GATX Reviews

4.1
GATX Chairman, President, and CEO Brian A. Kenney
Brian A. Kenney
Pros
Cons
  • "Some old-school management styles (i(in 3 reviews)

1. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GATX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management genuinely cares about employees, strong focus on career development and great opportunities to volunteer and give back to the community.

Cons

No employer is perfect, but there aren't any significant cons of working at GATX.

2. "Good job"

Former Employee - Rail Car Finisher in Colton, CA

I worked at GATX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Union shop good culture and safety

Cons

Politics And grooming for promotions

3. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GATX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work-from-home policy, constantly updating work procedures, very community-centered departments

Cons

Difficult to get to know people outside of the departments you work with

4. "Working at GATX"

Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at GATX full-time

Pros

Amazingly stable and well run company

Cons

None that I can think of

5. "Great place to work as a welder"

Current Employee - Car Repairman in Waycross, GA

I have been working at GATX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work as a car repairman at GATX in Waycross Ga. I replace tank car part, repair existing part, and fab when needed. I have never worked a job I enjoy more than the one I do now. It’s a good old boy environment, but the people I work with are some of the best people I’ve even worked with. Good pay and great benefits. The management could improve due to the conflict between union and GATX corporate employees. Some people take advantage of working for a union too far, wile corporate employees kinda have there hands tied. Other than that it’s a great place to work and I enjoy going to work every day.

Cons

Seniority is king due to the way jobs are bid regardless of skill level of employees bidding on said job.

Continue reading

"Terrible, Don't Work Here"

1.0
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at GATX full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. Well, I guess some of the other younger employees are cool. Well, until they figure out that they have no chance of upward mobility and leave the company.

Cons

It's a good ole boys' club; while the culture as a whole seems good on the surface, there is virtually no room for growth as a junior employee unless you brown-nose senior management. Senior management is made up entirely of men over 50; in a cynical display of how stagnant and nepotistic this organization is, during my tenure there they "restructured" senior management by simply having every executive play musical chairs and rotate over to a new executive position. In fact, I only remember 2 people above the Director level who were women/minorities; for a large publicly traded corporation this is inexcusable. The group that I worked for (details omitted out of legitimate fear of retaliation, as the next few sentences will explain) is run by a maniacal tyrant. Any and all independent thought is suppressed; you are expected to come to your desk, sit like a robot for 9 hours without getting up to even use the bathroom or eat, and you are not allowed to have contact with other departments unless it is with a senior executive, since more junior employees are seen by the manager as being beneath him. If you express independent thought, you are shut down immediately and thereafter put in a position to fail; the manager holds grudges that last your entire tenure. Another member of my team was heavily berated for asking a coworker in the adjacent department a basic question. Leaving even one minute early (even to go a company event) gets you yelled at and publicly chewed out in a group meeting multiple times. Taking vacation is heavily discouraged; if you do take vacation, the manager makes sure to assign critical work and call you during your vacation time (I was sent threatening texts for having the audacity to take a day off for my own mother's birthday). No training is provided; in fact, we were explicitly forbidden from bothering the senior members of the group with questions. Older employees actively throw younger employees under the bus to protect their skins, even when they make a lazy mistake that gets you in trouble. If you step away from your desk to work at one of the specifically designated "quiet rooms", even for 30 minutes, you are harshly berated. The manager is even generous enough to hang your salary over your head whenever he is displeased (which is all the time), regularly telling you that "you're paid too much to be this worthless." What a lovely fellow, I tell you. During group meetings the manager would regularly make disparaging, even borderline sexist and discriminatory remarks about employees in other departments, then tell us to "make sure this doesn't leave this room." The manager, meanwhile, takes 8-10 weeks of vacation a year, shows up for maybe 4 hours a day, and spends that time watching videos on full volume and taking personal calls, almost to make a point of how important he is compared to younger employees. And on top of that, this person also unironically (as if someone like him is capable of irony) uses comic sans in all of his business correspondences. This laundry list is frankly only a small fraction of the appalling behavior that I witnessed in just over a year at this company. While the group that I worked in was particularly awful, a similar mentality is visible across the company. This is a stagnant, decaying carcass of an organization, with a stock price only propped up because the executives can convince their fellow good ol' boy buddies at the investment funds to continue holding the stock (the company is almost entirely owned by institutional investors). If you're a younger employee or someone with any ambition whatsoever, stay far, far away.

7. "Great workplace"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at GATX full-time

Pros

Great company values and vision

Cons

Headquartered in US so less opportunity in Canada

8. "Great Work Place"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GATX full-time for less than a year

Pros

GATX offers a lot of room for growth and development. There are many ways to get involved within the organization and in the community. The benefits package is extremely good and it shows they care about their employees. Everyone is friendly and the Chicago office is beautiful.

Cons

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Manager in Hearne, TX

I have been working at GATX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Large company with plenty of mobility. They promote based on work ethic and skill, so it is possible to climb the ranks from a skilled labor position.

Cons

Some locations are rural so be prepared

Continue reading

"Good, stable company to work for - I really enjoy my job here."

Current Employee - Field Service Representative

I have been working at GATX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent health insurance, dental, vision Lots of paid vacation time Management works with my schedule Freedom to work without someone looking over my shoulder Annual incentive bonus - not huge but still appreciated

Cons

A bit behind on technology Not a lot of options for advancement unless you are willing to relocate Christmas bonus is very small for a company this size Seems that certain departments are treated as after-thoughts

Found 54 reviews