Avvo Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.2
Avvo General Manager Jason Moss
Jason Moss

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance, the phone lines are open for the sales team from 6am to 6pm, so it really is fine for most lifestyles" (in 10 reviews)

• "Potential to make great money, some attorneys have a lot to spend" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "I would say the biggest con to the sales floor is" (in 9 reviews)

• "Your sales team lead will fight tooth and nail to do everything they can and are amazing" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Recent Decisions"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Avvo recently made it clear that honest and ethical sales reps will always be chosen over unscrupulous opportunists who are trying to grab as much as they can for themselves - no matter how high those unscrupulous reps’ numbers are. The sales department is a team, and it feels great to work on a team that encourages consideration for each other. Go Avvo!
    Avvo management continues to make the courageous decision to maintain a sales floor that is free from unethical and dishonest behavior. I applaud this courage, and I benefit every day from it; our sales culture is super great. The Avvo sales office is a great place to work in part because fairness, honesty, and transparency are emphasized.

Cons

If you are a go-getter, you have to start work at 6am in order to compete. And our health insurance is going to downgrade in 2019 – that might be a deal-breaker for me and others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Keep the channels of communication open, and this will continue to be a great place to work. I applaud 99% of your recent decisions.

"So you really want to know how I feel..."

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Avvo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As today marks my last day at Avvo, I can't help but be incredibly thankful for the experience. I met, and made friends for life. The sales floor is extremely competitive, hence I'm sure I made enemies as well.
    If you have ever bought a car, and wondered "how fast can my brand new car go?"
    You would need the right facility, race track, etc... to really test your curiosity.
    I've been in sales for a long time, but I could never realize my full potential...until now. I believe I've ran a true test at Avvo.
    Avvo provides you with a structured environment, and plenty of sales rules in place to measure your starting point... your progress... and ultimately where you finish.
    From time to time, I'll look up what sales people are posting about Avvo's compensation, quality of work, etc on Glassdoor.
    Look... whether you're looking to purchase your 1st house, an investment property, a pickup truck, a boat, a Ferrari ... they are all possible at Avvo.
    Don't be persuaded by graphs, or what people posted regarding their limitations.
    From my experience, my income at Avvo was limitless and your's should be as well.
    To my friends that are interested in working at Avvo... it's all thumbs up from me.
    To my friends that remain, I will miss each and everyone of you.
    I was once told Glassdoor prohibits names... hence this is taking me a lot of time to type up, go back delete, and retype my original message.
    I have A.D.D. so this is taking me for freaking forever...
    I leave with my best month ever... I'm a numbers guy. 19 work days this September, and I only worked 11 of them... and yet my best month ever.
    That only tells me the best is yet to come at Avvo.
    If you're a heavy hitter, you want to measure up against the best, and you have aspirations to spend a lot of money... or save a lot of money, look to Avvo.
    Good luck.

Cons

It's a major pay cut to go from a top sales account executive to management.
    Hence, if you're not willing to take a steep pay cut... you will have to endure the grind and remain an account executive... forever. It can get boring, and monotonous. You may even lose focus and do something you normally wouldn't. Trust me... been there, done that. Again, I have A.D.D. Anything is possible.
    My biggest gripe during my time at Avvo concerning career advancement... there really isn't one.
    At least for me, personally, it just seemed like there was nothing more for me.

Advice to Management

Prior to Avvo, I worked on a sales floor where they randomly double comped all deals sold one day out of each month. No one would know what day of the month this would take place... except for the VP. So it kept everyone on their heels, and for the most part, people were very apprehensive about calling out sick.
    I've watched our attendance go South... it doesn't seem like people want to be there, and the fun of Avvo has left the building.
    One thing that will cause sales people to react quickly is CASH. Cash is king.
    I'm sure with me gone, it's a lot less commission to pay out each month. The budget should be open for double comping... just saying.
    Pick one day out of the month to double comp all sales sold that day.
    I'm 100% confident the attendance will pick back up.
    Allow the floor to play music.
    Get away from this library type atmosphere. Bring some excitement back.
    If you're a manager, and you think for a moment, "am I boring?" - you are. If you thought even for a moment that you're boring... you're part of the problem. Pump up your team. Shave your head... do something and be responsible for the lack of fun. Get rid of the blitz lights.
    Thanks Avvo. Best of luck.

12 Oct 2018 – Avvo

Thank you for sharing about your experience on the sales team. We appreciate your contributions to Team Avvo and wish you the best in the future.

"Don't come work here."

Pros

Great location and office. An ORCA card is provided and we get free snacks, drinks, etc. Health benefits, which remain from prior to our acquisition, are excellent. There are some wonderful people in this organization, even six months after the acquisition. The product itself, for now, remains a market leader.

Cons

I've been at Avvo for a while, so I got to experience the way things were for a while before the acquisition, and I can compare that to the way they are now. It's super depressing. A vibrant company has been gutted.

Avvo used to be defined by the best and brightest, with many forward-thinking professionals across the org. Our product and teams were incredible, with skilled content strategists and UX researchers informing the continued, consumer-centric development of our core platform. But that was before we got bought by a company who doesn't even know what a content strategist is.

About 15% of the company was laid off in March, when IB took over. Many of the original senior leadership team, including founder and former CEO Mark Britton, also resigned at this time. The resignations haven't stopped, though. There is a mass exodus happening here, and each week brings one or two more departures from the best and brightest left among us.

Several key departures quit without even having another job lined up! People would literally rather stay home than come to work here and collect a paycheck. And why would any of them stay? Internet Brands is dead inside.

We have been told that we do not hire the top candidates for jobs, only second-tier and third-tier options. We now offer third-tier salaries. The best and brightest no longer apply here, and they are no longer likely to be hired. Some positions have remained unfilled for extended periods.

Product and engineering decisions are no longer made based consumer needs. Instead, these magically appear as top-down directives, with little correlation to solving actual consumer and user problems. We're forced to prioritize projects that don't make sense because IB's CEO thinks they are a good idea.

There appears to be no overall direction. Expectations and KPIs for many teams remain unclear. Strategy is a moving target. Research and user feedback are ignored or deprioritized. Key initiatives appear to serve no legitimate business function. No one seems to report to anyone, no one has a clear job description, and no one seems to takes responsibility for anything.

It's sad, it's embarrassing, and it's painful to watch the people around me suffer as this place burns down around them. Avvo built an amazing product, and it is being abandoned.

There is no future for anyone who comes to work here.

Advice to Management

There's no reason to give advice to Internet Brands management. They simply do not care. If you're the type of person who also doesn't care, and who just wants to show up and collect a paycheck, you might be a fit at the 2018 version of Avvo. Internet Brands will be happy to pay you 2/3 of your market value in order to do little more than keep the lights on.

22 Oct 2018 – Avvo

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed account of your experience before departing. It is not the experience we strive for post acquisition. It is true that Avvo is changing from a mature... More

"Avvo's (IB) only concern is REVENUE, not to help CONSUMERS after acquisition"

I worked at Avvo full-time

Pros

*Still have some great employees who care about consumers (but it is rapidly decreasing)

Cons

* No longer can say that transparency is important to the company
    * Parent company (IB) doesn't care about the employees and company morale has decreased significantly since March 2018
    * IB only cares about how much money Avvo is able to generate
    * There is a lack of support from IB in terms of helping the different departments at Avvo succeed
    * Departments at IB do not communicate well with each other, which makes it harder for departments at Avvo to do their job

Advice to Management

* Fix the things that are broken with the product instead of worrying only about the amount of sales the Sales Departments are making
    * Listen to your employees concerns
    * If IB plans on absorbing Avvo into one of the other legal branches that IB owns.. let the employees at Avvo know instead of surprising them with another reduction in force that they claim they aren't going to do
    *If you want to retain the remaining talent at Avvo, changes need to be made. It's typically a good indicator that some things are broken when employees in EVERY department are leaving. Especially your new leadership team.

19 Oct 2018 – Avvo

Thank you for expressing your concerns. The consumer experience is very important to Avvo, and we recognize the need to constantly improve our products for all of our audiences. Our employees also... More

"Sales teams are amazing, Upper Management not so much."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Avvo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Start-up atmosphere, collaborative teams, snacks, kegs on tap, ambiguity to do your own thing as long as it is successful, ability to shine and stand out from your peers. Culture is insanely positive, some game theory going on from the VP of Sales, everyone is available to talk to, and you can always pop in for a quick 5-10min meeting when you need some help.

Cons

Just got bought out, a lot of management abandoned ship. Your sales team lead will fight tooth and nail to do everything they can and are amazing. However, upper management will shoot them down 99% of the time because "we put in a ticket but it is low priority" and thus the bug causing half your attorneys to cancel will never get fixed.

Advice to Management

Listen to your top performers. When we have good ideas, it is for a reason. When we tell you something is broken and we lose a 10k/month client because of it, don't tell us "someone will fix it soon" when a year later the same issues are there.

6. "If you work, you make money"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Team leaders are all really strong and willing to help develop your sales ability
    - Culture among the sales reps is amazing. Strong support, particularly for struggling reps
    - If you are willing to learn the product, put the work in and have the drive to succeed you can make great money

Cons

- Turnover in the dev/engineering team has led to a few issues
    - Better communication between the software team and sales floor
    - Mark Britton is gone :(

Advice to Management

Try not to change the culture. We’ve fostered a great team on the acquisition side and the results are always there

7. "Great company"

Pros

snacks
    good people
    lots of room to grow

Cons

lots of changes but change is good.

8. "The experience is amazing. The people are awesome and the managers want nothing more than for you to succeed."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales training & culture. Sales managers are very helpful and everyone is on the same page. I throughly enjoy going to work every day

Cons

401k match could be higher

"run away"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Avvo full-time

Pros

vestiges of the great company avvo was are still there but fading fast

Cons

internet brands bought avvo this year. read other developer glassdoor reviews since march and see out webmd reviews for an idea as to how that has gone. IB has done their usual and turned the product into a useless scam so customers hate using it and developers have turned off. even if this is all okay to you, you're career has nowhere to go since there's some really backward thinking as to promotions. they'd rather you quit so they can outsource you.

Advice to Management

i won't bother to give any IB does not care.

12 Oct 2018 – Avvo

We’re disappointed to hear about your experience and appreciate you took the time to share your perspective. We value our team members, and look for ways to reward employees’ talents and... More

"Used to be great but now it's just okay"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved Avvo and had an amazing run as a sales person person. I used to be so happy at this job because I was learning, the company was hiring like crazy which is how I got this job to begin with.

The company listened to it's employees and they had such a purpose driven plan and mission statement. If there was a problem the managers fixed it and people were frequently promoted from within.

We had meetings and the company would share lots of information on it's financials which was great for transparency.

My accomplishments and contributions were noted and valued by management and I was given raises for high performance.

I looked forward to Monday and enjoyed going to work. The days just flew by.

Cons

Toxic and difficult work environment, the culture is sick on the sales floor and morale is at an all time low, which is the leader of employee burnout, fatigue, depression and downright illness. Over the long term this job has been so stressful to me that the chronic stress wrecked havoc on my overall well being, leading to a anxiety and counseling. If you do well here people will tear you down and managers will lie to save themselves before they saved their own mother's. Bullying, harassment, hostility, lies, drinking/drugs on the job and gas lighting, company is not a fun or safe place to be (employees and managers have been fired for this type of toxic behavior, Google the sexual harassment claim against Avvo, yes it's true, I witnessed it), the gossip on the sales floor is out of control and at least one Harvard study found toxic behaviors like engaging in negative gossip ends up hurting the business’s bottom line because so many people quit costing the company money.

Unfulfilled and unchallenged at work, it is no fun (it used to be super fun) and it is very mundane now. Lack of transparency with employees about the Internet Brands takeover and changes that affected our jobs, sales commission, lots of employee turnover, there’s hardly any clear communication about objectives up and down the hierarchy at Avvo within the sales org, and it’s almost impossible for a mutually respectful, trusting relationship to flourish because of it, and the constantly changing sales leadership created a lack of direction and contributed to instability on the sales floor turnover, management says one thing and always does another, bait and switch to find ways to reduce your commission, always trying to show growth to save their jobs with graphs and charts instead of driving purpose driven results for the sales org which is the #1 driver of revenue for the company so they instead manipulate the numbers to make things look better than they are.

Overworked employees, Google the Avvo wage and hour lawsuit... Very inconsistent employee rule book, selective treatment of employees, and lack of basic fairness, management will write you up for the same behavior other employees engage in to manage you out of the business. Also, there is hardly any growth as an employee, it is very political who promotions are offered to, when person A gets scolded for the same behavior that gets person B promoted, it feels like there’s no clear rubric for advancement, and it creates a sense of favoritism among employees, also discrimination and unconscious bias against Asian and black employees which promptly started an investigation and contributed to the firing of executive level sales leadership for bizarre and racist behavior, and ethnic diversity at Avvo is almost non existent which is sad because it used to be diverse ethnically.

Lowered income because sales commission is way down (by more than 50%) for top performance and there is very low productivity compared to before the company was sold out to internet brands. Entire sales floor is looking for other opportunities.

No growth and broken promises from sales leadership. The products don't work anymore. Our bread and butter product is advertising and attorneys don't like Avvo products or services because of the poor company practices and low results from our advertising. Internally, inefficient/ineffective account management who are quick to cancel your sales when the sales can easily be saved, which results in a charge back for the sales person making it very hard to get paid nowadays because the product doesn't work. If you go to Twitter and search Avvo, you will see attorneys constantly complaining because the product doesn't work, this is very unfulfilling work, all you do is dial attorneys who say they are not interested in advertising (they used to love advertising before the company was sold).

Unfairness is rampant at Avvo. I currently work here and have for a long time but I have always been having a bad feeling in my gut about staying here because of how I've been treated so unfairly. You always have a choice to how you respond but be aware that management might retaliate (even though they say they won't because it's against the law to) they will find a way to wrongly manage you out of the business within the law even if they have to lie, which is a very underhanded practice. The attitude of management will drain the life out of you.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and the way you want to be treated. It's the golden rule. Not doing this cost you nearly all of you top tier talent because they all quit or want to quit but haven't yet. I didn't like how you treated me. Start listening to your employees.

Reward different sales people for different accomplishments, instead of just rewarding the same people every month for the same exact thing, switch it up so everyone has a shot at winning. I felt rewarded for the things I did here but I don't feel like management truly rewarded other sales people for same opportunities they gave to a certain few sales people. Also, stop punishing people for taking vacation or having a baby. We should be able to relax and enjoy our time off without worrying about losing our job security. Give us the time we need to be with family so we have balance and can recharge from our increasingly difficult sales job.

I was not given adequate training on how to do my job and when I hit the sales floor my manager blamed me for things I didn't know. It was sink or swim and luckily I swam very well but the sales floor is a shark tank. It's every man for himself basically. Management tend to be useless and blame you for lack of performance when they just aren't good at managing people or a sales team. Invest in managers who know the product and have onboarding training. You have hired too many managers who got fired or quit because they didn't know what they were doing. It's almost laughable some of the people you hired as managers in the past.

I saw opportunities for promotion in the sales org that were given to people who didn't live up to their sales roles. I was not given a chance to be promoted even though I had plenty of endorsements from management. The unconscious bias towards ethnic groups at Avvo is clearly a factor in holding people back which caused one vp of sales to be fired for unbecoming conduct. Start promoting more people of color in leadership roles in the sales org.

The morale of fellow employees is horrible. People tell me they are depressed and looking forward to leaving. Some people left in tears. All the top producers, like myself, are very unhappy. And most of the top talent left. Stop messing with the products, all the recent changes back fired and hurt sales.

The workload is very high and management makes it hard to do our jobs in the sales org because they are always moving the goal post. They took away or don't provide the same tools we used to have to make sales. This job is mostly just about leaving voicemails all day and hopefully hearing something back. Invest in some useful prospecting sales tools to make our jobs easier.

What could be done to make this a better place to work is for management to stop responding to honest feedback defensively. Ask questions and don't act like you know everything. Be more accountable in your actions so you don't create double standards. Promote more people internally and provide authentic opportunities for growth instead of silly leadership development programs that take lots of hours away from making sales and being on the phones which makes our jobs harder and doesn't improve our chances of getting anywhere in our careers.

12 Oct 2018 – Avvo

Although this is not the experience we’d want for anyone, we appreciate your candor and time you took to share your perspective. There have been changes and growing pains -- as there often are when... More