Foxtons Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.3
Foxtons CEO Nic Budden
Nic Budden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The hard work you put in at this company ultimately benefits you" (in 25 reviews)

• "Great people and training given" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "very long hours with working saturdays" (in 83 reviews)

• "Long working hours is the major disadvantage however it pays off at the end" (in 29 reviews)

1. "Lettings"

Former Employee - Lettings Negotiator
    Former Employee - Lettings Negotiator

I worked at Foxtons full-time

Pros

Company Incentives: Car, Phone and Laptop

When you decide to hand in your notice: they just dismiss you on the day instead of working the week or however long they decide because in a directors exacts words ‘you won’t get me anything out of the notice anyway, so you should just leave.’

The training was very good, although it was very intense for one week, a lot to take in.

Cons

Here is an honest review.
    The first time I joined a Foxtons, it felt like a great and super exciting company to work for In terms of commission structure and company culture. As im an enthusiastic, positive person with high energy. This was probably one of the worst company’s to have joined. You could sense the bad energy and very nosey people around you.

Got to front office, shadowed for a week and was learning all the processes and how the structure is day to day. What you then realise is, they depict this great image of working together as a company and a team. But really they’ll throw you under the bus if it doesn’t benefit them. You always have to watch you back, even if you’re in the same team.

Considering it’s a sales environment, you can have friendly work competition. But playing colleagues against each other just demonstrates that this company is full of ‘dream sellers’. And also, creates a lot of uncomfortable tension and hate.

Once you’ve left, everyone in front office will use your leave as a source of gossip and a topic of every discussion, because if you have the confidence to SPEAK UP about how you feel, it’s frowned upon because senior managers and directors EGO’s get bruised, therefore they’ll just dismiss you there and then. Even if you’re courteous enough to still Be accommodating, they’ll treat you like nothing and replace you anyway. That’s why they have a high staff turnover.

This company does not depict corporate or professional, it’s just an image where estate agents hide behind to look like a big shot company.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better, and allow your staff to have a voice.
    There is a lot of favouritism and no room for real recognition of progress.
    Just because you have a senior position, does not allow you to be intimidating to your staff. That is not leadership.

2. "A great foot in the door but beware"

Former Employee - Lettings Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Lettings Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Foxtons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Great training
    * Genuinely enthusiastic, knowledgeable, passionate impressive people to work with
    * Class leading use of technology to make your job as easy as possible. Essentially a lot of tasks that distract you from making more sales are highly automated leaving you free to earn plenty of commission

Cons

* Staff are often over worked and underappreciated
    * Working hours are too long with no flexibility
    * Staff turnover is enormous, my entire team left several times over in twelve months

Advice to Management

Adding in a little flexibility with working hours would go a long way to retaining a few staff. Perhaps giving half a day off in lieu when a weekend is worked would help

"Office Coordinator"

Former Employee - Office Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Office Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Foxtons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being an office coordinator at foxtons is a good 'first step' job, it will enable you to get some office experience, and other companies will respect that you worked for Foxtons in interviews.

Cons

No work/life balance. They are perfectly happy to screw you over, and a situation has to be at its worse before management will step in.

Advice to Management

Just because someone earns an office money, it does not mean they have be aggressive and abusive to other employees - it should have been dealt with straight away, properly.

"Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Foxtons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing money, opportunities and progression

Cons

Working hours were quite long

Advice to Management

None

5. "Long hours - little pay"

Former Employee - Negotiator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Negotiator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Foxtons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some people were amazing. It sometimes can be a fun environment.

Cons

The hours were over 60-65hours a week with a shockingly low basic salary.
    You can make good money with commission but not worth the hours you put in. It worked out to be below minimum wage.
    A very micro managed environment. Felt like I was back at school.

Advice to Management

Reduce the hours of work just like your competitors and ease up on the micromanagemt. Then people might think about staying.

6. "For the hardworking and ambitious"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chiswick, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chiswick, England (UK)

I have been working at Foxtons full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hard work and dedication are rewarded with competitive commission and promotion.
    Company promotes from within.
    Diverse workforce, in terms of age, gender, race and orientation.
    "Work hard, play hard."
    Constant support at every level, even within competitive sales forces.

Cons

Sales roles aren't for everyone.
    You will need to constantly challenge yourself to succeed.

Advice to Management

Employee surveys and consultation are great; more of these please. It's good to feel that decisions at the top are being made with the front-line staff in mind.

24 Jan 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience of life at Foxtons! If there are any further areas you think we could improve please don't wait for the next employee engagement survey - reach out to the People... More

7. "Excellent environment to succeed in"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Foxtons full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I started I had no experience in the industry. Even then training was second to none. Since then training has improved beyond recognition and continues to improve as the industry changes. One of the best reasons to work for the company is that it is a true meritocracy. You will not be overlooked for a role if you work hard, have the correct attitude and produce results. The environment is fun to work in and over the years I have met a number of people whom I can genuinely call friends for life.

Cons

The long hours are not for everyone but the rewards outstrip the sacrifice.

24 Jan 2019

At Foxtons we are so incredibly proud of our welcoming, inclusive, and friendly culture so thank you for highlighting it as part of your review.

Laura Kuth
    Head of Learning & Development

8. "Still the the number one destination for a career in property."

Current Employee - Director in Balham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Balham, England (UK)

I have been working at Foxtons full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A true meritocracy with an abundance of roles to find success in.

Cons

You get out what you put in.

Well said!

"Good learning experienence"

Pros

Great place to learn and build a foundation of knowledge

Cons

The hours are terrible, the pay isn't fantastic, it is micromanaged and there isn't much variation in the day

24 Jan 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It is great to see that you benefitted from our industry-leading training and development. We are sorry to hear that you didn't manage to take advantage... More

10. "Foxtons"

I have been working at Foxtons full-time

Pros

Having worked at Foxtons for almost 12 years, I can safely say that I work for a great organisation. I had no knowledge of property or real estate, Foxtons took me on and almost 12 years on and still learning and growing as my career progresses. Working at Foxtons will not just give you a job, you'll get a career. The ongoing training and development becomes part of your progression. All of this as well as being in a fun filled environment.

Cons

Not everyone that come through have the same drive and determination.

Advice to Management

Apply Yourself. Lead by Example. Have faith in your people

24 Jan 2019

Congratulations on what sounds like a highly successful and rewarding 12 year career at London's leading estate agent!

Laura Kuth