Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Horacio D. Rozanski

4,263 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Less work/life balance activities" (in 189 reviews)

• "Mostly young inexperienced gossiping chatter boxes with a lack of work ethic" (in 89 reviews)

1. "Strong firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good values and work ethic

Cons

Long hours, sometimes on the weekend

"Not a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Brisbane

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO seem like a good guy.

Cons

"The Work Life Balance that it promises is usally not the reality"

"It is common for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work""

Advice to Management

Stick with the pick

"Great people, terrible business"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Everyone -- even the difficult types -- are eager to work and excel. There are some senior officers with questionable morality, but most people here are great people to work with.

Cons

1. Federal clients. Don't forget that you'll move at their pace, not yours.
    2. The nature of the job means that sooner or later you'll be strategizing ways to get more money from the client (i.e. federal government), regardless of whether or not you'll actually add value. BAH runs on government money, a large chunk from DoD, and thus is part of the bigger problem we have in this country with fiscal responsibility.
    3. Living off the American taxpayer. Much of the money that flies around in DC is at the expense of everyone else everywhere else in the US, BAH is a major player in this system, particularly the defense technology sector.
    4. You'll never get paid what you're worth. The three lowest ranks (Consultant, Sr. Consultant, Associate) seldom make what they're worth, while senior management (looking at you, officers) make insane amounts of money.

Advice to Management

I'm leaving this job for two reasons, despite being hand-picked and groomed for greater responsibility by senior management.

1. You weren't paying me enough to do the job; especially when you factor in the amount of stress this job puts on a human being, the amount of time I sacrificed with my family, the amount of guilt this job inspired in me as an American.
    2. The job is not meaningful to anyone who doesn't lust for profits. At some point each of us gets a look at how the sausage is made, and then it becomes clear that the government is basically asking (literally sending out solicitations and announcements) to be ripped off. They don't need what we're selling, but they buy it anyways because Congress tells them to. This buys Congress fancy retirement plans at the same businesses that profit. But everyone else loses, and Booz Allen isn't doing enough to be a part of our nation's long-term fiscal stability.

"Great Consulting Company and Culture"

Pros

The people are bright, ambitious and leadership at all levels are happy and willing to help you. The company invests in their people more than the other government contracting companies I've worked for. They do lots of strategic investing in new insights, so you can always find something interesting to work on if you do not have a current client engagement or want to put in some more time on the side. Most of the management were genuinely kind, wonderful folks interested in your best interest.

Cons

The company is very management heavy. They promote very inexperienced people into executive positions. It was almost shocking when I saw the resume of a principal/director at the company. Their inexperience shows with their people strategy, budget management, and especially their ability to handle more difficult or subtle situations. The often promote based on likability - which is important in consulting, but it does not give them the credibility or experience to lead.

Advice to Management

You should find ways to reward without promotion. People really jockey to get to Senior Associate, because they want the bonuses, find a way to spread that around so people aren't being promoted for the wrong reasons. Also, consider their people experience when promoting - I worked with executives from technical fields at the firm and it was painful to interact with them.

5. "Outstanding company to work for if you’re able to get in"

Former Employee - Associate in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and leadership. You’re always allowed to take the individual initiative

Cons

None, I had a great experience

Advice to Management

N/A

"Rewarding Employment Experience"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Lexington Park, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Lexington Park, MD (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful culture, supportive teammates and job leaders/career managers, and constant feedback (versus an annual review.)

Cons

Oboarding (orientation) does not discuss or consider those employees who will be away from a Booz Allen office and sitting on client site, away from the Booz Allen culture.

7. "Overall a great company to work for, but needs to make some changes to retain its employees."

Current Employee - Business Process Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Process Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable work and and incredible mentoring culture! Decent health/dental insurance and 401K matching. Options for continued education at the expense of the firm.

Depending on the project, there’s options to work remotely, have a flexible schedule, and take time off.

Cons

Great values, but often lacking in execution.

Employees leave because of relatively low pay, lack of benefits, lack of connection to the firm, or poor management.

Offers traditional benefits (health/dental) but could use a revamp of its business model to offer its employees more.

Advice to Management

Its traditional business model could increasingly hurt the firm down the road.

Management ought to be looking at ways to keep up with competition by exploring benefits that employees are looking for. Innovative ideas like being able to bring pets to work, not have a dress code, work remotely, and have unlimited vacation seem like they would never be allowed at Booz Allen.

8. "Senior Consultant"

Pros

There were many growth opportunities and a lot of project variety

Cons

Long hours and lack of flexibility (at times)

9. "Lead Associate"

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people always make a job great and the team in KC was wonderful. Great benefits and support throughout my employment.

Cons

Lack of visibility and exposure into corporate headquarters.

10. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Stuttgart (Germany)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Stuttgart (Germany)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome company, super incentives, and benefits packages

Cons

The world of contracting is filled with unknowns

Advice to Management

I would like for management to be more forthcoming with details concerning contract re-compete status.

Showing 4,263 of 4,438 reviews