Maddocks Reviews

Updated 9 Sep 2020

2.8
  1. "Great firm with great people"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Maddocks full-time

Pros

Strong culture, mentoring from partners, diverse work

Cons

Occasionally long hours but manageable due to strong team support

Maddocks Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you are enjoying your experience here. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at people.culture@maddocks.com.au

2. "Good Mid-sized firm"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Melbourne

I worked at Maddocks part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work/life balance; great offices. Good team to work for in corporate, great partners who really cared and were kind. Not sure about the other departments.

Cons

Secretaries working there for decades, with no proper IT skills; very cliquely secretaries. Have to have worked there for at least 5 years before they accepted you. Lawyers were great, partners were really nice. Dodgy secretaries to partners who would take time off without putting in for their leave and were helped by their friends. It happened so many times, partners had no idea what was happening. HR seemed to have their hands tied most of the time.

Maddocks Response

Thank you for honest feedback about your position whilst working at Maddocks. At Maddocks we are committed to providing the best work environment possible for our employees. Sharing your feedback is the best way for us to improve our organisation. We wish you the best with your future endeavours.

3. "My grave mistake"

1.0
    Current Employee - Graduate Lawyer in Sydney

I have been working at Maddocks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Central location... [shrugs?]. HR are nice enough but are held prisoner by senior partner demands.

Cons

Partner favouritism is off the charts. Certain partners have classism issues, and others are “out and proud” sexists. The most disappointing graduate experience!

Maddocks Response

At Maddocks we pride ourselves on creating an inclusive work environment where our employees feel valued. We would like the opportunity to discuss your experience. To do so, please get in touch with the People & Culture team.

4. "Not enough support"

2.0
    Former Employee - Associate in Sydney

I worked at Maddocks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, flexibility, firm gives lawyers a laptop and a mobile so you can work from home or cafes etc (with approvals).

Cons

Not enough competent juniors and too much favourism.

Maddocks Response

Your feedback is important to improving the employee experience at Maddocks. If you would like to discuss your feedback further with a member of our People and Culture team, please email people.culture@maddocks.com.au

5. "Legal Secretary"

I have been working at Maddocks full-time

Pros

Flexibility and Culture as well as Nice Offices

Cons

Bad behavior from partners that goes unchecked

Maddocks Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We would appreciate learning more about your experience. If you would like to discuss this further with a member of the People and Culture team, please email people.culture@maddocks.com.au

6. "Overall, good experience with good support."

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Maddocks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people in my team were awesome and most of the partners I worked for were great (except for one which is the reason why I left). CEO is a great leader and is passionate about gender diversity - but didn’t see her around. COO is very approachable, she really cares about the staff and listens to new ideas. The support teams and in particular the mailroom and finance went above and beyond (Brent, Effie and Kieran are amazing) Technology had significantly improved. Great CSR work around the firm and CSR involvement was really encouraged in the team that I was in (not sure about others)

Cons

Poor leadership in one practice team - feel for the staff in that group. Thankfully I was not part of that team. HR is not the same team as it once was. The old team in Melb have pretty much left but I did occasionally see Liz around. They need more people - no one is ever there when you need to talk to someone (get told that they are in meetings or working from home). Not enough training for secretaries - especially on Technology

People & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your time at Maddocks. We value constructive feedback and will make sure yours reaches the right people. All the very best with the next stage of your career.

7. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Melbourne

I worked at Maddocks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great new office and location, friendly teams, opportunities for growth and development, great culture

Cons

Due to the dedication and commitment of the team, hours were long sometimes

People & Culture

Thank you for your feedback. We have worked hard to create a positive culture at Maddocks.

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Maddocks full-time

Pros

Coworkers, social aspect, free coffee, book exchange, gorgeous offices

Cons

older partners (like every law firm) set in their ways and v rude to support staff when they don't get their own way.

People & Culture

Many thanks for your comments and valuable feedback.

"Don’t be fooled"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at Maddocks full-time

Pros

Made good friends, nice office . . . . . . . . . . . . . . That’s it

Cons

Don’t be fooled in your interview. You will come out of there thinking Maddocks is the place to be... it is NOT! Management and the partners are all narcissistic people - no heart, no gratitude... purely selfish people who are only after the dollar. Salary is rubbish for working like a dog and acting like a robot. They pretend they are listening to your concerns but they are only sweeping it under the rug. You will be miserable working at Maddocks. Plenty of fantastic firms out there who will value you and offer a lot more benefits. Go to them.

People & Culture

Thank you for your feedback. We are really disappointed to hear about your experience at Maddocks. That certainly does not match up with the feedback we get from our people. If there are specific issues you would like to discuss with us, please get in touch with us at people.culture@maddocks.com.au

10. "Great place to work with a friendly and supportive culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Maddocks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly and supportive culture Interesting work Nice working environment Collaborative and collegiate

Cons

Operates lean but this is common with most firms .

Found 24 reviews