Orion Health Reviews

Updated 26 Jun 2020

3.8
Orion Health CEO Ian McCrae
Ian McCrae
Pros
  • "We have some great perks, including free breakfast and there is car parking on a first in, first served basis(in 18 reviews)

• "Many smart people who believe in the difference technology can make to people's lives in healthcare(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Time difference in communicating with the NZ office(s)(in 31 reviews)

• "New Zealand owned/based company with poor leadership(in 24 reviews)

1. "Great People, Challenges Ahead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Orion Health full-time

Pros

- There are a lot of really clever, motivated and talented individuals working for this company - Is a world leader in its niche (HIE) - Positive Growth story - which is exciting to be a part of

Cons

- Internal communications could be improved - So much going on - hard to keep track of it all - Internal systems are somewhat archaic and hinder pace

Continue reading

"Hopefully Leadership has improved"

Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Orion Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Technically diverse products with some innovative capabilities for the healthcare IT environment compared to many competitors. It was a fun environment to work alongside a broad range of technical and clinical people. It also inspired purpose to be in an industry focused on delivering good outcomes (health).

Cons

Management was more focused on sales numbers rather than selling something that could be realistically delivered on time and meet the customer's needs. This created considerable tension between management, delivery teams and customers. Had poor leadership development promoting former developers into senior roles without consideration for their ability to lead or provide sufficient training to help steer them in the right direction.

Orion Health Response

November 6, 2016Head of People

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback as a former employee, and for acknowledging our talented team. Highlighting the great people working here is a common theme in many of the reviews that are posted on this site and we are committed to putting the right programs in place to help our team members succeed at our company. Key to this is ensuring that we support people who are promoted to leadership roles so that they in turn can inspire and mentor their own teams. We have implemented a number of program in the past year (with more to come!) around building leadership capability. We are confident that positive change is occurring, but we do acknowledge that we don’t always get it right, and we really encourage our employees to raise their concerns with their leader or a member of the People team.

3. "Good Place To Start Out"

Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Auckland, Auckland
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Orion Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

food, table tennis, motivated staff.

Cons

Low morale, unclear direction, stock price

4. "Great people and experiences"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Auckland, Auckland

I worked at Orion Health full-time

Pros

The people there are some of the best I've ever worked with, very knowledgeable and happy to make time for new people. Good opportunities for personal growth. Healthcare is a challenging area, there are always interesting problems to solve. There are opportunities for travel and living overseas, since it's an international company.

Cons

Competing priorities from different regions weren't managed very well. Lots of restructures in the past few years.

5. "Technically & culturally great but lacks strategy and potential for career growth."

Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Auckland, Auckland

I worked at Orion Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

- I can say without a doubt that the engineering capability and competency at Orion Health is great. Most teams use (or at least try) to involve the latest tech and concepts. Orion sets the engineering competency bar really high and as a result you'll constantly think you are never good enough, but trust me your capabilities will sky rocket compared to individuals at competing companies. - Culture is second to none, the company has a great social aspect and "family" environment. (Obviously depends on the team you're in) Speaking of teams, the Smart Data Platform team is the best. Big shoutout to the new king of the holes, Mitch. #BringBackTim2020

Cons

Orions biggest con is that it suffers from not being able to solidify their financial position. We either have too much unnecessary expenditures or we are not getting enough leads though our cat photos from our glorified instagram page. Which one is it Ian? Trick question, both. Sort it out.

Continue reading
  6. "Awesome Place to Work"

5.0
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Auckland, Auckland

I worked at Orion Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lovely Atmosphere Cool and Vibrant Culture Cutting Edge Technologies Colleagues are too good and inviting Complete lenience to learn technologies you want as long as it adds value to the company's projects

Cons

Employees are so addictive to resign that the company has to make it a tradition historically to perform restructures lol just kidding . We should completely understand there are strong reason's for the top level management to take such harsh decisions and it is not really that easy to kick loyal employees unless there is a steep downfall in the financially curve of the company.

7. "Yikes"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland, Auckland

I have been working at Orion Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There used to be some, not any more.

Cons

Constant poor decision making at the top level, yearly mass redundancies and now attempting to cut all salaries by 10%.

8. "-"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Auckland, Auckland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Orion Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome culture, vibrant, competitive, and supportive of employees

Cons

Freshly coming out of restructuring, high turn over

"A promising company but it’s full of close-minded people who don’t really have new ideas to bring value to customers."

1.0
    Senior Software Engineer in Auckland, Auckland

I worked at Orion Health

Pros

Ping pong table, breakfast, training, conferences, etc.

Cons

There is a “hero” team of scientists and engineers who used to drive every piece of decision in the company. These people have been there for more than ten years so you don’t get to say anything. Your opinion don’t matter to them. There were also a time when Orion Health hired a lot of middle managers who bullied a lot of people to quitting. HR and People Managers are useless. So all the best software engineers are gone. If you want to see how to build a toxic engineering culture in your company, just look at Orion Health.

Continue reading
  10. "Great place to work. Challenging & Rewarding"

5.0
    Current Employee - Commercial Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at Orion Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's great working for a company that is at the cutting edge of the Health IT industry. It makes it exciting and never a dull moment. The people are super friendly and the culture is quite relaxed so I felt very welcomed when I joined. It is truly an international company so you feel connected to colleagues all over the world.

Cons

It's a bit of a transition phase so operating across multiple CRM systems can be a bit cumbersome.

Found 180 reviews