Nautilus Reviews

Updated 15 Mar 2020

4.2
Nautilus Chief Executive Officer James Barr
James Barr
Pros
  • "Work life balance, they provode ample opportunity to interact with other employees(in 15 reviews)

• "Great culture - everyone cares so much about customer experience and employee experience(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Since the creation of the chat department 4 years ago, sales and customer service still draw blanks as to all we can do/not do on chat(in 3 reviews)

• "The employees are fun to work with however upper management can be fake and not very genuine(in 3 reviews)

1. "New executive leaders and fantastic culture"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Nautilus full-time for more than a year

Pros

New CEO with proven transformation experience Strongly supportive of diversity and inclusion Wonderful culture supportive of families and teams In the midst of digital transformation Strong mission to help everyone in their fitness journey

Cons

Some challenges, and opportunities, ahead as we redefine our strategy and transform

Nautilus Response

March 20, 2020HR Director

And we are lucky to have employees like you to help us through these challenges and opportunities! Thanks for all you do.

"Mismanaged Company with VERY Limited Growth"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Professional Position in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a small, but decently equipped workout room on site. Convenient, if you live in Vancouver or Camas. Free entry into Tough Mudder once a year.

Cons

Horribly managed. From the top down, the company seems to value janky as-seen-on-TV type experience vs. people who are experienced professionals in the fitness industry. That is not to say that there aren't some folks who are enthusiastic about fitness that also happen to work there, but just take a look at the executive suite and their front line. NOT ONE actual fitness person and the results speak for themselves. The stock price has dropped 95% since 2016 with Peleton basically eating their lunch while they scramble and try to come up with a compelling product and play catch up with technology adoption. The bottom line is that this place should not be called "Nautilus" since they basically sell this brand to a more capable company, and should instead call themselves the "Bowflex Company" since that's really their bread and butter. Hocking gimmicky products on late night television to people who probably shouldn't taking on debt with false promises of losing weight. It's also no secret that they've had to lay off a significant portion of their workforce, all of the senior leaders have abandoned ship and they have no clear direction on how to right the ship since their competition is leaps and bounds ahead of them. Also worth noting that they generally do not promote from within, so if you take a job there, you better love it because you won't be promoted...which leads to high turnover and a lack of in-depth industry experience across the remaining staff. Steer Clear the place is a loser with abysmal prospects to grow.

Continue reading

"Grteat Benefits, Not So Good Direct Management"

Former Employee - Digital Support Specialist in Vancouver, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nautilus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company tries to attain a family culture and available amenities. While the high school cliquish feeling takes some of that away, it is nice to see that they try.

Cons

1. Backdated my bereavement leave for the loss of a child. I was cautioned to not use PTO as we were understaffed already before needing the time off. 2. Management frequently forgot/misplaced instruction, and would have us pull up emails to show past instruction. 3. Direct management overworked, team lead meant to take some of her work not properly trained to assist. 4. No support from management on the weekend. 5. Weekend employees had been locked out of the building on a few occasions (15+) unable to get hold of management to unlock the automated doors. 6. Many policy and marketing strategies are extremely confusing to customers, and when an intern CEO tried to rectify some of them, marketing flips it back over with more confusing tactics. 7. More duties with same pay. Since joining, my duties had increased by $400% easily - however pay only changed with the uptick of minimum wage every year to keep you the same distance ahead. 8. Since the creation of the chat department 4 years ago, sales and customer service still draw blanks as to all we can do/not do on chat. We are the same when it comes to stats, but we are so much different, not really belonging to any other department. 9 -> When you are told by your bosses boss that there will be no room to move up in the company, it is time to spread your wings and fly to better opportunities.

"Needs New Guidance"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Nautilus full-time

Pros

Benefits and Culture are awesome as is work life balance.

Cons

Dysfunctional Management needs to be overhauled.

"Great stepping stone"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Sherman, TX

I have been working at Nautilus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Close Knit employees Laid back atmosphere

Cons

Long hours/days Commission heavy compensation

"Good company but not adapting to the industry dynamics"

Former Employee - Manager in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing culture. Great products. Good people and work environment.

Cons

Not quick enough to adapt to industry changes.

"The worst"

1.0

I worked at Nautilus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The cons outweigh the pros-no sense in mentioning any.

Cons

-Departments work in silos -Incompetent management -Conformity is a requirement - there is no creative problem solving allowed. It’s either their way or the highway. Take the highway! -You are just a body filling a seat, your worth is defined by how much of a robot you can be.

Continue reading

"Be ordinary. Folks don't like it when you are a MAX!"

I have been working at Nautilus full-time

Pros

Good onboarding process Friendly teammates Learning opportunity for new grads

Cons

Departments are siloed. People do not want to share critical information across different teams working on similar projects. No opportunity for career growth No ownership- Be prepared to let a few main teams take away your best work. Folks do not like being challenged here for a good outcome

"It’s been better..."

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Vancouver, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Nautilus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good product, good work-life balance.

Cons

Execs jumping ship, stale product.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Nautilus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay and opportunity for advancment

Cons

Dying market and inconsistent calls coming in

Found 91 reviews