Bankwest Reviews

Updated 3 Jul 2020

3.9
Bankwest Managing Director Rowan Munchenberg (no image)
Rowan Munchenberg
Pros
  • "Flexible working, small enough company to make a difference, large enough that the work matters(in 33 reviews)

• "Looks after employee and good work life balance(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "And the constant restructures cause uncertainty(in 8 reviews)

• "Key senior management turnover far too regular (inline with restructuring aka(in 7 reviews)

1. "Amazing company"

5.0

I have been working at Bankwest full-time

Pros

Looks after employee and good work life balance

Cons

Few cons but can be ignored as benefits are good

May 3, 2020Head of Careers

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your role at Bankwest with a good work-life balance. We wish you continued success in your role and a rewarding career with us. Good Luck!

2. "Bad culture"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Bankwest full-time

Pros

Just the company name really

Cons

New employees changed the culture

July 9, 2020Team

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a poor experience. Your feedback is important to us and in order for us to take action we encourage you to contact our anonymous hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258).

3. "Stable company"

Former Employee - Corporate Services

I worked at Bankwest full-time

Pros

Stable employment, large company, management, training

Cons

Negative workplace, no opportunities, lack of female representation

Continue reading

"Great people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Bunbury

I have been working at Bankwest full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are great to work with.

Cons

On boarding process is slow and frustrating.

June 17, 2020Head of Careers

We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying working at Bankwest with a great team around you. We’re sorry that you had a poor on boarding experience, we’ve passed on your feedback to the relevant team. We wish you the very best for a rewarding career with us.

5. "Great culture and organisation"

Current Employee - Risk Manager in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Bankwest full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture, competitive pay and good opportunities

Cons

Changing environment and fast paced

May 3, 2020Head of Careers

We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your role at Bankwest . We wish you continued success in your role and a rewarding career with us. Good Luck!

6. "Great company"

4.0

I worked at Bankwest full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun team environment to be in.

Cons

Going into digital era so less branch staff

"Good solid reputable company"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Perth, Western Australia
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Bankwest full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible Working (perfect for employees with young families). Facilities. Location. Technology & tools. Professionialism and structure.

Cons

Pay is average (and the main reason majority of employees seek pastures new). Work culture has consistently declined over the last few years. No external training opportunities whatsoever (Hasn't been since the CBA takeover). Company wide agile transformation looks to have slowed productivity instead of increase it whilst also impacting negatively on the working culture and introducing division and competition between it's tribes and platforms. Zero investment in team building in recent years (Prior to CBA takeover this was a major pro). Restructuring happens far too regularly. Key senior management turnover far too regular (inline with restructuring aka. golden bullets flying all over the place). Middle management at times treated horrifically when it comes to restructuring.

8. "Great place to work"

5.0

I have been working at Bankwest

Pros

Flexible working and good customer focus

Cons

Challenging sector post Royal Commission

"Typical Bank/Enterprise Issues"

Former Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Bankwest full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Reasonable salary. - Internal tech talks are common and often they bring in guest speakers. - Bankwest hosts lots of industry events, which makes it a convenient place to work if you're into that sort of thing. - The office is genuinely pretty nice place to work. Reasonably well equipped as far as comfortable working spaces, and the Microsoft Surface TVs are decent.

Cons

Bankwest is, unsurprisingly, a bank. It has many of the typical problems you would expect for a bank. Things move slowly - very slowly. Despite what Andy Weir might think, taking the popular Spotify "agile" model, sticking a shiny name on it, and making everyone in the company work in 2 week sprints, doesn't solve any of the deeply entrenched cultural and managerial issues that plague the company. Development teams at Bankwest are held hostage to middle managers and "product owners" who wouldn't know what tech debt was if it hit them in the face. Developers have no autonomy or control over their backlogs, and technology decisions are often made by architects that probably haven't written a line of code in about 5 years. "DevOps" at Bankwest basically means that build, deployment, and monitoring systems are now someone elses problem, leaving development teams with little to no ownership over their path to production. The "DevOps" team spends most of its time managing the VMs that make up the legacy TeamCity build system, and fighting management for budget to improve the monitoring and logging mess. Meanwhile, you still need to submit a ticket to the "infrastructure" team to get something as basic as a VM, and it could be weeks before it's ready. Bankwest is one of Perth's largest technology employers. My advice is that it's probably worth working here for a year just to get it on your CV and then move on. Don't expect to learn much, and certainly don't expect to make an impact.

10. "Two faced and unapologetically toxic"

Former Employee - Risk in Maitland, New South Wales
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Bankwest full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Peers are generally great people who want to do their best, colleague technology is good (in hindsight). Risk management practices are robust.

Cons

Management are vile, inconsistent and favouritism runs rife. They will promise you a good culture but if you’re on the east coast especially be prepared for a toxic, two-faced culture that let horrible misjustices fly due to favouritism. Management seem sleazy, but nothing ever gets done about. I was severely underpaid and promised increases that never eventuated. I would honestly think to myself most days that I don’t get paid enough to deal with this, I’ve moved on and haven’t had that thought once.

Continue reading

May 3, 2020Head of Careers

At Bankwest we are all guided by our Values and Code of conduct in everything that we do. We’re sorry that you’ve had a poor experience. Your feedback is important to us and in order for us to take action we encourage you to contact our anonymous hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258).

Found 154 reviews