Kit and Ace Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.7
Paul Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "When the first set of lay offs happened, the management team had to work every day, all day" (in 8 reviews)

• "Shop Director was very select about her team; it seemed like if you followed her without question, you'd be taken care of otherwise not so much" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Good while it lasted"

I have been working at Kit and Ace full-time

Pros

Was a great, innovative product. Worked with a fun team. Occasionally received free product. I also felt that everyone was there to really make a go of it with the exception of a couple bad eggs.

Cons

Being fired via Instagram.

2. "Billion dollar business"

I worked at Kit and Ace part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous staff discount on product and above parr hourly pay rate. Cool fit outs of shops and initially a very endearing business

Cons

-constant changes to processes
    -staff are expected to partake in so many cocurricular activities, often with no clear objectives. Ie events with no clear message.
    -broken promises in regards to career progression.
    -rapidly decreasing staff redundancy with no warning. Leaving many employees to feel that all their efforts in trying to create or work towards something were a waste of time, energy and passion and therefore redundant. Lacks integrity in regards to consistency and honouring promises.

Advice to Management

Honour promises and agreements made.
    Pay up expenses that staff are owed to be reimbursed.
    Consider the affect of their rapid and frequent 'restructures, we are people who have eaten slept and breathed Kit and Ace and have helped create the brand's (now disintegrating) culture and have been so passionate to fhe cause. Once again we are not just numbers, we are people with bills to pay, children to feed and all the while we are also trying to uphold some form of stability at home.
    Remember everytime there was an event, training night, mindfulness wil session we were giving up our personal time for the overarching goal of your "billion dollar business by 2020"

"Sinking ship!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Pros

The team I worked in was only 6 people, we were lucky as the entire team felt like family. Great discounts for full-time (60% off), flexible working hours and fun activations.

Cons

- Our Australian showroom was closed in one day after we found out on Instagram that morning!
    - This company preached so much about integrity and transparency and then has the decency to do this to their loyal staff - it blows my mind.
    - Has no direction with the product, target market, and locations.
    - Slowly implemented changes to become a clone of Lululemon. It was super obvious to staff and customers, it just wasn't working.
    - It's not surprising they went out of business in 3 countries, they amount of money they wasted on the most irrelevant things was crazy. The salaries were way too high for what staff were actually doing/responsible for, they implemented multiple shop-fit outs, replaced 60 stores worth of hangers and all the mannequins in the company. The old mannequins and hangers were thrown away! Most of the new hangers & mannequins stayed in the backroom in boxes because we didn't need them anyway.
    - Enforced programs like Landmark even if you had preexisting mental health conditions.
    - Created a cult-like culture and favouritised those that contributed.

Advice to Management

Don't fire your staff over Instagram. Practice what you preach and what goes around comes around.

"A Let Down"

I worked at Kit and Ace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great people to work with, good opportunity to learn new skills, a lot of great events.

Cons

The management team is very young with little experience which definitely had a negative effect on the rest of the team. After months of being told that there would be career progression and acting in the role I was meant to progress to the company restructured. Kit and Ace talks a big talk about how they are people focused but it is just not there. Very excited to be on board with this brand but was very much let down.

Advice to Management

Please hire experienced management teams at the shop level who can lead your business to success. The product needs an upgrade as the pieces don't seem to hit the mark on a number of occasions. Follow through with your vision and reward employees based on merit. The biggest thing I would suggest is having upper level management speak to shop employees who can give you an actual picture of what the management team in their shop is actually accomplishing- you'd be surprised.

5. "Could Have Been Amazing"

I worked at Kit and Ace (More than a year)

Pros

Meet new, interesting and creative people

Cons

HQ did not listen to the needs of individual employers or take in consideration of the different markets shops would be expanding into and how they differentiate from one another.

6. "Company still struggling to find its way. However the dedicated and talented staff are working hard to find its niche."

I worked at Kit and Ace full-time

Pros

- Great staff and company culture
    - Excellent fitness benefits
    - Good discount on product
    - High standards in product integrity and display

Cons

- Young company competing against established brands
    - Still controversial after mass layoffs

Advice to Management

- Better communication about company direction to all employees
    - Improve on communication integrity regarding career prospects within company

7. "High stress, constant change"

I worked at Kit and Ace full-time

Pros

Amazing job perks like snacks and fitness classes

Cons

Contradicting information given by the heads of the company, made it stressful and difficult to create quality work. It was chaos.

8. "Interesting when in high growth phase"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Kit and Ace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-company grew extremely fast, and with that came an abundance of interesting work, growth opportunities for current employees, and overall great scope of challenging work
    - Hiref lots of smart, driven people
    - Culture was one of autonomy, and relative amount of trust granted to employees (in comparison to larger, less progressive organizations)
    - opportunity to build a brand

Cons

- The company went through many iterations of brand development and strategy, thus affecting org structures and talent needs during the 3 years of rapid growth. This made for a relatively unstable and unpredictable environment for employees.

9. "Head Office"

I worked at Kit and Ace full-time

Pros

-Ability to learn from a growing brand
    -Fast paced
    -Focus on personal development and goal setting

Cons

-Growing pains as a young company

"Team Member"

I worked at Kit and Ace full-time

Pros

Good base culture, good pay, everyone is generally friendly and works as a team.

Cons

The company is experiencing mass exits as there are no opportunities, and any execs or head office team members are completely uninformed and uninvested in the store level. Management makes it difficult to keep a passion for developing and pipelining within the company through their arrogance and obliviousness to anyone else. They consistently act out of integrity and skip over people for jobs to promote their favourites, not even providing interview opportunities.
    Store level managers are petty and can't support their teams in moving on, even when still working and invested in the success of the business. If you choose to explore high opportunities elsewhere it is taken personally and you will be outcast and punished until you choose to leave.

Advice to Management

Invest in store level teams, identify talent and work to develop and keep in company. Store level managers need serious coaching on supporting team members in the growth and development both inside and outside the company.