Brightside Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Brightside Reviews

Updated 1 Oct 2019

3.5
Brightside CEO Brendan McCafferty   (no image)
Brendan McCafferty
Pros
  • "Convenient location with free parking on the doorstep(in 9 reviews)

• "The 'minions' are really great people, bonding with other staff in the face of adversity(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company culture took a massive turn for the worse with the introduction of a new venture captial-backed management team(in 3 reviews)

• "Its origin is a call-centre company(in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Aust, England

I have been working at Brightside full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Progression for those who work for it Managable opening hours/shift patterns Competitive salary Varied customer base Friendly working environment Work based incentives for increased engagement

Cons

Often little to no performance based pay rises Sales agents more focussed upon than customer service agents

Advice to Management

Keep putting customers at the heart of the business Reward those who have shown sustained loyalty to the company

Brightside2019-10-01
  2. "Bright side"

Current Employee - Renewal Sales Representative in Bristol, England

I have been working at Brightside full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment, relaxed but motivating. Managers are friendly and supportive. Bonus are brilliant and achievable Onsite free parking Cafe at discounted prices General happy vibes around the CVD department

Cons

Working Saturday until 5pm Working until 7:30pm during the week

Brightside2019-09-24
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Administrator in Bristol, England

I have been working at Brightside full-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff are very welcoming and helpful when training. You are constantly being praised for hitting targets for calls etc which is lovely. The shifts are fairly given out and the hours are nice. There are many opportunities to progress your skills and grow within the company.

Cons

The training process is long and not everything is relevant to what you will be doing.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging staff when they are doing a good job

Brightside2019-09-19

October 10, 2019Social Media Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review. Really glad you feel you have the room to progress and grow here. We hear you on the training process as well. We're looking at all the training currently and making changes to make it as relevant and bespoke to all positions as possible. Best- The brightside team.

4. "Brightside Review"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Aust, England

I have been working at Brightside full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture and environment at Brightside make it an easy place to come to work every day. Always feel welcome and part of a big family. The opportunity for bonus make it a competitive sales floor, which I find only pushes me to improve. I have gained a huge amount of insurance knowledge since working here, and I have been given the support to improve my sales technique.

Cons

When I first started at Brightside back in 2014, there were always opportunities coming up for people to progress through their hard work and length of service, these opportunities have become limited. Unfortunately the idea of having a career at Brightside has faded. Holiday has become more difficult to book due to lower staff numbers (however this is slowly improving), this in turn means you end up covering more... late shifts etc.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff members and they will want to look after your customers. Recognition has become a thing of the past, and it seems on the sales floor you will only hear about the slower days, rather than being praised for your strong days. Transparency is key, as the staff seem to find out any important information last.

Brightside2019-09-18

October 10, 2019Social Media Manager

Great review, with lots of info for the employee engagement team to look through. Our people are fantastic, its something we hear from everyone who works here, so thank you for mentioning it in your review. Your right about the low staff numbers, we're putting a lot of focus on this right now, both to increase numbers and making sure all of our colleagues feel supported in and out of the office.

5. "Brightside"

Current Employee - Quality Coach in Bristol, England

I have been working at Brightside full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked for Brightside for just over two years now, progression for myself has been good within the business coming from the call centre floor. My manager is great and I enjoy working with the back office teams a lovely bunch of people. Training I had was brilliant and the trainer does look after you.

Cons

Not a lot of company benefits eg only have health cash plan which is paid for out of salary. Could run more fun days to engage with staff / more events to get involved in and keep motivation up. Salary increase across support roles as call centre were given a payrise, however back office staff have worked years for the kind of increase that agents were given.

Advice to Management

Increase back office salaries in line with the rest of the market. Look at benefits package.

Brightside2019-09-16
  6. "Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Brightside."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aust, England

I worked at Brightside full-time for more than a year

Pros

No two days are the same, each case presents a different challenge which keeps things interesting. The people are great and the teams are good size, which allows you to build good working relationships as well as friendships outside of the office. There's been a very obvious change in how they operate over the last few years and they're quite obviously making the effort to be more customer-centred rather than... focusing on the interests of the company. There's always opportunity to stray outside of your job role and take on extra responsibilities and duties if you want to, all you have to do is ask! I started as a customer service agent taking CS calls (i.e. processing changes to policies, finance admin and general policy administration) and ended up handling all of their social media and review platforms, using them to assist customers who prefer to do things online rather than on the phone. Being able to contact customers who left reviews and analyse the data collected gave me a better understanding of customer needs and enabled me to be a much more effective customer service agent. If you're good with numbers, maybe ask if you can get involved with the Finance team, I'm certain they'll make it work. The office itself is good, ample parking and canteen services if you can't be bothered to make a packed lunch. The view is great even on a rainy day! If its sunny you can go for a walk around the site, or kick a footy around on the green. I had to leave due to university commitments, but they tried really hard to keep me on and make it work around my study schedule. Although it didn't work out, I really appreciate that they tried to make it work!

Cons

The training programme you go through at the beginning of your employment (around 4 weeks) doesn't cover everything and it can feel a bit overwhelming when you first start taking calls, although it would be impossible to learn absolutely everything you need to know in this time. After 2 weeks or so on the phones, you'll be surrounded by experienced agents who can support you and you'll feel completely comfortable.

Brightside2019-09-12

October 10, 2019Social Media Manager

Thanks so much for such a detailed review of Brightside. Love that you feel that there are plenty of opportunities at brightside, and it's great that you were able to explore roles and find a role you really enjoyed. Your feedback about the training programme is heard loud and clear and we're in the process of changing these to be more detailed for each role.

7. "Appreciated employee"

Current Employee - CS Advisor in Aust, England

I have been working at Brightside full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

An events committe that arranges many fun activities inside & outside of working hours, approachable management team on all levels, encouragement to progress agents journey, great location with free parking and safe walking outside area, supportive of any physical/medical concerns of employees, which I myself have benefited from in the last few years, giving oppertunities to move around the business when... positions become available, which allows agents to increase their knowledge and self-worth.

Cons

At times in the past a tendancy to react rather than be proactive when agents voice possible improvements to practices, which has become so much better recently with some really supportive Team Leaders and promoted seniors.

Advice to Management

Keep listening as it's proved to be more beneficial across the business for all areas/departments.

Brightside2019-09-04
  8. "Wokring at Brightside..."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Aust, England

I worked at Brightside full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Friendly Team - The yearly salary is satisfactory (although in my opinion, it could be higher) - Free parking - Decent on site facilities e.g. The Canteen (however some of the items are overpriced for what they are) - Sociable working hours, only ever between 09:00 - 17:00 or 09:30 - 17:30. - Lovely view from the office. - Some opportunities for progression if you want it. - Easy interview process.

Cons

- The training given for those who are first starting at Brightside is too long and doesn't focus on the role, just seems to be bookwork more than anything else. - The customers often tend to be unhappy as a result of the fees charged. Can often feel as if you're dealing with complaints. - Targets at times can seem unreachable. - Office equipment is shocking (probably the worst I've seen) many people are sat on... chairs that are falling apart. - Little freedom in terms of lunches and breaks, you are told when to go - can at times feel like being back in school. - Staff are overstretched on a weekend with barely any support from Management. - Having to working Bank Holidays - I would accept this if all branches of the business were expected to do this, e.g. Bristol, Southampton and Torquay but it's just Bristol.

Advice to Management

Communicate with all members of the Team, I feel that some agents don't often feel all that comfortable in expressing what they truly believe. I would say that where possible, a monthly review where both good and bad feedback is discussed would help. Possibly, throughout the course of the month you could have agents anonymously add their feedback into 'good' and 'bad' boxes.

October 10, 2019Social Media Manager

Hey! Thanks for the review, all of your feedback is really valuable to the employee engagement team. Yes, handling unhappy customers isn't a nice thing to have to do, and we're putting a lot of effort into improving the customer journey to make their time with us as painless as possible. Happier customers mean fewer complaints for you to deal with. We're just about to spend some money on giving the office a bit of a facelift and we are getting new equipment where needed, and new computers for all! We've also got a great team looking at the training programme. We've heard our colleagues say they didn't feel it was focused enough and we're making the changes to improve that. Thanks again for your review, it's really helpful.

9. "7 years service"

Current Employee - Quality Coach in Bristol, England

I have been working at Brightside full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people at Brightside are very welcoming. My Manager is fair, approachable and flexible. He makes me feel a valued member of the team. Convenient location with free parking on the doorstep.

Cons

The technology is not the best.

October 10, 2019Social Media Manager

Thank you so much for your review. Fantastic that you've got a supportive manager, we're really proud of our leadership team here. We're in the process of updating all of our technology, it is out of date, and we're working hard at the moment to sort that.

10. "Under staffed"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Bristol, England

I have been working at Brightside full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary Goo working environment

Cons

High fee A lot of customers complaining

Brightside2019-09-11