Duke Clinical Research Institute Reviews

Updated 18 Jun 2020

2.6
Duke Clinical Research Institute Executive Director Adrian Hernandez
Adrian Hernandez
Pros
  • "9 to 5 job with great work life balance(in 32 reviews)

• "DCRI offers great benefits for employees(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "What you end up with are the people who are complacent and less interested in change and the big ideas DCRI has for its future(in 26 reviews)

• "Poor management skills practiced by upper management(in 7 reviews)

1. "Challenging, Frustrating, Rewarding"

4.0
    Former Employee - Clinical Trial Coordinator

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

I learned so much about research, it was a great learning experience.

Cons

I wish there had been more collaboration and more support.

June 23, 2020DCRI

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at the DCRI. We are happy to hear that you feel the DCRI provided a great learning environment. DCRI prides itself on building strong teams with leaders who believe in our mission and support their staff. We agree that collaboration and team support is extremely important; listening to our employees and collaborating with one another is crucial to our mission and work we do every day to improve the lives of patients around the world through innovative research. Thank you again for your feedback.

2. "Physician Heal Thyself"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are very good and the only reason to persevere.

Cons

Leadership is the epitome of buffoonery- a revolving door of over educated unaware self absorbed academics.

June 23, 2020DCRI

Thank you for providing your input about your past experience at the DCRI. We hope that during your time at the Institute you were able to contribute to our mission and bring your talents to studies that result in real change in patient care. We know that our world leading research faculty, who also are practicing physicians, strive each day to make a difference in patients’ lives through our life-changing research. We wish you the best of luck in your career.

3. "Could be worse"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Assistant in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

DCRI offers great benefits for employees

Cons

The salary is low compared to other companies. Management isn't great.

March 27, 2020DCRI

Thank you for taking time to share feedback and thank you for being part of our team. We agree that DCRI offers great benefits to its employees—including a variety of health and wellness plans, an exceptional employer-provided retirement contribution, tuition assistance, an employee discount program, and flexible work arrangements. We also understand that salary is important to our employees, and that, when making a comparison to other companies, there are many factors to consider when looking at overall compensation—such as the aforementioned robust set of benefits. In response to your concern about management, the DCRI is actively engaged throughout its top level of leaders to improve our skills in team and client leadership. We’re excited about the improvements and changes taking place that will ensure we remain a leader in clinical research design and continue to serve our mission each day. We’re proud of our world-class physician-clinicians and stellar operations team members and the DCRI’s impact on improving health for all through innovative clinical research. Again, thank you for taking time to share your input.

4. "Could be better still great"

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

very mission driven, get to work with PIs

Cons

low pay, do not get to work from home

March 18, 2020DCRI

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The DCRI prides itself on building strong teams with employees who believe in our mission. Every day our dedicated staff and faculty devote their time, talent, and energy to fulfilling our mission to improve the lives of patients around the world through innovative clinical research. Thank you for being part of our team. We know that salary is important to our employees and there are many variables to consider when looking at overall compensation. We want to make sure that you are aware that we have a robust set of benefits for our employees including a variety of health and wellness plans, an employer-provided retirement contribution, tuition assistance, and a great employee discount program. You can go to Duke’s benefits website to find out more. We think you will find that our benefits package provides significant value to the total compensation. While we’re unsure of your particular situation, DCRI does provide flexible work arrangements based on the suitability of teleworking for the work being performed. Some DCRI roles actually are home-based (e.g. CRAs) and other roles enjoy flexible working arrangements, including telecommuting options during the week, agreed upon between managers and their staff. Again, thank you for taking time to share your input

"What they don't know can't hurt them--so they think"

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

No one will bother to fire a poor performer

Cons

If they don't know about something, they just pretend it's unimportant

April 6, 2020DCRI

Hello, and thank you for sharing your comments. The DCRI, through its affiliation with Duke, has a rigorous process to manage performance for all Duke employees, one that is in line with industry guidelines and best practices. Furthermore, our mission to conduct innovative clinical research and share knowledge to help improve care for patients underpins every discussion and decision we make here at the DCRI. To get to the answers of some of the most pressing clinical care questions, we begin by asking the right questions that help to frame an approach to discovery that unveils truths. Each day, DCRI’s faculty and staff are focused on developing and sharing knowledge through innovative clinical research, and we’re proud of the work we do to improve patients’ lives. Thank you for your contribution to that and for taking time to share your feedback.

6. "Horrible management"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits good 403 b and vacatio

Cons

No business plan For growth

February 11, 2020DCRI

Thank you for sharing your input. We agree that as a part of Duke and the School of Medicine, DCRI offers a robust array of benefits, not the least of which is very flexible work options! We’re currently implementing a comprehensive strategic plan that launched last year, which includes new offerings for areas of growth in clinical research, such as pragmatic trials and studies, and digital health solutions. The DCRI is pivoting to meet the needs of our sponsors in this new decade, and we’re excited about our future. We also remain deeply committed to our mission to develop and share knowledge through our clinical research innovation, and to our unique model of uniting the world’s top clinician/physicians with a deep bench of talented operations teams who are dedicated to our ultimate goal—improving patient care.

"From authoring THE textbook on clinical research, to becoming an MBA case study. Look elsewhere for your next job."

Former Employee - Management in Durham, NC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Duke’s 403-b employer retirement contributions are attractive. The ability to work with Duke faculty on leading edge science can be very rewarding.

Cons

#1. DCRI's rainmakers have left the building. The key faculty members who attracted profitable industry-sponsored research a decade ago are no longer with the DCRI. Without a significant mix of high-margin commercial research projects, the DCRI’s business model is not sustainable – more layoffs are inevitable. #2. Minimal investment over the past ten years in modern information technology and automation. Without a war chest to make the necessary improvements, nor an organization willing to change - the DCRI will continue to fall further behind its growing list of competitors. #3. A government heavy revenue stream is unsustainable. When the United States’ federal deficit hawks reawaken, or the current administration’s mission to de-fund spending on science reaches the NIH – the flow of government funds will dry up. Underbidding government work in order to keep the doors open is not a sound business strategy, long-term underbidding is unsustainable. #4. The DCRI naiveté. Statements like: “The DCRI launched a strategic planning effort in response to changes occurring across the clinical research industry.” Other CROs are doing very well financially and have been keeping pace with the changing market, they are hiring, not laying off. #5. The DCRI’s operating model is based on a twenty-year old direct labor pricing model. The world has changed; direct labor is no longer the primary cost driver in the age of digital research. A revenue model based solely on direct labor costs cannot make the necessary investments in technology to be competitive in the digital world - further evidence of an unsustainable business model. #6. The DCRI is a career killer. Don’t accept lower pay to get your foot in the door, you will be stuck in the same position for eternity, getting 2% annual increases for as long as you stick it out. Promotions will be very rare events in a collapsing organization.

January 29, 2020DCRI

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Understandably, we disagree with your outlook for DCRI’s future, yet we appreciate your passion. As an academic research organization (ARO), we pride ourselves on working in a mission-based institute that is shaped by more than 125 dedicated faculty who develop clinical research based on the chronic diseases they treat each day at our hospital and clinics. The world’s largest commercial pharmaceutical companies and federal health institutes rely on the DCRI as a trusted partner to lead the way—taking the first steps—in how clinical research should be done. We get to work on some of the most forward-thinking and interesting research being conducted today; we have the opportunity to test innovative methods, especially in the areas of real-word evidence and pragmatic approaches. We are especially proud of the work we do on government grants, which is some of the most rewarding work our teams get to lead. It’s in this spirit that we fully understand that an ARO is not for everyone, but it is for those who approach each day with an unwavering belief that we can change patients’ lives, no matter the challenges we face in the day-to-day design and implementation of clinical trials and studies. Finally, we’re not alone. The DCRI is a part of the Duke School of Medicine and Duke’s larger health system. This association provides great benefits and flexibility, as well as a large playing field for finding ways to advance your career. Again thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and we wish you well in your career.

"Poor Leadership"

2.0
    Former Employee - Department Head in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dedicated researchers with world class clinicians. Excellent opportunity to make a difference in research that improves health.

Cons

Poor leadership and no support from School of Medicine brass. No one held accountable when fraud occurs.

December 18, 2019DCRI

Thank you for your input. We first need to address your mention of “fraud” in your content posted on Glassdoor. Duke and the DCRI place research integrity as its top priority. Any individual having reason to believe that research misconduct has possibly occurred must report the matter to the misconduct review officer (MRO), their department chair or division chief, dean or other appropriate institutional official. The contact is Donna Kessler, Ph.D., Research Integrity Officer, Misconduct Review Officer, (919) 668-5115, donna.kessler@duke.edu. Concerns about research misconduct also can be reported through the Integrity Line at 1-800-826-8109. The Integrity Line is a telephone hotline open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. For general information on integrity in research at Duke, please also see the website dosi.duke.edu. To address your comments about leadership, we are actively engaged with our top level of leaders to improve our skills in team and client leadership. As you may have heard, the DCRI is making many improvements as part of its effort to transform for the future. We’re excited about the changes taking place here that will ensure we remain a leader in clinical research design and to ensure we continue to serve our mission each day. We are proud of our world-class physician-clinicians and the DCRI’s impact on improving health for all through innovative clinical research.

"Poor Leadership, Unclear Vision, Undervalued Staff"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute

Pros

There is a massage chair. All other perks are Duke perks, they aren’t specific to DCRI.

Cons

Poor Leadership. Every problem is solved by committee and every committee is filled with the same visionaries who drove this institution into the ground. Buzzwords are thrown around like candy from a parade float, but nothing really changes. There is no accountability among leadership for the decline of this once great institution. Unclear Vision. It is difficult to understand how this institution will innovate new clinical research methods when they struggle to execute traditional trial designs. Undervalued Staff. DCRI laid off ~100 employees this summer due to an opearating deficit and now they miraculously have the budget to hire and promote again. Meanwhile, much of the top talent have left the building. The remaining staff are treated like third-class citizens while the faculty walk on water. Only faculty are eligible for “incentives” for their “thought leadership.” Staff career development is virtually ignored. Everything the staff does is to bolster the illustrious faculty-even when they are cutting corners and don’t know what they are doing. It is the most unrewarding work environment and staff morale reflects this. Anyone who comes to work here and doesn’t heed the abysmal reviews only has themselves to blame.

January 23, 2020DCRI

Thank you for sharing your input; we hear your disappointment in your experience here. As the largest ARO in the world, and the only one with significant operational capabilities, the DCRI is unique. With that, we are keenly aware of how important it is to carefully manage our faculty and operations partnerships, recognizing that it’s the unique union of these groups that make the DCRI able to both develop the next generation of clinical research methodologies and find new paths to implement our innovative thought leadership. Sometimes, that makes for a bumpy road. But always, as we have done for the past 30+ years, we work together to deliver on sharing knowledge that changes patient care--our mission. In the past year, the DCRI has developed and is undertaking a new strategic plan, one that will assure that we continue to lead the way in bringing new ideas and methods to clinical research. Our sponsors, both federal and commercial, rely on the DCRI to do this cutting-edge work. Change is often difficult, and we are confident that our vision and strategic plan for new services and new approaches, along with faculty and staff committed to our mission, are what our sponsors, partners, and collaborators are seeking. As part of Duke, DCRI offers a robust array of traditional benefits to our employees such as medical care, dental care, retirement, time away, and flexible work options. In addition, our employees are afforded a host of learning opportunities and a wide variety of family-friendly and cultural benefits, as part of the Duke community. Again, we appreciate your input.

10. "Hard Fulfilling Work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership, work/ home life balance, benefits

Cons

Systems are a little outdated

October 30, 2019DCRI

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased to hear you are enjoying a great work/life balance and the wonderful benefits Duke has to offer. DCRI prides itself on building strong teams with leaders who believe in our mission and support their staff, we are glad to hear this has been your experience. We couldn’t agree more, listening to our employees and hearing their feedback is crucial to our mission and work we do every day to improve the lives of patients around the world by working on cutting-edge research.

Found 164 reviews