Esri Reviews

Updated 25 Jun 2020

3.6
Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond
Pros
  • "Personal and work life balance is great(in 65 reviews)

• "The company has a great benefits package and very open culture that pushes people to explore what they're interested in(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "Redlands is scorching in the summer and boring year-round(in 50 reviews)

• "Very poor pay, benefits are so-so, no career path(in 33 reviews)

1. "Awesome company / OK on the pay"

Current Employee - Credit and Collections in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than a year

Pros

lots of perks and benefits package.

Cons

there's not a lot for growth.

2. "Helpful people with great values"

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I Enjoy the entrepreneurial spirit, smart colleagues, wonderful health insurance, diversity and inclusion initiative and learning something new every day.

Cons

Not much vertical movement, create your own career path, but some guidance coming soon on this.

3. "Good company"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good focus on customers and good benefits for employees.

Cons

Management practices vary widely in different parts of the company.

Continue reading
  4. "Great for Entry Level into GIS"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing environment and culture, people are always willing to help and I feel like I fit in even with such diverse personalities. There's opportunities for involvement in the company and community outside of your day to day job (think teambuilding, GeoMentoring, sustainability, outreach). Job security, technical and personal training opportunities, and more challenging/rewarding than many entry level GIS jobs. Tuition reimbursement is also great.

Cons

- No negotiation on pay - Bad apples are there to stay in all positions which really discourages people who are truly trying and working hard to stay motivated since others can get by with less than the bare minimum - Internal movement takes forever, and is sometimes discouraged - Some depts are better than others at transparency and employee feedback

5. "Esri Employee Job Review"

5.0
    Current Employee - Product Engineer

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly environment and culture. You get to work on different aspect of the product.

Cons

Work might at times feel repeatitive. Limited scope on learning anything outside of the product.

6. "About Company"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities, good pay and great benefits. Reasonable work life balance. The work done has noticeable use and impact in the world.

Cons

Nothing much to share here

7. COVID-19

"one-of-a-kind company and culture"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Content Producer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is a company doing very important work for the world. For GIS people, Esri is ground zero. The Redlands campus has the highest concentration of GIS intelligence on the planet. But it's also a global company with a footprint in virtually every country in the world. This is a smart, fun, interesting, and interested collection of people. ArcGIS products set the industry standards literally. If you've got the skills and like to work hard, the pay can be quite good. Not Silicon Valley level pay, but pretty darn good and getting more competitive. Cost of living in Redlands is half of Santa Clara, if that. Redlands is a nice little town, detached enough from the So Cal megalopolis to feel separate. Palm Springs, mountains, beaches all close by. The COVID situation has proven that this company cares about employees. We have actually pivoted beautifully to remote work. Jack and Laura Dangermond are titans of the tech world, but also conservationists (look up Dangermond Preserve). One last thing: this place is financially rock solid. In an age of venture capital and fly-by-night startups, this company is privately held, has zero debt, and growing steadily for decades into a multi-billion dollar concern. Business schools should study how this place is run.

Cons

Upper management is well entrenched, which is only a con for middle managers trying to break into the inner circle.

Continue reading

"Pay close attention to the negative reviews"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than a year

Pros

The products and how it is used throughout the world is significant. A positive experience can be had, but depends heavily on your manager and team.

Cons

The negative reviews about the old guard are completely true. The culture at Esri can be outright toxic and hostile. While there are some truly amazing and inspiring people that work here, they are quickly drowned out by those that are manipulative and completely self-serving. If you are considering working here then know that HR at Esri DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CONCERNS. They truly are there to only represent the company, and care very little about mitigating or representing anything you may be concerned about. They will not get involved at all to try to improve things, but play defense only. It is not impossible to have a positive experience here, but you may find yourself wondering why it should be so hard to do so. Just remember to be careful with who you trust, and question everything that you're told about how the work gets done.

9. "User Driven"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Life and work balance. Research potential

Cons

Flat organization structure, poor immigration policies

10. "Great benefits, but bad management."

2.0
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Esri full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits and decent pay.

Cons

If you want to succeed in this position you have to work long hours (minimum 45 hours a week if you want to hit metrics- and that's if the technology comes easy to you). During your first week of training, they mention if you are in this position for more than a few years you will get burnt out, which is true. If you want to move up in the company, it is very competitive. Management is poor and can be a bit shady due to lack of transparency and communication. It is challenging to succeed here, and it can be a "boys club".

Esri Response

May 28, 2020Esri

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback. Results-based metrics are used to ensure support analysts are clear on expectations and can continue to deliver superior service to our customers. Team members receive mentorship and a variety of training opportunities to support them in achieving their goals. We understand these metrics can be challenging; however, they have enabled our employees to excel in their work. We recognize feedback is important to an employee’s career development and growth, and we will work with the management team on how to improve our feedback and coaching practices. Best wishes in your new career endeavor.

Found 642 reviews