QBE Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

QBE Group CEO Patrick Regan
Patrick Regan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Change of senior management over last six months has resulted in inertia on strategy and delay in decision making" (in 31 reviews)

• "A lot of changes in upper management recently" (in 27 reviews)

1. "Company on the up"

I have been working at QBE part-time

Pros

Great flexibility and work/life balance, ability to work some days from home to meet parenting responsibilities. Leadership opportunities for all levels. Managers are generally high performing, decent people. Sense that the company is going somewhere.

Cons

Everyone is pretty busy doing their day-to-day tasks, so it can be difficult to find the time to innovate and plan ahead.

Advice to Management

While there has been a lot of executive change in recent years, much of this has been necessary. I’m hopeful that the new leadership team will work well together, and we will have a period of stability.
    The flexible work policy is fantastic (and the no 1 reason I work for QBE), but I’ve received some feedback from colleagues that it can be inconsistently applied at lower levels in the company.

"Major overhaul needed"

I have been working at QBE full-time

Pros

Looking to change and pay is good.

Cons

Hierarchical and will often miss out if you are not based in Sydney. Very siloed approach and seems to be two main camps, those who have joined in the last 2 years and those who have long tenures. With each camp protective of their own territory.

The greatest assets of an insurance company is its staff, data and IT infrastructure. All 3 areas are not functioning as one. Culture needs to change to empower employees and its data needs to be fixed to help make decisions. It’s systems need to bought in line with the 21st century to allow it to be agile in market.

Advice to Management

Change to the ways of working. Roll out more cross-functional ways working.

The greatest assets of an insurance company is its staff, data and IT infrastructure. Culture needs to change to empower employees. Its data needs to be fixed to help it make decisions. It’s systems need to bought in line with the 21st century to allow it to be agile in market.

3. "There are better roles out there, unless you absolutely cannot find a job, then come to QBE!"

I have been working at QBE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nothing much to be honest. They say, a lack of culture is a culture.

Cons

Management and leaders are too focused on managing shareholders and investors, and the resulting share price.

Advice to Management

Invest in management and leadership development because its almost non-existent.

4. "Too much transformation and turnover"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at QBE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good

Cons

Changes every day. Notifications via email. I suppose when I will be let you, it will also be via email.
    Little processes defined, and the few ones they have are not adhered to.
    There seems to be no plan or strategy.

Advice to Management

Identify where the company is going. Constant transformation aka change is not a successful strategy.

5. "Not great but good pay and job title"

I have been working at QBE full-time

Pros

Not much to be honest

Cons

A lot except pay and title

Advice to Management

Get your selves sorted out

6. "Alright"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Brisbane

I have been working at QBE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Culture
    -Flexi hours
    -employee benefits
    - breaks
    -QBE foundation
    -Opportunity
    -People

Cons

-management
    -budgeting
    -desk space
    -systems
    -training and development

7. "Case Manager"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Parramatta
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Parramatta

I have been working at QBE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, team environment, good culture, share a common goal, T&D

Cons

Not really organised for new starters

Advice to Management

T&D sooner and have all sanctions in place for newbies

"Culture is good, not great. Management is ok, not good."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at QBE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

QBE is finally starting to form a great culture and figure out their people make the company. They have embraced more new ways of thinking and they have some great employee led programs like their indigenous inclusion RAP committee , their LGBT inclusion group ‘QBE Pride’ and ‘The Circle’ which is women related. If you want a company focusing on diversity and inclusion, it’s great.

Cons

So much happens really quickly that if you aren’t into that way of working you won’t last. The expectation on employees doesn’t match the pay either. It varies from role to role. If you have been an employee for a long time and move laterally or upwards, your pay gets capped even when the role should pay more. Restructures are also a thing that occur A LOT. If you want stability this company is not for you.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining people. Sadly, you couldn’t retain me even after 13 years. Don’t expect to utilise their advanced skills and not reward them in return.

9. "After 15 years, still very proud to work at QBE"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Parramatta
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Parramatta

I have been working at QBE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Australian employer with truly global insurance ops & global career opportunities. Approachable leaders that do consult with operational teams. Several effective global rewards & recognition mechanisms for all staff. Inspirational new CEO for Australia & New Zealand ops with strong people & culture focus, not that I thought it was lacking previous. I can attest to the Australian leadership team being truly good quality human beings that I trust with our strategic direction. Flexibility available to those doing the right thing if/when it suits business operations & your role. Modern office environments.

Cons

It's an insurance company - so you rarely ever get a empty/clean desk, however, their is support available to manage your worloads & development needs. We are fast paced, fluid & you will need to get comfortable with change.

Advice to Management

Really loving how flat the organisation is becoming with information flow, communication, transparency & access to senior leaders. Keep it up, the teams appreciate it.

10. "Continuous change and significant talent drain in last year"

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Sydney
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Sydney

I worked at QBE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global company with the benefits that brings. A new CEO may make a significant change for the better

Cons

Continuous change in senior management means no movement on strategy in several years. Significant focus on cost reduction and reduction in markets, coupled with lack of progress in strategy means a lot of talent is leaving voluntarily as well as the associated restructuring of the business.

Advice to Management

Staff are leaving for a reason. Look at departments with high turnover and try figure out what the root cause is - is it line management or something else?