Inter-American Development Bank Reviews

3.6
Inter-American Development Bank President Luis Alberto Moreno
Luis Alberto Moreno
Pros
Cons
  • "If you a consultant forget about getting a staff position(in 25 reviews)

• "No benefits (health, retirement, etc(in 16 reviews)

1. "Overall, a good place to work."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Inter-American Development Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly work environment. Staff association is very active.

Cons

Few opportunities for career progression. Knowledge of Spanish language is required.

2. "Nice people"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Inter-American Development Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pleasant work environment. There is also a gym in the building.

Cons

There is no way to grow as a consultant.

June 16, 2020Sourcing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and we are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. All of our career opportunities are posted on our Careers website and are accessible to everyone. Our Human Resources Department revises each application carefully. We invite you to apply for any position you are interested in.

3. "Improving Life"

5.0
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Inter-American Development Bank full-time

Pros

Help improve the life and well-being of the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.

Cons

There is noting wrong working in this magnificent institution

June 16, 2020Sourcing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We work every day to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean and strive to offer a rewarding positive experience for all our employees.

"Great opportunity to truly improve lives in the Latin America and Caribbean Region!"

5.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Inter-American Development Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great organizational culture with highly motivated staff.

Cons

More diversity needed at HQ, as Afro-descendants and the differently-abled are under-represented, as well as very few non-native Spanish speakers.

May 26, 2020Sourcing

"Underpayed for the market"

2.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Inter-American Development Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Impactfull work in the development sector

Cons

You are going far less than your market value and an untransparent bureaucracy

June 16, 2020Sourcing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. At the IDB, we work every day to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. We are a trusted partner of governments, NGOs, startups, and other stakeholders who also work for the region. We must maintain our rigorous standards to fulfill our purpose successfully.

"Pleasant environment but no proffesional progression"

Former Employee - Business Partner in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Inter-American Development Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly work environment no career advancement

Cons

If you a consultant forget about getting a staff position

May 26, 2020Sourcing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. At the IDB, we care about our employees’ career development. We offer international experience, with more than 25 offices in Latin America and the Caribbean. We also help employees get better at their jobs, offering a wide-range of trainings year-round and promotions are based on competitive processes, accessible to everyone.

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Economic Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Good exposure to top professionals in economics and international development. Great for non-US citizens or residents.

Cons

Too bureaucratic, little chance of growth within the institution.

May 12, 2020Sourcing

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members. At the IDB, we work every day to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. We are a trusted partner of governments, NGOs, startups, and other stakeholders who also work for the region. We must maintain our rigorous standards to fulfill our purpose successfully.

8. "improving lives"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Inter-American Development Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed my time working there, in general the people are really nice.

Cons

There is a slow career progression

May 12, 2020Sourcing

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your input and we are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. We hope that what you enjoyed the most at IDB is being surrounded by people who love what they do and are passionate about improving lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. We also care about how we can make our employees better at their jobs, and we offer different types of training that are available year-round.

9. "This is a great institution if you are into social development"

Current Employee - IT Data Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Inter-American Development Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a medium-sized institution that has characteristics of a regular bank but also as a International organization It could be a great platform to move to others IFI's The salaries are good and it allows you to go further in your academic goals The employees come from all the 28 countries that are the board members They have a diverse projects portfolio and it focuses on country development areas They have financial products for the public and private sector The work areas are good, the common and shared areas are great for teamwork. They have art galleries and events to promote the culture of the country members. They provide you with a special work visa (G4) They have 4 official languages: Spanish, English, Portuguese and French. The employees have a very good academic level The permanent employees have good benefits, including travel to their native countries, support for their college education, health insurance, and others.

Cons

Difficult to make a career. The limitation for permanent positions is a big problem The work visa provided by the institution only works for a few other organizations It's a very political institution, bureaucratic and slow organization. The benefit differences between staff (permanent employees) and contractual employees are big. It's only possible to work as a contractual employee for a 3 years period once in a lifetime.

May 12, 2020Sourcing

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Working at the IDB is a complete international experience. We have 48 member countries, and we are proud of this. Our diversity allows us to understand different realities, know new flavors, and even learn a language, as we have four official languages at the Bank: Spanish, English, French, and Portuguese. At the IDB, we care about our employees’ career development. We offer international experience, with more than 25 offices in Latin America and the Caribbean.

10. "Great place to build up a career in the LAC region"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Inter-American Development Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary is very competitive, flexible schedule, professional growth

Cons

Consultants don't get many options to become staff

Found 229 reviews