Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is a joke at times but it depends on team and manager" (in 31 reviews)

• "High turnover rate, culture of fear" (in 30 reviews)

"How much does a functioning human cost?"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Paycheck
    - So many good people
    - Such a great service
    - Hope

Cons

I have been working for a year at Netflix.

I've seen what was supposed to be very mature people, sharing absolutely almost no contact that anyone would qualify as "human".
    Sure, that sounds hyperbolic, let me develop (and maybe cherry-pick a little).

Have you heard about our culture? The one about giving candid feedback? - I have seen people complaining of behavior they literally demonstrated themselves in the following days.
    But I have also seen these feedbacks resulting in tears both in the eyes of HR persons or fellow engineers. How human does that sound?

Have you heard about our culture? The one about not tolerating brilliant jerks? I have nonetheless seen angriness and frustration, expressed in private, public and meeting. People rejecting new ideas by default, like, any ideas they wouldn't have worked themselves on for days wouldn't count. Even if those ideas are from the best examples in the industry or academics. How many publications/contributions have you seen from Netflix to computer science in general? How does it compare against any other company of that size in the Bay Area? Can you imagine either the real insecurity (x)or the lack of innovation that could lead to this situation?

Except for a few managers, directors or VPs feeling free enough to behave at work in the same way than how they live, almost every engineer I have been interacting with, have shared as little as possible about their private life.
    The rare exceptions of interpersonal exchange ends up around some sort of competitive behavior: Who is the most geeky, sportive, owns the fastest car/biggest house/visited the strangest place.

I've heard workaholic people complaining about ambitious peers who were over-managing, over-working to get even more work to do after. I feel like we're past workaholism at this point.

Maybe there are a lot of shy people! Maybe there is a culture of fear, not only of being fired, but also a fear of interacting with people going to be fired.
    Maybe it's all in my head, maybe people giving 5 stars to their experience here don't care the human aspect of a company. And maybe they're right.

What about your crush, your fears, your desires for the future, your appetite for life? I've been blessed to work in enough large companies to know that the behavior that I'm seeing in Netflix is not a healthy one. I've also been lucky enough to work in other industries more socializing than tech and I can tell that Netflix has a lot to do on that side, and off-sites or team meeting won't solve that problem.

I am afraid about the tragic, but inevitable consequences of the ways people operate in this company: I guess that the day the worst will happen, it will be addressed in an impersonal memo by Reed; followed-up by 1 or 2 reminders during offsites. Possibly commented by HR in a Q&A document. And move on. This company seems as reactive in its management of people as it is proactive in its business operations.

I still work at Netflix though, not only for the paycheck, but because I hope. I hope it will change. The needed change can't happen from a candid feedback, a Q&A, or only from inside.
    Change has to come from everyone, including people who take time to read comments like this one. Netflix has so many good people and offers such a great service.

As a curious Netflix employee reading this review: think about your past, isn't there a big human thing that you would love to feel again in your current company that you've felt in the past?

As a candidate: think about what would be a good question to ask to that HR partner once your package is almost here to be offered to you, think about that comment you make at the end of an interview when you're being asked by an engineer: "Do you have any question for me?"
    What Netflix needs is an inception, something that anyone and everyone would think about after leaving the call or the room they were sharing with you.
    Ask yourself, and then the others, the question you should ask if you think you want to spend a good amount of your life and energy in the place you're applying for.

- Will I learn and contribute to the knowledge of other's? Even outside the company?
    - Will I see emotional responses from my peers? Will that be for other reasons than being fired or bluntly criticized?
    - Will I find a friendly environment that will nurture my appetite for life?
    - What is the amount of emotional interaction (celebrating, sharing, playing) to expect from a company whose service is the best to "entertain"?
    - Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Advice to Management

Ask yourself those questions

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture deck (google it) is real. Dream team, no dead weight, no bureaucracy etc. Plus working in entertainment is fun.

Cons

Title deflation + manage less people that you would elsewhere because of the lean org.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture and hiring strong. The rest will follow.

"Great culture, tech and people!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Pay is great, as are benefits.
    - Great product getting better
    - Big on diversity and inclusion.
    - People are fantastic, really no jerks here!
    - Solid engineering culture
    - Small company with little politics, process and BS to contend with.
    - Easy to get help, everyone makes time and is approachable.
    - You can accomplish a lot if you are motivated and have good ideas.
    - The logical thing/decision almost always happens.
    - Amazing focus in the company, very little distractions
    - Excellent communication flow. There are no secrets, everything is considered “context” that could help you do your job better.

Cons

(To be clear these are all small cons! Netflix really is great!)

- Since it’s a small company that only hires A players, teams and scope can be small.
    - Could be more customer focused. Big focus on innovation, but primarily through the lens of what the data says and what the business values. This could be more balanced.
    - Stock option Program is decent, but a little complicated and risky. I would prefer RSU or stock purchase plan instead of options.
    - Location. Los Gatos is great but pretty far south. Not a great commute for most folks, particularly those living in the city.

Advice to Management

Raise the bar on product innovation. While we have some big ideas, most seem incremental and solution led. Don’t be afraid to put a little more pressure on the teams to deliver. Also, there are benefits to having everyone in LG, but frankly we are growing and need to be able to scale for the future. We should be more open to dev centers in other cities/tech hubs.

4. "Customer service"

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice fast paces working environment

Cons

Long working hours, not family life friendly

"Quite a few inconsistencies with the Netflix culture document"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

1. Little red tape
    2. Compensation
    3. Freedom with expenses, travel, WFH
    4. Communication flows extremely well throughout the organization

Cons

1. The feedback I got was only positive. So, I did not experience 'we tell people things to their face'
    2. Internally strong leadership is defined as 'have you let anyone go' rather than showing good judgement and making good decisions
    3. Managers have no prior experience and lack people skills.
    4. In data science, it seems to be about writing papers than having business impact. The system is optimized towards presenting in monthly and quarterly meetings than creating actionable recommendations.
    5. Sourcing team is incompetent and as managers you have to do your own sourcing. They are far worse than Amazon and Facebook.
    6. There is no growth position wise for individual contributors. This is a consequence of having a flat structure.
    7. Disagreeing with a VP who has limited visibility into your group can be fairly negative. As managers showing a back bone can be negative. It's encouraged in the document but not advisable in practice.

Advice to Management

1. Instead of discussing about diversity and inclusion, do something. You do not get people to empathize by talking about but by encouraging community service.
    2. I have seen a VP hugging someone during their fairwell and then bad mouthing them in public after they left the organization. Give power to HR to take action against such behavior
    3. Training around ethics and integrity is crucial. Managers have a lot of power in the system and its easy to pass the blame and not act in the best interest of Netflix.

6. "working on network"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good people
    good environment
    can work

Cons

lots of work
    time and stress

7. "Overall well compensated"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Things get done very quickly. Everyone is on their A game. Generous with covering phone bill and office equipment as well as stock options.

Cons

Tendency to have admins cover multiple executives

8. "Culture trump benefits"

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great comp, very cool mission

Cons

Cut throat culture creates fear

9. "Positive"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Great company, innovative and fun

Cons

No cons, great work envoirnment

10. "Good work experience"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and people are very smart and driven.

Cons

Long hours and challenging work-life balance.