Crowd Surf Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Crowd Surf Reviews

Updated Mar 6, 2019

3.2
Crowd Surf Co-Founder Cassie Petrey (no image)
Cassie Petrey

"Fine, but don't rely on it."

Current Employee - Transcriptionist

I have been working at Crowd Surf full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is generally a good supply of work. The interface works reasonably well. The pay is acceptable and one can make decent money if you're good. You can set your own hours. Since a lot of the content to be transcribed is from universities, if you happen to have some technical or scientific knowledge you can make a very tidy amount of money. Business appears to be stable, I have made good money from them over... the last four years.

Cons

The company is sketchy. There is no contact information for anyone on their website. For all I know it's just an automated program running on someone's computer somewhere. Their bonus system is designed to make it as difficult as possible to claim bonuses, which make up a solid portion of your pay. The quality control system is a catastrophe. There is no oversight. You submit a task, someone else scores it.... If the score is too low it may bring your average down to the point where you lose your bonus. You have a limited number of scored tasks that you're allowed to dispute even if the reviewer was blatantly in the wrong. You need very good headphones and a very good keyboard to be efficient at this. I have a Cherry MX Blue keyboard ($160) and a pair of OPPO PM3 headphones ($400). You will not be able to do this with your laptop and a pair of earbuds from Wal-Mart, and if you do not already own such hardware it's probably not worth the investment. There is opportunity for advancement but it is completely unclear how one is supposed to ask for a promotion given that there is no apparent way to contact management.

Advice to Management

You need to be more transparent and have a more fair and straightforward payment system.

Crowd Surf2019-03-07

"Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Transcriptionist

I worked at Crowd Surf part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work when you want, make a few extra dollars if you can type fast, usually always work available

Cons

Incessant technical problems, support is rude, ignores workers, low quality audio, a million "guidelines" to memorize, your work is judged by other workers not by company; I was banned from their platform with zero notice due to, in their words, too many tasks marked "poor" or "fraud". The truth is, my quality score dropped drastically from one day to the next. I had not had any rejections or issues for at least a... year before this and they never withheld my pay for any reason. I was never once contacted by them with these concerns until after I reached out to them, and I still don't have all the answers. I'm an experienced typist and I honestly think I was completing so much work that it set off some kind of flag, but they can't bear to be smarter than their computers. I'm going to keep pursuing this solely on principle, and if this happens to anyone else, you should too.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers with respect, especially when you're only paying them 5 cents at a time.

Crowd Surf2018-12-17

"Online Work"

I have been working at Crowd Surf part-time

Pros

Easy online work and flexible Hours

Cons

Very low wage Not many jobs available

Crowd Surf2018-05-23

"Transcriptionist"

Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Mount Vernon, IL

I have been working at Crowd Surf part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work when you want.

Cons

Could pay more. But, we all want more pay right?

Crowd Surf2018-03-23

"Great but busy"

I have been working at Crowd Surf full-time for less than a year

Pros

- other staff members are awesome - great environment - flexible schedule - work from home Fridays - learn a TON - definitely have huge dream clients that are thrilling to work on

Cons

- To Do list is always long - there is a lot to keep up with - Does require some night and weekend hours

Advice to Management

- Great job giving staff feedback and teaching new things - Would like to hear more about overall goals and long term plans for the company

Crowd Surf2018-02-28

"I work on transcription a few times a week. As a newbie I am still getting used to the platform."

Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Remote, OR

I have been working at Crowd Surf part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home to earn a little bit if extra money each week.

Cons

Pay isn't very good. Also having to skip poor audios takes up precious earning time!

Advice to Management

Good place to work. Pay could be better, but I am only at level one currently.

Crowd Surf2017-11-28
  7. "Fun place to work"

I worked at Crowd Surf

Pros

Lots of fun people to work with, learned a lot of new things everyday

Cons

Their were times when I did not have much to do. Wish there were more events

Advice to Management

Have more things for interns to do

Crowd Surf2017-09-11
  8. "Easy but not as rewarding as I would have hoped"

I worked at Crowd Surf

Pros

Nice group of people and fun office. If you are just looking to sit at a desk and do social media all day this is the place for you. It is perfect if you love music as well- always hearing new sounds.

Cons

Lots of busy work with no direction. Not enough hours for interns. Lost a lot of time that could have been used to benefit new comers in the industry. Did not leave with that much knowledge of the music industry.

Advice to Management

Interact with the interns more and help them feel useful besides just the busy work.

Crowd Surf2016-09-18

"Very Nice Company"

Transcriptionist

I have been working at Crowd Surf

Pros

Almost always lots of work available

Cons

Sometimes you are marked wrong when you transcribed correctly and if you don't have enough credits, you can't dispute. You are only allowed so many credits to dispute so you have to choose if it is important enough to use a credit.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Crowd Surf2016-01-13

"Transcriptionist"

I have been working at Crowd Surf for less than a year

Pros

Ability to set your own hours and work from home

Cons

The pay is low but is a good way to get transcription practice

Advice to Management

Increase pay for most accurate workers

Crowd Surf2015-09-10