Guru Studio Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.9
Guru Studio CEO Frank Falcone
Frank Falcone
Pros
Cons
  • "Low salary compared to other studios(in 7 reviews)

• "Utterly dysfunctional upper management, as demonstrated by the constant turnover in the senior ranks(in 3 reviews)

1. "Amazing Studio"

Current Employee - 3D Animator

I have been working at Guru Studio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent work/life balance, great culture, cute projects, amazing team leaders, a strong group of artists, free snacks! , awesome work parties/ events, full benefits.

Cons

Sometimes projects are behind schedule but that's kind of just the nature of the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Guru Studio2019-09-19

"Great Studio All Around"

Current Employee - 3D Animator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Guru Studio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This studio is perfect for new animators to get their feet wet in the industry. The mentor ship offered to new animators is amazing (feed back fridays/master classes). The studio looks at your goals as an artist and helps create a path for you to get there. They also understand work life balance allowing flex hours, because of this i was able to continue on with post grad studies on the side. Work is constant and... stable on most shows. - Amazing / diverse projects -Flex Hours -Mentor ship and growth -Safe stable work -Good benefits

Cons

Pay is lower then most studios but its evened out by good projects and stable work.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on allowing artist to grow within your studio.

Guru Studio2019-07-15
  3. "Very Happy to Work Here"

Current Employee - Designer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Guru Studio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the artist that craves longevity, Guru is a great place to work. Employees tend to stick around for a while. Which is comforting for those who worry about where their next contract is coming from. Guru tries to promote from within, and allow artists new opportunities to grow, or just hop onto a new project. The studio is very community minded. People are friendly, and the company takes part in a lot of... moral boosting social activities. Like participating in sports together, parties, show screenings and snack days. They also provide benefits and flexible hours.

Cons

The biggest downside of Guru is the smaller paycheck. However, the job security and benefits can out-way this depending on what your priorities are.

Guru Studio2019-07-19

"Creative and Artist Driven Studio"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I worked at Guru Studio full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Creativity and storytelling are front and center. - Highly ambitious in their approach to creating just about anything - aim for the stars! - As a result, some of your best work will come out of this studio. - You get to work on a wide range of products across television, games and film. - 99% of marketing initiatives are managed and executed in-house: from designing merchandise to putting together a live show..., you get to do it all. - Cross functional collaboration! Unlike other studios, at Guru, you get to collaborate directly with producers and artists on marketing related initiatives. - The people are highly talented and super friendly, your coworkers will inspire you every day.

Cons

- There should be as much focus on the people as there is on the amazing brands that come out of the studio

Advice to Management

Empower middle management. Discourage micromanagement. Offer thoughtful career path plans. Summer hours?

Guru Studio2019-06-22

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - 3D Modeler in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Guru Studio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the flexible hours, talented team, management is nice.

Cons

Communication is really really bad, there is always an in-between person before the info gets to you, management and directors never speak directly to the team. Pay is also very low, if you do your research Guru pays one of the lowest salaries in this field downtown.

Advice to Management

Break the divide that there is between the people who do the work and the people who make the decisions. It’s a terrible shame that I’ve never ever spoken to the director. Also a ton of people including myself have decided to leave recently and maybe people in management don’t know, but amongst us, it’s really a lot to do with pay among other factors.

Guru Studio2019-07-03

July 19, 2019Director of People and Culture

We’re sorry to hear you felt communication needed improvement and wished that you had raised this concern while at Guru. Our Producers have regular meetings with their teams to update them on what’s going on. With regards to pay, we’re always trying to stay competitive in the market and frequently review our rates to ensure they remain competitive. Thank you for your feedback!

"Good Company"

Former Employee - 3D Artist in Toronto, ON

I worked at Guru Studio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company and flexible hours.

Cons

Not too many.There are new productions starting all the time so you can jump from one contract to the next.

Guru Studio2019-05-29

July 19, 2019Director of People and Culture

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed working at Guru. We’re always inspired by the creativity and positivity of our artists!

"This is a good company ,but salary is low."

Former Employee - 3D Artist

I worked at Guru Studio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good environment, nice location, flexible working hours and a few very skilled of co-workers

Cons

Production needs to be more organised.

Guru Studio2018-12-28

March 1, 2019People & Culture Manager

We’re happy you enjoyed working at Guru and appreciated the culture we’ve worked hard to create for our studio! We take great pride in meeting our production deadlines and we’re always ready to listen to new ideas from smart people about how we can improve our process.

"Story Artist"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Guru Studio full-time

Pros

Sometimes the projects can be interesting. There are a variety of talents there.

Cons

Unstable contracts, workload is enormous.

Guru Studio2018-10-19

March 1, 2019People & Culture Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Contracts are structured based on project needs but we always try our very best to provide long-term contracts for our employees. Many of our artists have been at Guru for years - some over a decade, migrating from contract to contract and enjoying the same benefits, pay raises and security of a full-time employee. Work/life balance is extremely important to us and we encourage everyone at the studio to speak up if they’re having any issues managing their time.

"Not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Guru Studio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed environment and the work isn’t too challenging or stressful. Nice offices in a good location with lots of good lunch options. Friendly staff.

Cons

All preschool shows and they don’t push the quality very far. If you want to get a job at a top flight studio you’ll need to do your own work at home. Decisions are often made on the cheap. Office only has one washroom per floor.

Advice to Management

The business seems to be a successful business. Keep it up

Guru Studio2018-10-21

November 26, 2018People & Culture Manager

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your time at Guru and we agree that the people here are great! We really enjoy creating stories for children and their families, but we're always taking on different kinds of projects that present new and exciting challenges for our Artists.

10. "3D Animator"

Current Employee - 3D Animator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Guru Studio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good People , Good environment

Cons

I don't see any cons

Guru Studio2018-03-07

March 13, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased to hear you enjoy working at Guru. We’re always inspired by the creativity and positivity of our artists!

Found 38 reviews