DAC Beachcroft Reviews

Updated 30 Jun 2020

3.4
DAC Beachcroft Managing Partner David Pollitt (no image)
David Pollitt
Pros
Cons
  • "Lots of junior lawyers leaving - morale is low(in 5 reviews)

• "Bonus scheme for non-fee earning staff in IT would appear to be far more limited than what the legal fee-earners can attain(in 5 reviews)

"Avoid at all costs! Money over people! Management team are bullies!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Birmingham, England

I worked at DAC Beachcroft full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro is that everyone is in the same boat, and everyone feels just as depressed, stressed, and overworked as each other.

Cons

- Management are bullies - Care more about figures and money than staff health - Pay is only just above minimum wage, but with the extra hours you are expected to do, it is actually under minimum wage - HR are useless and only favour management to stay in good books Avoid at all costs! Money over people! Use the word “mental health” constantly, but do not care about their staff! Management team are bullies, and only care about themselves. Staff have a case load of 200+ files, get paid nominal sums for the hours they are expected to do, and are told to “work harder”.

2. COVID-19

"Fantastic firm"

Current Employee - Employment Paralegal in Leeds, England

I have been working at DAC Beachcroft full-time

Pros

Excellent quality of work Supportive team and flexibility around working times where needed. Firm clearly care about wellbeing of staff, particularly during Covid-19 issues.

Cons

None that I can think of.

3. COVID-19

"Some good benefits, but WOEFUL pay for what is expected of you!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I worked at DAC Beachcroft full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Nice Birmingham office with some good benefits (flexi time in particular). - Paralegals around the office are friendly. - The case management system is better in comparison to what I have personally used at other firms. - There are no paper based files. - The IT and HR team are helpful. - The firms puts on a good Christmas do. - Dealt with Covid situation well.

Cons

- Stressful, unrealistic expectations and extremely high work load. - Paralegals are worked tirelessly with very little training and support. - Pay is woeful. When you take into consideration the extra work Paralegals have to complete to attempt to meet their targets and further stay on top of their workload (near enough impossible) the pay is minimum wage. - Paralegals have sky-high billing targets and their chargeable hour target is the same as Solicitors at the firm. - Turn over of Paralegals is very high, sadly experienced and very talented Paralegals are leaving due to awful pay and unrealistic expectations. - As a result of constant leavers current employees are burdened with even more work. - Patronising staff who expect Paralegals to know everything despite being provided with no training and failing to remember that not everyone has previous litigation experience. - Making a bonus is impossible due to the fact Paralegals have a ridiculous billing target and fee earners across the board fail to even come close to meeting the target.

4. "Work life balance"

I have been working at DAC Beachcroft full-time

Pros

Wellness is a big thing and there are plenty of opportunities for getting involved.

Cons

Salaries for non legal staff are not that competitive

5. "A great experience for the future"

Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at DAC Beachcroft full-time

Pros

Knowledgeable people, I learned a lot and it helped me realise what I wanted to do

Cons

Not much support given by superiors, especially considering it was my first legal role

February 27, 2020HR Business Partner

Hi, thank you for your feedback, it's good to read that your experience has been positive. We would like you to feel that you have the support you need. Are you able to schedule a one to one with your line manager to talk about what this looks like further? If you don't feel comfortable to do this then please do chat to your HRBP who'd be happy to give you some help.

6. "A welcoming and enjoyable company"

Current Employee - Chartered Legal Executive in Birmingham, England

I have been working at DAC Beachcroft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexi-hours assist with a work-life balance Very accommodating towards circumstances and career aspirations

Cons

Annual leave affects utilisation rate

7. "Internal communications"

Current Employee - Internal Communications Manager

I have been working at DAC Beachcroft part-time

Pros

Supportive, interesting work, great colleagues

Cons

Decision making speed. Very wide network.

8. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Advisor in Bristol, England

I have been working at DAC Beachcroft full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary, great work/life balance and great location

Cons

Lack of cheap parking nearby, some processes a little long winded

February 27, 2020HR Business Partner

Thanks for sharing your feedback, it's really pleasing to read. We agree parking is a challenge in the centre of Bristol, we do try and encourage car sharing where possible but understand there is competition for spaces in the area around the office.

9. "Real estate supervisor"

Current Employee - Chartered Legal Executive in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at DAC Beachcroft part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team, flexible working and benefits

Cons

Not managed very well well

"Not recommended"

2.0
    Former Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Bristol, England

I worked at DAC Beachcroft full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The team was great and the Service Desk Management is doing their best to care for the team. But only they do as the Upper Management couldn't care less - Pub lunches - Christmas and Summer parties - Salary way above average on the market compared to the type of work you need to perform

Cons

- Dysfunctional IT department - Nearly impossible to progress because of favouritism and nepotism - Ridiculous Sick Pay leave calculation - Non existent training. There is some training on the in-house apps but don't expect to get any kind of training to gain qualifications as you won't be given any time to do it. You will have to self study on your own time - Pressure hit the stats as they are the most important thing - The worst Service Desk organisation I've ever seen with backlog tickets that are over a month old and haven't been picked up - Service Desk in there is a glorified Call Centre as the main focus is on the telephony while tickets sit in the queue unaccepted for month - Poor communication between IT departments - Always understaffed - People taking sick leave or getting physically sick because they can't handle the pressure at work - Low skill job. 1st Line Support does the bare minimum. 2nd Line doesn't meet market standards as they do the same thing as the 1st Line but don't answer the phone

February 27, 2020HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking time to leave us your feedback, we're naturally disappointed to hear you have a negative outlook on your time working here. You've shared a number of concerns, if I can respond to some of these. We held a session with all of the Service Desk team recently where the Head of IT and Head of IT Operations listened to all concerns and issues that members of the SD wanted to raise, we're keen to do what we can and always try to respond to feedback. We recently engaged an external consultancy to support us in addressing backlogs which lead to the achievement of a number of SLAs within the Service Desk. Communication is an area of real importance to the team, one to ones take place within IT frequently, as well as a daily stand up with the Service Desk Manager and Team Leader, this is also an opportunity where concerns could be cascaded up and addressed. With regard to training we purchased an additional six Plurasight licenses for use within the Service Desk which allows all colleagues to access hundreds of technical courses. We are also supportive in providing training time , our Service Desk team have had training in ITIL, CompTIA and appropriate institute training. We're sorry you chose not to continue your career with DACB but wish you success in your future career.

Found 87 reviews