joined. With that, we've worked hard to improve how we handle communication and team member recognition. We're continuing to work on both of those areas. Not a "con" per se, but just an area we're working at actively!

9. "Happiness Engineer"

Current Employee - Happiness Engineer

I have been working at Automattic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, amazing co-workers, amazing benefits, a really good salary, relative flexibility, transparency within the company.

Cons

I think the only thing is career opportunities within the company that are not very clear, at least for HEs

"Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Product Designer
    Current Employee - Product Designer

I have been working at Automattic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the first time in my life, I can say that I have found a company that truly cares for its employees. Great benefits, health insurance coverage, retirement plan.

Cons

Company stopped giving stock options at least two years ago.