Avvo Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.9
Avvo General Manager Jason Moss
Jason Moss

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance, the phone lines are open for the sales team from 6am to 6pm, so it really is fine for most lifestyles" (in 10 reviews)

• "Potential to make great money, some attorneys have a lot to spend" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "The morale is so low on the sales floor" (in 11 reviews)

• "If you are a woman on the sales team, be prepared to be severely outnumbered by your predominantly male peers in what often feels like a frat house" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Getting folded into the larger portfolio of Internet Brands"

Former Employee - Data and Marketing Automation Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Data and Marketing Automation Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Avvo full-time

Pros

Great teams and people, opportunities to join IB if you wish to climb the corporate ladder.

Cons

Going from startup to just a cog in the IB machine for the legal sector.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to innovate. People need to be excited to come to work, give them a reason.

"Brand is in a tailspin since IB"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits, good location, good support staff-- admin folks are really nice.

Cons

1. no hope for growth out of your role
    2. layoffs and attrition
    3. stupid decisions about product -- big picture thinking is short sighted
    4. brand is poisoned reputation due to excessive sales calls
    5. too many cancellations - you don't get paid if the deal cancels before the contract extends. So you can do your job and not get paid. bad.

Advice to Management

Change completely-- get humbled by your evident failure to see the forest for the trees. Stop ignoring good advice because the source isn't important enough-- you really think sales people are troglodytes or something. They talk to the people paying the bills while you sit in your glass box. You don't care and it's obvious.

3. "One of a kind team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Avvo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cant speak to the whole sales org but on account management side every team is great. My direct manager was simply the best. I felt supported and mentored along every step of the way. I also felt a high level of collaboration and teamwork, all of which made the culture particularly unique compared to other sale roles and companies i worked in. Also, there were monthly team outings, prizes, lunches, fun games, and a very good life/work balance.

Cons

Not always transparency around the long term changes and goals.

"Scam for attorneys and employees"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Avvo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You are close to city so many places to eat for lunch.
    - Some people are cool. If you get a good team.

Cons

- You make 80+ dials a day to get ahold of attorneys who don't care about this scam product. So you get sent to voicemails to never hear back from them.
    - You barely receive any training because everybody is leaving the company, so upper management is running around with their heads cut off.
    - Some people are cool. Many of them are shady.
    - Also if you get placed in the AE/Sales department. You are barely recognized by the company. Basically like the 2nd cousin that nobody cares about. So when quarterly meetings come up they endorse every department but sales...even though you do the most important work.

Advice to Management

good job.

"Save yourself time and apply elsewhere"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Avvo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid location downtown, Orca card, great people (if anyone is still there?), and the opportunity to learn about digital marketing.

Cons

This is an awful telemarketing job. You have no input in who you are allowed to call. You are essentially clicking next on the computer screen and whoever pops up is the person who you have to reach out to. Avvo has been calling the same attorneys every two weeks so the leads are burnt out and have no interest in signing up. It almost comes across as harassment because sales people are required to call so much. I feel bad for the people who answer calls at medium to large law firms because they get multiple calls a day for different attorneys from Avvo.

It is so easy to get burnt out because you can make 80+ calls and emails a day without hearing from a single attorney. If you do eventually get someone to sign up then they have to stay with Avvo throughout their entire contract period as well as renew another month to actually get paid. So if you hit your quota and no one renews then you won't get paid anything. Between that and having to call leads that hate Avvo, you feel like you have zero control over your paycheck.

There is zero room for career growth here. Your only chance of moving up in the company is if a sales manager quits or gets fired.

The morale is so low on the sales floor. The place is as quiet as a library and it is just sad. Sales can be a fun and lucrative career, but not at Avvo. There are plenty of sales jobs in Seattle so I suggest for anyone who is thinking of applying here to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

I truly don't know. I feel like the sales org has dug itself into such a big hole that it is going to take some major restructuring to get out.

"not so happy"

Current Employee - Customer Care in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none sad place difficult people

Cons

overworked sad management broken promises

Advice to Management

Get a real management team

"Rampant Micromanagement & Bro Culture"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Avvo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ORCA Card, snacks, close to bus stop and light rail

Cons

Summary: Tier system based on sports metaphor, low hourly rate, condescending senior management.

The worst company I have ever worked for. You will feel like a robot making 60+ calls per day. The reason being you are calling the same attorneys that have been called for the last couple of years by different reps every 2-3 weeks—most of which have no interest in or utter hatred for Avvo’s advertising product.

You will also be ranked within a tier system that is a sports metaphor—rookie, starter, all-pro, mvp, and hall of fame. Who thought of this juvenile system? New hires do not get any warm leads. Zero. Unless they become an all-pro. Your previous sales experience will not help you here. Prospecting does not exist until you become a hall of famer (top rep as any other normal sales org would refer to). You are constantly being pitted against your peers even though you are on sales teams with this tier system in place. You can check your ranking based on tier each day and trust me you will. You are also ranked based on daily call volume against your team and the rest of the sales floor.

If you are a woman on the sales team, be prepared to be severely outnumbered by your predominantly male peers in what often feels like a frat house. A bunch of inflated egos and bros. Read about the Avvo sexual harassment lawsuit a few years ago.

The position is hourly. It is very strange because most sales jobs are base salary + commission. They will tell you it’s basically a base plus this unbelievable opportunity to make great commission. The base is pretty low compared to other sales positions. The promise of great commission would be true if we weren’t all calling the same attorneys every two weeks who have no interest in advertising and get more frustrated with us with each phone call.

If you want to hate your life this is the job for you. If you want to deal with condescending upper management who treats you like a kid and not an adult with actual prior sales experience, this is the place for you. I wouldn’t wish working here on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your sales reps and look in the mirror. Morale isn’t low because of the sales reps, it’s because of the working conditions you and Internet Brands have created. Treat your sales reps like humans and not dialing machines. Maybe the turnover rate would go down. Maybe the door of departing employees would stop swinging for a week, let alone longer. Stop lying to new hires. Like another reviewer said, these are people’s lives.

8. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Avvo full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, great director, interesting problems

Cons

Need to hire faster to challenge interesting problems

"So you really want to know how I feel..."

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Avvo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As today marks my last day at Avvo, I can't help but be incredibly thankful for the experience. I met, and made friends for life. The sales floor is extremely competitive, hence I'm sure I made enemies as well.
    If you have ever bought a car, and wondered "how fast can my brand new car go?"
    You would need the right facility, race track, etc... to really test your curiosity.
    I've been in sales for a long time, but I could never realize my full potential...until now. I believe I've ran a true test at Avvo.
    Avvo provides you with a structured environment, and plenty of sales rules in place to measure your starting point... your progress... and ultimately where you finish.
    From time to time, I'll look up what sales people are posting about Avvo's compensation, quality of work, etc on Glassdoor.
    Look... whether you're looking to purchase your 1st house, an investment property, a pickup truck, a boat, a Ferrari ... they are all possible at Avvo.
    Don't be persuaded by graphs, or what people posted regarding their limitations.
    From my experience, my income at Avvo was limitless and your's should be as well.
    To my friends that are interested in working at Avvo... it's all thumbs up from me.
    To my friends that remain, I will miss each and everyone of you.
    I was once told Glassdoor prohibits names... hence this is taking me a lot of time to type up, go back delete, and retype my original message.
    I have A.D.D. so this is taking me for freaking forever...
    I leave with my best month ever... I'm a numbers guy. 19 work days this September, and I only worked 11 of them... and yet my best month ever.
    That only tells me the best is yet to come at Avvo.
    If you're a heavy hitter, you want to measure up against the best, and you have aspirations to spend a lot of money... or save a lot of money, look to Avvo.
    Good luck.

Cons

It's a major pay cut to go from a top sales account executive to management.
    Hence, if you're not willing to take a steep pay cut... you will have to endure the grind and remain an account executive... forever. It can get boring, and monotonous. You may even lose focus and do something you normally wouldn't. Trust me... been there, done that. Again, I have A.D.D. Anything is possible.
    My biggest gripe during my time at Avvo concerning career advancement... there really isn't one.
    At least for me, personally, it just seemed like there was nothing more for me.

Advice to Management

Prior to Avvo, I worked on a sales floor where they randomly double comped all deals sold one day out of each month. No one would know what day of the month this would take place... except for the VP. So it kept everyone on their heels, and for the most part, people were very apprehensive about calling out sick.
    I've watched our attendance go South... it doesn't seem like people want to be there, and the fun of Avvo has left the building.
    One thing that will cause sales people to react quickly is CASH. Cash is king.
    I'm sure with me gone, it's a lot less commission to pay out each month. The budget should be open for double comping... just saying.
    Pick one day out of the month to double comp all sales sold that day.
    I'm 100% confident the attendance will pick back up.
    Allow the floor to play music.
    Get away from this library type atmosphere. Bring some excitement back.
    If you're a manager, and you think for a moment, "am I boring?" - you are. If you thought even for a moment that you're boring... you're part of the problem. Pump up your team. Shave your head... do something and be responsible for the lack of fun. Get rid of the blitz lights.
    Thanks Avvo. Best of luck.

Avvo Response

12 Oct 2018 – Avvo

Thank you for sharing about your experience on the sales team. We appreciate your contributions to Team Avvo and wish you the best in the future.

10. "Recent Decisions"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Avvo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Avvo recently made it clear that honest and ethical sales reps will always be chosen over unscrupulous opportunists who are trying to grab as much as they can for themselves - no matter how high those unscrupulous reps’ numbers are. The sales department is a team, and it feels great to work on a team that encourages consideration for each other. Go Avvo!
    Avvo management continues to make the courageous decision to maintain a sales floor that is free from unethical and dishonest behavior. I applaud this courage, and I benefit every day from it; our sales culture is super great. The Avvo sales office is a great place to work in part because fairness, honesty, and transparency are emphasized.

Cons

If you are a go-getter, you have to start work at 6am in order to compete. And our health insurance is going to downgrade in 2019 – that might be a deal-breaker for me and others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Keep the channels of communication open, and this will continue to be a great place to work. I applaud 99% of your recent decisions.