G Adventures Reviews

Updated 1 Aug 2020

3.9
G Adventures Founder Bruce Poon Tip
Bruce Poon Tip
Pros
  • "The company culture is like nothing I've experienced in any other job(in 20 reviews)

• "and we really do live and breathe our Core Values every day(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "If FAMs are meant to compensate for low pay, let those who don't travel claim the cash value instead(in 22 reviews)

• "The people were what made G Adventures a great place to work, alongside our core values(in 17 reviews)

"Positive Enviroment"

Former Employee - Global Connection Officer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at G Adventures full-time for less than a year

Pros

G adventures has a positive culture you work with supportive and like minded colleagues The company really tries to get to know you as a person and what drives you so that they can support your growth management do a good job at trying to make everyone happy.

Cons

Base salary is a little low but target bonuses are good during high season. Extroverted people have a higher chance of growth and are given more opportunities.

2. COVID-19

"A vibrant place to work with room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anononymous

I have been working at G Adventures full-time

Pros

G Adventures has been one of my favourite companies to work for. I do feel that some reviewers on here are disgruntled about being permanently laid off due to the current economic conditions and travel restrictions. In saying that, there are certainly things that can be improved at the company, particularly their handling of the crisis with their employees and unfortunately, a lot of the benefits listed below do not apply in the current working environment so the work for the pay really isn’t worth it. - You know those offices you walk into that are buzzing and people genuinely seem to want to be there? That is what it felt like at G. The offices are quirky, fun and vibrant with regular free food and drinks - Surrounded by passionate people who love travel and are very friendly - Company is guided by their core values, which are a key focus from onboarding, training and throughout your work (however, see second con below). It is rewarding working for a company with a clear purpose - Opportunity to be involved in different projects and teams that are of interest to you, including exchange opportunities with other offices - Potential to do a famil trip, leadership and connection camps and travel to other offices (although these are very limited if you’re new) - There is a focus on learning and development, with a wonderful learning platform - Friday beer o clock, team days, rewards and recognition - Flexible working culture – this has significantly improved and G implemented a policy before COVID-19. I assume this will continue to further improve into the future

Cons

- The pay: Pay does not compare to other companies or industries and I find it baffling with my level of responsibilities how little I was paid. I asked Talent (HR) about the so called ‘salary audit’ that was meant to be happening as a ‘representative’ of G Adventures commented on some posts on Glassdoor and they didn’t know anything about it. I never heard anything about a pay audit happening when I worked there. The benefits of working at G adventures are really meant to offset the poor pay however, not everyone has access to these benefits, particularly if you’ve worked there less than a year. With travel being currently off the table, there are currently little to no benefits when you’re working from home - Handling of COVID-19 layoffs: The current situation is completely unprecedented, and no one could have predicted the severity of what was to happen. It is inevitable that there were going to be redundancies and other actions in the travel industry. However, I really believe the people aspect of this could have been (and still could be) significantly improved. What is most disappointing is the lack of communication and support from senior leadership. I still haven’t heard a single thing from the senior leader in my team since I’ve left G Adventures amongst many others in my office and other offices around the world. For all the work that has been put in from those staff over the years, this is incredibly disappointing. Not even a message to say ‘Thanks for everything over the years, I know this is a challenging time but please reach out if you need anything’ or ‘How are you doing?’. The people were what made G Adventures a great place to work, alongside our core values. However, both of these seem to have been forgotten recently - Official communication from G Adventures over this challenging period has been sparse. Those who been furloughed or stood down have received nothing from the company (except the initially letter from talent). This could have been a great chance to keep the workforce engaged and share learning opportunities with them, however there hasn’t been any of that - I feel there are some legacy employees in senior leadership who really need to work on their communication and empathy, especially demonstrated in the current crisis - Long hours are very common, it’s almost expected that you will work late. It would be great if senior leaders could lead by example and leave work on time (when possible) - Technology and systems: the systems have the potential to be truly amazing and some of the times they were. During my time however, issues in systems were commonplace and support was extremely slow or not able to provide a fix. I feel that the technology team was under-supported or lacked resources

3. "Great people"

Current Employee - Global Connection Officer in Adelaide

I have been working at G Adventures full-time

Pros

Amazing company ethos and staff are incredible

Cons

Minimal room for career growth

"Work with a purpose"

Current Employee - Marketing in Melbourne

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at G never feels like 'work' I am genuinely excited to go to work most days and am motivated to promote our product because I believe it is genuinely the best in the world. Changing people's lives through travel is the core of our business and I love everything that we do to achieve this!

Cons

Pay could be better but I'm happy so I don't realllly care

September 18, 2019Coordinator, Global Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

5. "Young and Fun Company"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at G Adventures full-time

Pros

- Get to meet many amazing people from all around the globe - Truly feel like you are making a difference in the world - Very fun and vibrant office culture - Travel perks- discounted tours and flights

Cons

- EXTREMELY LOW PAY- do not expect to have much discretionary income whilst you work here - There are many internal systems issues that make you appear unprofessional to clients and make it hard to do your job to the best of your ability - The level of career advancement opportunities that exist in other travel companies do not exist at G Adventures

March 1, 2019Coordinator, Global Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We are conscious salary is a concern and we have plans to complete a salary audit across the business to ensure all salaries are fair and competitive in both the travel and vertical industries.

6. "Call Centre sales"

GCO- Global Connections Officer in Southbank

I worked at G Adventures for less than a year

Pros

Awesome team environment Strong focus on staff enjoying their workspace Beer o’clock on Fridays Team activities

Cons

Global phone line and rude North American clients Felt like a call centre and expectations were to answer 40+ calls per day Salary is low

November 27, 2018Coordinator, Global Talent

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. We are conscious salary is a concern and we have plans to complete a salary audit across the business to ensure all salaries are fair and competitive in both the travel and vertical industries. We hope you're doing well in your new role!

7. "Engaging and Purpose Driven Company"

Current Employee - GPS in Sydney

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company includes Happiness within their P&L bottomline, a massive focus on having a higher purpose and changing people's lives through travel, engaging culture, FOC trip incentives, lots of opportunities for personal development and growth.

Cons

Being global it can sometimes take a while to receive work tools such as phone upgrades, uniforms, and flyer / design approval.

May 30, 2018Coordinator, Global Talent

We appreciate you taking the time to comment as we do value all feedback!

8. "Global Purpose Specialist"

Current Employee - Global Purpose Specialist, QLD in Brisbane

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Freedom and Flexibility to succeed and enjoy the rewards a company with a soul you can believe in Very focussed on the Employee, who then focusses on the customer. A place for a Vocation, not an occupation

Cons

Loads of ideas - lots to get your head around Very different to other companies - not many transferrable skills for similar roles, so perhaps not for the unmotivated - you have to be VERY motivated at G to succeed

May 30, 2018Coordinator, Global Talent

Thank you for your comment. We're happy to see that you been with G for a few years and have had a positive experience!

9. "I’ve found a unicorn; G Adventures"

Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Melbourne

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was looking for an industry I love, and a company that invests in its people, and a role that could help me change the world. I thought it wasn’t possible; then I found G adventures. They give so many opportunities to learn and develop my skills. They live by their values, which align to my own personal values. Everyday, I love what I do. I love the people I work with. I love what the company stands for.

Cons

We have so many ideas and the opportunity to do them, it’s hard to pick which ones to do first.

May 29, 2018Talent Partner, North America

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback. We're so pleased to hear that G has provided you with exactly what you've been looking for!

10. "A great place to work!"

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A cultural engaged company that gives back to the local communities it travels to! You get to work with like minded, engaged people that love coming to working everyday. If you work hard and do you part this company will reward you and give you opportunities. I feel so proud to have a level of autonomy and freedom of expression in my role but to also be surrounded by some incredible supporting mentors.

Cons

Travel is not a high paid job but that's known industry wide and what G Adventures do in lieu of this with other opportunities is incredible. Working for a company with great people, the fact you love what you do and are working towards something greater is really hard to come buy. It's not for everyone but if you're happy to make compromises to work for an incredible company then its's worth it. A lot of people join places and expect that they 'deserve' opportunities by just turning up to work and doing your job, if that's what you want and you don't want to contribute more or make more of a difference then this isn't the place for you.

May 29, 2018Talent Partner, North America

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We glad to hear that it's been a positive experience for you!

Found 198 reviews