Officeworks Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 14 Oct 2019

3.5
Officeworks CEO Mark Ward
Mark Ward
Pros
  • "Great team environment can be a lot of fun(in 17 reviews)

• "Several excellent training programs available to team members(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Overworking good team members is common as a cost saving measure with no financial compensation or recognition for hard work(in 22 reviews)

• "Head Office disconnect from stores(in 10 reviews)

1. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Officeworks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment Work-life balance So many benefits (movie tickets, corporate partnerships with car companies, discounts with all westfarmers shops)

Cons

Budget for team member wages had meant many have lost shifts

Officeworks2019-08-28
  2. "Best workplace to start career in retail industry"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Mentone

I have been working at Officeworks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Appreciation for employees, Able to work across the country, Flexibility with work hours. Management is really supportable if you face any problem. Different in store events during year for fund-raising. Officeworks really helps you to explore your retail skills.

Cons

Unable to learn everything about each department at Officeworks which can some times result in poor customer review for store and team members.

Officeworks2019-10-07
  3. "not good"

Current Employee - Team Member in Canberra

I have been working at Officeworks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work keeps you busy here

Cons

did not like management at all

Officeworks2019-10-15
  4. "Great"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Officeworks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly such a good job and made so many friends.

Cons

They don’t train too well and sort of just push you in the deep end

Advice to Management

Do optional training sessions for people who would want to

Officeworks2019-09-26
  5. "Working as a Team Member"

Current Employee - Team Member/Cashier in Sydney

I have been working at Officeworks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Convenient Hours - Basic roles and responsibilities - Shift hours are acceptable - Good development of transferable skills

Cons

- Shifts are very busy, can be strenuous - Organisation of tasks are not good - Management may be pressuring

Officeworks2019-09-27
  6. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Chatswood

I worked at Officeworks part-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll always be busy with relatively easy work, they pay on time, friendly people to work with, generous discounts, good opportunities for career advancements.

Cons

Customers can be a pain, long hours standing

Officeworks2019-09-08

"Slow improvements but a long way to go - terrible mat leave treatment"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Bentleigh East

I worked at Officeworks part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Change of management has gone a long way to improving the culture. Improved maternity policies and new leadership under Sarah was a breath of fresh air (unfortunately too late for me) -Some decent training opportunities - I managed to get a Diploma of Management through their Future Leaders Program (but this has now discontinued with no official accreditation) -I learnt a lot on the job and my managers when I... first started were inspirational and really excited me about working for Officeworks long term.

Cons

-A really old school 'boys club' mentality existed when I was there - at one point there was only one woman in the leadership team which was all white. Not very diverse. And a lot of sexism/boys club mentality still existed where women would get passed over for their boorish less skilled male co-workers. -Missed pay raise cycles because I'd already had a increase 11 months earlier then missed pay rises when I was... on mat leave, which resulted in my pay remaining the same for two and a half years despite being a senior member of the team which put me on par with new hires. - Was treated terribly when returning from maternity leave. Was made to feel really guilty about requesting flexible working and ended up working more days than I originally wanted to which put a huge strain on my family. Wasn't allowed to flex my hours to avoid traffic. My role was changed to hide me in a less prominent role when I returned from leave. - A real emphasis on 'butts in seats', even when quiet or doing work that could have been done elsewhere. -At the time, only received 3 weeks paid maternity, then 3 when I returned back from work, which made me feel like I was being held hostage to my money if I didn't come back (that has changed now) -Lots of older workers stuck in the dark ages. There was only one room for parenting and it was frequently occupied by an older lady who wanted to nap, which meant I had to pump in a cupboard - and I was made to feel I was in the wrong! Once they eventually retire I'm sure things will improve. - Never walked the talk. Management always talked about customer first but then would push marketing to do what they wanted. Talked about looking after their team then treated them badly. Sold the 'dream' of beautiful offices to customers, then had their workers using outdated computers and desks from the 80s. Or spending millions promoting a charity to customers instead of, just, giving the millions to the charity!

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the EBIT and start focusing on your team. I was prepared to stay for the long haul but the poor treatment I received when I came back from mat leave killed it for me. Five years, no promotion opportunities, then I came back from mat leave and it was like I was invisible. A real shame. So much effort focused on the bottom line and not on the team - I really hope this improves for future workers.

Officeworks2019-09-13
  8. "Lots of good people, lots of politics and culture of fear."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Officeworks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Discount Card, People, Free Car park

Cons

Pay, Work hours, Culture, Policies, Hierarchy

Officeworks2019-09-06
  9. "Excellent Service"

Former Employee - Stationary in Melbourne

I worked at Officeworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent advice and fantastic products

Cons

early morning starts can get hard

Officeworks2019-08-08
  10. "Not a great Management Structure"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant

I worked at Officeworks part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Amazing managers - Great coworkers

Cons

Higher up management (i.e. head office) ties hands for managers in stores and they get a bad rap. I have made lifelong friends here but they also have left due to how toxic it can get.

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback given in the yearly surveys.

Officeworks2019-08-07