Moderna Reviews

Updated 25 May 2020

3.6
Moderna  CEO Stéphane Bancel
Stéphane Bancel
Pros
  • "Nice benefits, free lunch in Cambridge or stipend lunch in Norwood, interesting science being worked on, most people are friendly(in 21 reviews)

• "Fast paced environment and exponential career growth(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "The culture is almost non existent but is talked up constantly by upper management(in 9 reviews)

• "Unrealistic timelines to get things done in fast paced timelines(in 6 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Moderna full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to learn a lot about science and the ins and outs of working in an industry lab. Vacations are great. Manager was great, Other benefits were great too. Developed friendships there that will last a lifetime. No matter how people present it, they care about what they're doing there. I'll often see facebook posts of old coworkers about a new drug that is put in clinical trial because they're just so proud to be part of something big. You don't see that a lot where employees are voluntarily advertising for their company like that.

Cons

This company unfortunately falls victim of what other companies do, by not differentiating between those who work hard vs. those who schmooze and present themselves in a way to look better. I had often seen people who were managers or senior employees take advantage of their position of power and do a "do as I say, not as I do" mindset to lower positioned employees without offering an explanation as to why something should be done in a particular way. I personally wasn't the receiving end of this, luckily because I had such a great manager, but I did see some workplace drama as a bystander.

Continue reading

"Unrealistic Management and Hostile Work environment"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Norwood, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Moderna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Lunch, Free Parking, Marginal Health benefits,

Cons

Not a good place to work. Unrealistic timelines to get things done in fast paced timelines. Inexperienced directors in Quality is one of the major drawback of the product outcome.

3. "Great Company"

I have been working at Moderna full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

Wish there were more OT

4. COVID-19

"Company with a big heart to match it’s brilliant mind and intense drive"

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing culture! Brilliant team members, collaborative and relentlessly passionate. State of the art systems and seamless processes. Best on-boarding even though it has been online. Chiefs even welcomed us and gave us motivational presentations. Excellent nurturing leadership to the very top!

Cons

Starting during pandemic was not ideal, but surprised how well online on-boarding was done.

Continue reading

"Good Science and future, difficulties of 'growing pains', adverse work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at Moderna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great science and future for the company. Strong passionate workforce

Cons

Bureaucracy increasing, reduction in transparency, losing good passionate talent at the hands of messed up middle management

"Word on the street..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have probably heard that Moderna can be a challenging place to work, so let me share my experience and thoughts on what it's like to work here. Moderna is truly doing amazing things, along with this comes the need to work hard and manage multiple priorities and fill holes as we grow. You are going to need to step in and advocate for what you believe is the right things to do, respectfully question peoples approaches and come to the best answer. Does this make it easy to get things done? not always, but we are focused on delivering the best outcomes for patients and learning to do things differently. We are doing this while advancing a unprecedented number of drugs through the clinic. This quote comes to mind when I think about Moderna: “When companies grow quickly, there are more things to do than there are people to do them. When companies grow more slowly or stop growing, there is less to do and too many people to be doing them. Politics and stagnation set in, and everyone falters. He told me, "If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, you don't ask what seat. You just get on." Eric Schmidt in 2001 when he was Google’s CEO Some of the pros of working here: Engaged, Focused, and smart people working to develop a new class of medicines Great benefits; 90% of medical premiums paid, free lunch, 16 weeks paid parental leave for males and females, equity for all full-time employees, free lunch every day, great commuter benefits.

Cons

Workload - you need to be skilled and prioritizing and making trade-offs

October 1, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

I could not agree more - we are all on that 'rocket ship' you mention and feel honored to be part of Moderna's relentless pursuit of mRNA to help patients find new options. We aren't for everyone - but we are for those that connect with our mission and truly believe. THANK YOU for your input! April Eldred, Head, Talent Acquisition

"Good place to work except for the thievery"

Current Employee - PreClinical in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced. Good benefits. Very friendly and welcoming.

Cons

The Moderna merch tends to go missing. I've had a Patagonia jacket, a water bottle, and a phone charger disappear. HR really didn't seem interested. It's a good place to work, just keep your things close to you.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Process and Integration in Boston, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company allows flexibility and creativity in the workplace. I have the power to make a difference.

Cons

It is growing and getting things done is slowing down but that is to be expected given the growth the company is experiencing. It can only be a good thing for Moderna.

Continue reading
  9. "Maturing ahead of success"

4.0
    Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time

Pros

Friendly collaborative people. The company is based on a single technology platform (mRNA) meaning all employees have a common mission. Leadership believes in the technology . Reasonably good benefits.

Cons

Currently in between the earlier frenetic approach to product development and now as a public company needing to be more frugal and measured.

October 22, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your review! Collaboration is one of our four Values (in addition to Curious, Relentless, and Bold)- so happy you seeing that in our culture here. As a team, we are working on one mission - to serve our patients. Thanks for taking the time to share.

10. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate

Pros

Cons

Some under qualified employees hold high level titles, it seems priority at some points is for green initiatives and employee swag (instead of the science, maintaining the facilities, ensuring there are enough employees per team, finding desk space for employees)

October 1, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review! Yes, we are definitely challenged on space in Cambridge. Luckily, we have a plan! It will still be a 'work in progress' for a bit . All 'high growth' problems for biotech in Kendall Square. As a flat organization, we will always run lean - however, we are focusing on cross-training initiatives in parts of the Company currently, and investing in high-growth/high-need areas. Happy to share more if you are interested! Thanks again. April Eldred - Head, Talent Acquisition

Found 78 reviews