Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Booz Allen Hamilton President and CEO Horacio D. Rozanski
Horacio D. Rozanski

4,048 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing work-life balance with the most flexible schedule in the industry (in 536 reviews)

• Most projects make it easy to work from home a day a week, if not 100% of the time (in 88 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 182 reviews)

• If not, employees get lack of work notice (in 84 reviews)

1. "Strong firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good values and work ethic

Cons

Long hours, sometimes on the weekend

"Not a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Brisbane

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO seem like a good guy.

Cons

"The Work Life Balance that it promises is usally not the reality"

"It is common for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work""

Advice to Management

Stick with the pick

"Great people, terrible business"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Everyone -- even the difficult types -- are eager to work and excel. There are some senior officers with questionable morality, but most people here are great people to work with.

Cons

1. Federal clients. Don't forget that you'll move at their pace, not yours.
    2. The nature of the job means that sooner or later you'll be strategizing ways to get more money from the client (i.e. federal government), regardless of whether or not you'll actually add value. BAH runs on government money, a large chunk from DoD, and thus is part of the bigger problem we have in this country with fiscal responsibility.
    3. Living off the American taxpayer. Much of the money that flies around in DC is at the expense of everyone else everywhere else in the US, BAH is a major player in this system, particularly the defense technology sector.
    4. You'll never get paid what you're worth. The three lowest ranks (Consultant, Sr. Consultant, Associate) seldom make what they're worth, while senior management (looking at you, officers) make insane amounts of money.

Advice to Management

I'm leaving this job for two reasons, despite being hand-picked and groomed for greater responsibility by senior management.

1. You weren't paying me enough to do the job; especially when you factor in the amount of stress this job puts on a human being, the amount of time I sacrificed with my family, the amount of guilt this job inspired in me as an American.
    2. The job is not meaningful to anyone who doesn't lust for profits. At some point each of us gets a look at how the sausage is made, and then it becomes clear that the government is basically asking (literally sending out solicitations and announcements) to be ripped off. They don't need what we're selling, but they buy it anyways because Congress tells them to. This buys Congress fancy retirement plans at the same businesses that profit. But everyone else loses, and Booz Allen isn't doing enough to be a part of our nation's long-term fiscal stability.

5. "Solid benefits, above average PTO amount, flexible work location (depending on project)"

Current Employee - Associate III in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Associate III in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very intelligent and hard-working employees. Flexible work locations and solid benefits.

Cons

Promotions are very competitive and may discourage folks. 401k is only matched if you stay with company through end of year.

6. "N/a"

Pros

Great salary and great team members

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "BAH Internal Teams"

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I don't work on the client side but internally and that is the best side to be on. Deadlines are not as tight and demanding as it would be on the client side. I enjoy a good work life balance (office 2 days, WFH 3), my job is flexible w/ hours. As long as you get your work done no one is micromanaging you.

Cons

Pay increases haven't been the best (anywhere from 2-3%) yearly unless you are getting promoted.

8. "Excellent environment that allows remote work"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote Work opportunities.
    Sponsored Training.
    Management encourage and coaches individuals constantly.
    Available opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

Contract based positions. After a contract has ended (There are long and short contracts) the employee needs to align him/herself with new open/available contracts. This could take time and energy, as you have to market yourself withing the organization to secure a new position.

9. "Great place to start a career in public service"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I spent my first three years out of college at Booz Allen and had the opportunity to work with clients from every branch of government and across industry verticals. I would recommend it to anyone looking to have a career in public service because you have the ability to 'get a taste' of various government agencies without committing to anyone for longer than ~6 months. Depending on your goals, you can take many different career paths--to executive leadership, subject matter expertise, project management, etc. Within the Federal consulting space, there are few better employers.

Cons

Booz Allen is a large and bureaucratic organization, not unlike the majority of clients it serves. To make change, especially at the junior level, you have to be extremely proactive to the point of being abrasive. Most people starting out are not comfortable taking this approach and end up 'falling through the cracks' and never taking full advantage of what the Firm can offer them. Relative to commercial consulting firms, Booz Allen struggles to provide competitive compensation. Top talent can typically make 20-30% more in the commercial space, so there is a bit of a talent gap at the junior levels.

Advice to Management

Prioritize recruiting top talent from top schools. Don't use junior colleagues to 'fill seats on client site'--use them to provide outside-in perspectives and energize your organization and teams. They are the future and will not be attracted to unless you improve and provide competitive pay, incentivize exceptional performers, institutionalize support structures, and provide both professional and personal growth opportunities.

10. "N/A"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Team Atmosphere
    -Work-Life Balance
    -Opportunities to Grow

Cons

-Sitting on the bench
    -Salary can be a bit low compared to other firms

11. "Consultant"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Overall Booz Allen is a good place to work. Tuition/Career Development assistance is outstanding. The firm has a very supportive environment and people look out for each other. Benefits and work/life balance overall are very solid. The work can be very rewarding and there are many different opportunities to choose from.

Cons

If you're on client site it's hard to meet other people within the firm and overall it's very difficult to stay connected. Entry level compensation is mediocre at best. Being a non-exempt employee is a major burden. Promotion and compensation structure seems far too rigid. Constant organizational change is tiresome and confusing. You generally have to seek opportunities out, which can be a good or bad thing.

Advice to Management

Do more to keep on-site staff connected to the firm. Ensure compensation is competitive with the industry. Incentivize employees to stay long-term.

Showing 4,048 of 4,203 reviews