Nautilus Reviews

Updated 1 Sep 2020

4.1
Nautilus Chief Executive Officer James Barr
James Barr
Pros
  • "Work life balance, they provode ample opportunity to interact with other employees(in 15 reviews)

• "Great culture - everyone cares so much about customer experience and employee experience(in 9 reviews)

1. "Good"

Former Employee - Manager in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time

Pros

Good employer, company communication could use improvement

Cons

Communication between departments needs improvement

2. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nautilus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Culture and management, fun place to work

Cons

Work life balance and growth

"Poor middle management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Support Representative in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits. Company provides fun activities with Culture Club. Relationship with the community is impressive.

Cons

Company is a bit "clique-y". Seems like most teams could use more members. Management could use more training. Very little opportunity within the company to rise through the ranks. My experience was extreme. I had problems with direct management being unclear. I went to their manager, who sent all of my concerns to the person I was privately talking to them about directly, and everything went downhill. I was constantly bullied and attacked for my sudden "poor quality" of work. Went to HR, and their suggestion was to talk to the manager again who had just caused the issue. I was put on a PIP plan for a mistake that was made months ago as an excuse, when I know for a fact it was not the worst mistake anyone had made on the team, though I was the only one who seemed to have been punished ever. That upper manager then told me that if I did not like or care about my job, to "just save us all the time, you know". I have never left a job without giving notice before leaving Nautilus. I was very disappointed with the team dynamic and would not suggest this position to anyone. Maybe another team if possible.

Continue reading
  4. "New executive leaders and fantastic culture"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Nautilus full-time for more than a year

Pros

New CEO with proven transformation experience Strongly supportive of diversity and inclusion Wonderful culture supportive of families and teams In the midst of digital transformation Strong mission to help everyone in their fitness journey

Cons

Some challenges, and opportunities, ahead as we redefine our strategy and transform

Nautilus Response

HR Director

And we are lucky to have employees like you to help us through these challenges and opportunities! Thanks for all you do.

"Mismanaged Company with VERY Limited Growth"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Professional Position in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a small, but decently equipped workout room on site. Convenient, if you live in Vancouver or Camas. Free entry into Tough Mudder once a year.

Cons

Horribly managed. From the top down, the company seems to value janky as-seen-on-TV type experience vs. people who are experienced professionals in the fitness industry. That is not to say that there aren't some folks who are enthusiastic about fitness that also happen to work there, but just take a look at the executive suite and their front line. NOT ONE actual fitness person and the results speak for themselves. The stock price has dropped 95% since 2016 with Peleton basically eating their lunch while they scramble and try to come up with a compelling product and play catch up with technology adoption. The bottom line is that this place should not be called "Nautilus" since they basically sell this brand to a more capable company, and should instead call themselves the "Bowflex Company" since that's really their bread and butter. Hocking gimmicky products on late night television to people who probably shouldn't taking on debt with false promises of losing weight. It's also no secret that they've had to lay off a significant portion of their workforce, all of the senior leaders have abandoned ship and they have no clear direction on how to right the ship since their competition is leaps and bounds ahead of them. Also worth noting that they generally do not promote from within, so if you take a job there, you better love it because you won't be promoted...which leads to high turnover and a lack of in-depth industry experience across the remaining staff. Steer Clear the place is a loser with abysmal prospects to grow.

Continue reading

"Grteat Benefits, Not So Good Direct Management"

Former Employee - Digital Support Specialist in Vancouver, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nautilus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company tries to attain a family culture and available amenities. While the high school cliquish feeling takes some of that away, it is nice to see that they try.

Cons

1. Backdated my bereavement leave for the loss of a child. I was cautioned to not use PTO as we were understaffed already before needing the time off. 2. Management frequently forgot/misplaced instruction, and would have us pull up emails to show past instruction. 3. Direct management overworked, team lead meant to take some of her work not properly trained to assist. 4. No support from management on the weekend. 5. Weekend employees had been locked out of the building on a few occasions (15+) unable to get hold of management to unlock the automated doors. 6. Many policy and marketing strategies are extremely confusing to customers, and when an intern CEO tried to rectify some of them, marketing flips it back over with more confusing tactics. 7. More duties with same pay. Since joining, my duties had increased by $400% easily - however pay only changed with the uptick of minimum wage every year to keep you the same distance ahead. 8. Since the creation of the chat department 4 years ago, sales and customer service still draw blanks as to all we can do/not do on chat. We are the same when it comes to stats, but we are so much different, not really belonging to any other department. 9 -> When you are told by your bosses boss that there will be no room to move up in the company, it is time to spread your wings and fly to better opportunities.

"Needs New Guidance"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Nautilus full-time

Pros

Benefits and Culture are awesome as is work life balance.

Cons

Dysfunctional Management needs to be overhauled.

"Great stepping stone"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Sherman, TX

I have been working at Nautilus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Close Knit employees Laid back atmosphere

Cons

Long hours/days Commission heavy compensation

"Good company but not adapting to the industry dynamics"

Former Employee - Manager in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing culture. Great products. Good people and work environment.

Cons

Not quick enough to adapt to industry changes.

"The worst"

1.0

I worked at Nautilus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The cons outweigh the pros-no sense in mentioning any.

Cons

-Departments work in silos -Incompetent management -Conformity is a requirement - there is no creative problem solving allowed. It’s either their way or the highway. Take the highway! -You are just a body filling a seat, your worth is defined by how much of a robot you can be.

Found 94 reviews