Avvo Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.5
Avvo Founder and CEO Mark Britton
Mark Britton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance, the phone lines are open for the sales team from 6am to 6pm, so it really is fine for most lifestyles (in 10 reviews)

• I've done so much better in commission than I hoped for because I'm hungry and want to make money (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say the biggest con to the sales floor is (in 7 reviews)

• The sales team not being able to sell new claimed attorneys right off the bat (in 6 reviews)

"Turn and Burn"

Pros

Great Location and food available

Cons

Thick drama in the workplace

Advice to Management

get it together

"Fantastic culture, engaging work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The cultural growth of Avvo over the past year to a mentoring and learning organization has benefited everyone. People care about each other and the work they do. We get to work with cool new technologies, but also focus on delivering value to our customers.

Cons

There's a lot of legacy code (company is over 10 years old), and nearly all the developers that wrote it have left the company. There's a lot of time spent talking about maybe how to make it better, but not a lot of movement.

If you screw up your salary negotiation, your only chance to make a significant increase is to find a new job.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring more developers! There are probably some meta reasons why are not moving faster, but have more software engineers will definitely help. And focus on our infrastructure team too - we should continue to grow.

Pay engineers what they're worth, especially the good ones you want to keep.

"Compassionate Company Helping Ambitious People Succeed"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While I believe Avvo is a great place to work for everyone, including marketing, IT, engineering, HR, and finance, my review will focus on the sales floor.
    There are two sales teams: the acquisition team (executives who call non-adverting attorneys) and the management team (the ad managers who manage existing advertiser portfolios and increase the amount of advertising existing advertisers have).

1. Work life balance, the phone lines are open for the sales team from 6am to 6pm, so it really is fine for most lifestyles.
    2. Dog friendly! The dogs are a lot of fun and bringing a dog to work isn't nearly the distraction I expected it to be and my dog also behaves better because he's better socialized and being stimulated instead of sitting at home for hours a day.
    3. Snacks and coffee. The snacks are pretty good. While we don't have free lunch on a daily basis, snacks abound (ranging from cheese, fruits, chocolates, chips, crackers, et al), beverages (talking rain, Costco vitamin water, Coke products, milks (including a non-dairy) and of course a local coffee).
    4. The 14th floor is where everyone congregates and we have free unlimited beer, wine, and cider (usually) available every day. As we expand, I love the company's desire and willingness to have us have unfettered access after 3:30-4ish (the taps are locked during the day). While some folks may think this is a prime opportunity for employees to abuse the system, think about it. We have great or tough days at work and go to 14 and have a beer and unwind with other folks. Whether it's one-on-one or a group of people, we inevitably always get wrapped up in a conversation about a sales call and what went well and what didn't and I learn from my colleagues and we share stories over a beer.
    5. The healthcare is amazing. I worked in banking for ten years and I can tell you the Avvo healthcare is the best. Zero costs to you regarding a premium, and also your individual annual out of pocket expense is 3k, but Avvo reimburses you for the first 1k per annum. What does that mean? You can actually go to a doctor and pay a $20 co-pay and you won't receive a bill later in the mail for more money... unless you spend over 1k per year of your Healthcare Reimbursement Account (HRA).
    6. ORCA PASS! I was never a commuter before, but Avvo gives you an unlimited free ORCA pass that can be used on any regional bus system (as far away as Pierce and Kitsap), water taxies, trains, light rail, street car, and state ferries (if it's a part of your commute). Free. Free never tasted so good. It also has just made me less dependent on my car, saving me money that way.
    7. The base pay is decent. The sales floor base pay enough to pay your bills and not starve. My base pay was within 5k of what I made on an annual basis in banking without commission. You will reliably have money to pay your bills even in slow months of sales.
    8. No cap commission, great commission plan. It isn't perfect and can sometimes feel unfair but when a standard is set and you have 60-100 folks playing by the same rules, it's not anything personal against you specifically. I've done so much better in commission than I hoped for because I'm hungry and want to make money.
    9. Monthly outings with your team. So you may have 60-100 folks on your whole team, but you'll be divided into a team of 10 or so. These are the people ride and die with and Avvo gives each team a couple hundred dollars each month to go out and spend it on anything--movies, happy hour, lunch, laser tag, literally whatever the team wants to do that month. We've had dinner and drinks at a coworker's house and she used the budget to buy ingredients and cook for us, we also had an amazing catered waffle breakfast, you get kinda creative but it's super fun.
    10. THE MANAGEMENT TEAM IS COLLECTIVELY 50% FEMALE as of Q4 2017 with an industry standard about half that. I'm very proud of my company for this achievement. The entire team cares deeply about the company's success and it shows.
    11. The Account Management position is largely what you make of it. You'll manage 300-500 attorneys advertising campaigns, ranging from $100 per month subscriptions to multi-thousand dollar monthly subscriptions. You will be assigned a specific region of the country. Like previously stated, this is largely what you make of it because you can get to know regions of the country very well and you learn what markets are lucrative and what types of legal practice areas sell the best.
    12. The stability. Avvo is an old start up at ten years old. It's really getting itself into a corporate rhythm making it a legitimate tech company and not a start-up, where you may be concerned about company acquisition and business continuity, Avvo is not going anywhere.

Cons

1. While we have unfettered afternoon access to the beer and wine taps, there are frequently tech meet up events on 14. I love it and welcome them, but the facilities team isolates the sales team by requesting non-tech folks leave these meet ups. Why can't we stay?
    2. Invest more in the Tableau server so I can do better at my job. Detriment to productivity is the fact Tableau reports will routinely reset themselves and are slow to load, so it could take 5 minutes to run a sophisticated market analysis for an attorney and then it resets itself. Frustrating!
    3. More name recognition. I've been seeing the Avvo ads on buses around Seattle, but I want to see them in major and mid-sized regions all over the country, or more digital advertising, something, anything.
    4. More non-tech meet ups for staff. As indicated, it's frustrating we get kicked out like we don't belong there despite being the part of the company that drives revenue. There have been talks about starting a Veterans group (and allies) and a LGBT group (and allies). Why not reserve 14 for groups like these?

Advice to Management

I am full of opinions, which I gave in the Cons section. Thank you. My manager and her boss all clearly care about me, my well being, and my success. Nothing is perfect, but I know Avvo strives to take feedback and run with it.

"Useless Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. I guess Free soda!?!?

Cons

Pay is terrible. Management is terrible. The head of my department is passive aggressive, and makes employees feel terrible about themselves. Our CEO hides the truth about the direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Replace all the management team. Especially directors and vps.

5 Feb 2018

“Thank you for taking the time to provide your input here. It’s incredibly disappointing to see such harsh feedback, as every manager here does their best to make this a rewarding place to work. We’d... More

"Great Team"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager

I worked at Avvo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company gave me a great amount of opportunity. It has great benefits and really good people. The AM organization allowed for growth and freedom to make decisions that helped you think critically about how to do your job better at first. You had the ability to make money if you worked hard and pushed yourself. What really made Avvo great though were all of the people. Great team environment. Everybody supports you on your team. Avvo when I started allowed for autonomy to handle your day without too much pressure from above. It provided space to learn , try new things and grow.

Cons

The company did not stay competitive in base salary and compensation for its employees. And because of that it's losing people who have been there for years. It's not a lack of culture that is the issue, but the company doesn't realize how much slack in infrastructure that the employees pick up for overworked managers. And there is no benefit or compensation for it. Also at some point Avvo went to a culture of micromanaging and for some reason thought that would help turn things around. It didn't. It built resentment and anxiety. It ruined the culture of trying new things and provided little space when I left for creativity in how you handled your day to day.

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they deserve to earn base salary and commission and you'll keep people working hard for you. But you ask too much from your employees without evaluation of how much you pay them. Listen to your people they just want to be heard and for changes they recommend to be implemented. Give them their managers back and stop keeping them in endless meetings. You get a lot right. Just stay focused. Work hard to keep the talent you cultivate.

7. "Great cause / fun culture / needs mobile maturity"

Former Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Avvo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fun startup culture / hackathons
    - Working with some friendly and passionate people
    - a great cause, making legal easier for consumers
    - great/fair pay and really amazing benefits
    - engineering management that really cares about employee growth

Cons

- native mobile strategy is very low priority
    - infrastructure is still in early stages of automation / stabilization

Advice to Management

- Decide on mobile strategy , especially for consumers
    - Prioritize mobile work/resources company-wide.

"It was really great, but a lot has changed!"

I worked at Avvo full-time

Pros

Great AM team that truly supports one another. I think it's really rare to have an "US" vs "ME" mentality and I can attest that the AM team really supports this mindset with people dropping whatever they're doing to help you out. The pay was great if you hit your sales goals and the work load was really manageable. I really, genuinely enjoyed my coworkers and still consider many of them friends after leaving the company. While I was there, there was really great work/life balance and managers were very reasonable and went to bat for you. Great insurance and decent PTO.

Cons

Unfortunately a lot has changed since I left the company after they hired a new executive to take over the sales departments. A lot of the fun culture has shifted, they now tighten up on hours and its no longer as flexible as it used to be. Towards the end of my tenure they were messing with the comp plan A LOT, which was really frustrating for a lot of people because it severely impacted their paychecks. Be prepared for change with Avvo - if you can be flexible and go with the flow of changes it might not bother you as much! Most of the great people I worked with (many who had been there for YEARS) have left.

Advice to Management

Don't just hear what your employees are saying, LISTEN! When you ask for feedback, it means a lot if you actually implement some of the suggestions you receive from team members. Good culture = happy employees who STAY! Figure out how to get that culture back that has been lost.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

40 hour weeks and free snacks

Cons

Your success depends mostly on how lucky you are. You have no say as to who you call and sell your product. They have a tier system where the top reps are called MVP’s and the bottom reps starters. Who ever thought this would create a strong team culture??? MVP’s get the best leads and incoming phone calls which leaves the rest to fight for scraps. They reward on a failed system instead of the employees ability,character, and overall performance.

Advice to Management

Stop giving employees general answers to their questions. If you really care, get rid of a system that is broken. Rewarding the top reps always does not create a positive sales team.

12 Dec 2017 – Director, Sales Strategy and Enablement

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here. We want your experience to be a positive one, as we want everyone on the sales team to be successful, supported, and rewarded. As you know, we... More

"Account Executive"

I worked at Avvo full-time

Pros

A lot of fun people on the sales floor, ability to work make your own schedule.

Cons

Revolving door of employees coming through, job security is always in question. Sales Managers seem to get a pass while everyone around them gets fired. No room for growth in this company in any way.

Advice to Management

none

11 Oct 2017 – Director, Sales Strategy & Enablement

We’re glad that you found Avvo to be fun and flexible, but to hear that the environment is unreliable and with little opportunity…that’s tough criticism that we take seriously. We are committed to... More

11. "Account executive"

Pros

Great place to work if you like sales and your attitude seeems positive.

Cons

Some AES don’t take notes properly which lead to bad client interactiion