Professional Advantage Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.1
  1. "Leadership Encouraged"

Current Employee - Sales in North Sydney

I have been working at Professional Advantage full-time

Pros

Great Culture for self starters and those who want to lead by example. The organisation suits autonomous workers and go getters. No micro management exists. Team driven and a progressive flat management structure. Unique Opportunities offered to staff in relation to roles and locations of work. Collaborative and open approach to strategy setting with all involved given a say in direction. Change is embraced... and structure and strategy often reviewed. Good people stay and those who aren't focused on team and customer success are quickly found out.

Cons

Not ideal for those seeking title advancement as the organisation is more focused on providing experience and fostering leadership. (ie you have a great opportunity to succeed but you also the opportunity to not). Some roles like consulting won't have dedicated management to foster inexperienced resources. If you don't ask - you don't get at PA.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the values that have made the organisation so successful.

Professional Advantage2017-05-10

"Not what it was"

I worked at Professional Advantage full-time

Pros

PA pushing its team to work as best as they can. There is the opportunity to switch roles based on market demands and skill sets.

Cons

There’s been a strong shift to cut cost by moving the workforce to Manila and little investment in developing the company’s culture locally. Other than being a “high performing workplace” a euphemism for “work stupidly long hours” to be acknowledged or considered for a pay rise, there is a lack of belief or understanding around cultivating or maintaining a culture. Team building is rare, and Christmas parties rarer... still. It feels like this company is stuck in the 90s in the way it recruits, manages and treats its team.

Advice to Management

Ask people what they want from the company and listen to them. Hire more Millenials.

Professional Advantage2017-07-23

"Unprofessional organisation"

I worked at Professional Advantage full-time

Pros

Some of the people that work there are great.

Cons

Management and senior management like to bully staff or know that bullying is happening in the work place and do nothing about it. It is not a motivating or professional company. They take advantage of their staff. Pay is very poor and wont ever increase even if you job matures and you take more responsibility. They like to keep you in your little box as management is threatened

Advice to Management

You had a great company, and you lost it. You need to treat the staff better! You claim you are all about the people but you are all about how to save a single dollar at the expense of the people that work for you. This company well end up being run from Manila

Professional Advantage2016-12-04

"Jobs are going and current employees in the AUS offices are left to die"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Sydney

I have been working at Professional Advantage part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great flexibility in working hours. Ability to work from home when the need arises but again this option is heavily abused by some employees.

Cons

1. Top management has started an office in Manila. For each local employee that leaves, 1 or 2 or 3 new employees are hired overseas. 2. Some staff are overworked because the management wants them to leave by themselves. They save on redundancies and then hire new ones in Manila. 3. No pay increases for 4 years now and nothing mentioned. 4. Staff who abuse the work from home policy and treat coming to the... office as an exception rather than the norm. Absurd work from home 'rules' . Like during the school holidays, some of the staff work from home for the whole duration of the holidays.

Advice to Management

Do not foresake your local employees for cheaper labour overseas. This is not a very ethical way to treat employees. Used to be very good but with management changes, this place has become worse and worse. Even though you want your local employees to leave by themselves, the way you are doing this is not morally correct. Pay them redundancies so you can start your office somewhere overseas. Don't exploit them and... make them leave.

Professional Advantage2016-04-19

"Last choice"

Account Manager in North Sydney

I have been working at Professional Advantage for more than a year

Pros

Location in Nth Sydney, nice premises. Free drinks and fruit.

Cons

Even though a large organisation, run like a mum & dads store. No HR to vent your frustration or grievances. Most people and mgmt have been there a long time and haven't worked anywhere else so sticking with old way of doing things, narrow minded and put in a box and no career path offered. Said one thing at interview and offered something else. No visibility in sales, motivation or recognition. Salary not... competitive. Expect a lot from staff with overtime and not compensated.

Advice to Management

Motivate and recognise accomplishments instead of demotivating staff and playing games. Show leadership and mentor staff.

Professional Advantage2015-10-06
  6. "Great Company - poor middle management"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sydney

I worked at Professional Advantage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great customer base, great consulting staff, great upper management, free non-alcoholic drinks, free month end alcoholic drinks and appies, free tuition

Cons

Middle management is horrible and has no idea what would drive the company to the 'next level'. Most of them are there going through the motions because they were there when the company was growing, but now that the company has peaked in growth, no new ideas to bring to the table.

Advice to Management

Less middle management or bring in some new people!

Professional Advantage2014-10-14

"Unfair dismissal of my employment!"

Former Employee -  in Sydney

I worked at Professional Advantage full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only good thing at PA is the facilities and the accessible location really!

Cons

My manager made me resign without even having reasonable justification but only that they heard I was not happy and planning to leave! So I had the option to resign or get sacked really! My role was changed twice, there was a huge lack of communication and I was also underpaid in along with other similar jobs in the market! There were also no or minimal training provided to help me better do my job!

Advice to Management

Have a better communication with your staff! Provide feedback early and at least before you sack them! And also try to look at the root cause of problems first instead of making unreasonable decisions!

Professional Advantage2013-04-09

"The company changed a lot for the worse over the time I worked for them."

in North Sydney

I have been working at Professional Advantage

Pros

The flexibility in the job and work life balance is excellent. People are great to work with and the facilities are very nice.

Cons

The flat structure and the lack of transparency of the organisation leaves a lot of people in the dark regarding the direction of the company.

Advice to Management

More open communication on the direction of the company. Listen better to the feedback of the staff and act on it. Do not change peoples roles before it is clear what the consequences are and what their role exactly is going to be.

Professional Advantage2011-04-27
  9. "Terrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Professional Advantage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some nice people in the office

Cons

I worked for a manager who shouldn't have any direct reports. She has no idea how to express herself and as a result, the training was subpar. Instead of talking with me, she was openly hostile. Repeatedly asked for honesty because "no one seems to be honest anymore", but as I pointed out to her, she is not honest herself. As far as the business, I wasn't there long, but I don't think it has much future in the... US. It is an Australian company and as far as the Denver office, it seems to be out of sight, out of mind. I knew from the first day it wasn't going to work out, but I didn't deserve the level of hostility expressed - no one does.

Advice to Management

If you are going to have people in management, they should go through some training to see if they are capable.

Professional Advantage2019-10-02

"Company in a nose dive"

Former Employee - Data Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Professional Advantage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, environment, work is meaningful, good compensation.

Cons

I left in June of 2018 after a year working as a data consultant. There were no projects of substantial significance to work on. Several employees and teams were planning on leaving. Management talks about team work but I saw none there. Several clients dropped sales in pursuit of other, less buggy solutions. Forced to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Need to keep promises to employees at the hiring stage. Focus on sales to provide project time for everyone and not let good, qualified employees leave because they have no billable hours.

Professional Advantage2018-11-26